Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

A question

Ro8
Argentina

A question

Post by Ro8 »

Hi again! I have a question, how can you say in Danish "we sees tomorrow, then", or "so, you're saying that you didn't like it", I mean, how do you use a word like "then" or "so" in those sentences, to express something like a consequence

Lerura
Denmark

Re: A question

Post by Lerura »

Ususally questions have verb+subject, and statement have subject+verb, but exclamation words like "så" and "da" can sometimes change that.
Let's begin with "wee sees tommorow"
"Vi ses i morgen!" is a simple statement.
"Ses vi i morgen?" is a simple question.
"Så ses vi i morgen!" means "I count it as an agreement, that we sees tommorow!"
"Så ses vi i morgen" can also means "Then the result will be that we sees tomorrow" if it is the answer to a "What will happen if ..." question
"Så vi ses i morgen!?" means "I conclude that we sees tomorrow. Can you confirm that?" so technically a statement and a question in one sentence, therefore "!?"
"Da ses vi i morgen!" means "If that is true, then we sees tomorrow!".
"Så, ses vi i morgen?" means "Can I conclude that we sees tomorrow?".
"Ses vi i morgen, så?" means the same as "Så, ses vi i morgen?".
"Ses vi i morgen ,da?" means "Can I count it as an agreement that we sees tomorrow?".
"Ses vi da i morgen?" means "Do you say so because you know/expect that we sees tomorrow?".
"Ses vi så i morgen?" means "Will the result be that we sees tomorrow?" Here it is excpected that you explain further if you can say that it will not be the result, e.g you say that you are going to the gym tomorrow, and they says that they is also going to the gym, but they knows that you will not se each other because they knows that you will not be there within the same time frame as them.
"Vi ses da i morgen!" means "You seem to forgot that we sees tomorrow!" or "This contradicts the statement that we sees tomorrow!", i.e "something is wrong with what you just said as it doesn't fit what you said earlier.

Now to the "you are saying that you didn't like it"
Replace "vi" with "du", "ses" with "siger" and "i morgen" with "at du ikke kunne lide det" and you get the valid sentence for this topic, with a few exceptions:
You can't talk about an agreement on not liking whatever "it" is, so the sentence that means something with agreement would just be nonsense.
Also "Så siger du at du ikke kan lide det" will here be a "Then you should ..." answer to a "What should I do if ..." question.
All the other sentence will have a similar meaning to their "vi ses" equivalents, but of course on a different topic.

Pretty much all other topics will fall into the either the "we sees" category or they "you are saying" category, but there might be some topics that don't, but they are rare.

Ro8
Argentina

Re: A question

Post by Ro8 »

Oh! Thanks a lot! That was a super complete and useful answer!

Return to “Danish”