Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Ona piję wodę V.S. Ona pije wodę

Kelikaku
Israel

Ona piję wodę V.S. Ona pije wodę

Post by Kelikaku »

She is drinking water:

My answer:
Ona piję wodę

Duolinog says;
Pay attention to the accents:
Ona pije wodę.

Wrong answer.
Wrong answer.
20220527-180154-Screenshot.png (48.35 KiB) Viewed 736 times

Thanks so very much.
Keep up the good work.

bs'd

David680268
Germany

Re: Ona piję wodę V.S. Ona pije wodę

Post by David680268 »

Kelikaku wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:01 pm

She is drinking water:

My answer:
Ona piję wodę

Duolinog says;
Pay attention to the accents:
Ona pije wodę.

I have just checked it and Duo appears to be right. (I have only just started to learn Polish, so I couldn't tell myself).
In my opinion it is quite good if Duo treats things like this as errors. I don't know how many times Duo has accepted my French sentences even though I missed an accent, or my Russian answers even though I had the wrong case.

Davey944676
Great Britain

Post by Davey944676 »

Hi, Kelikaku - Duo is correct this time. :)

First person - ""(Ja) piję wodę" means "I am drinking water".

Third person - "(Ona/On) pije wode" means "She/He is drinking water"

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/pić#Polish
(Open conjugation table.)

🇬🇧 British Native....Learning Polish 🇵🇱, Russian 🇷🇺, Romanian 🇷🇴, Ukrainian 🇺🇦, French 🇫🇷, Welsh :wales:

Relox84
France

Post by Relox84 »

Duolingo is correct:

Ja piję
Ty pijesz
On/ona/ono pije
My pijemy
Wy pijecie
Oni/one piją

Though from what I've read, piję and pije are homophones.

Dana_Dany Danuta
Poland

Post by Dana_Dany Danuta »

Hi, Kelikaku!

I think you need to learn conjugation of verbs. :)

... I found it in the archive:

https://duolingo.hobune.stream/comment/55752795

Native language: 🇵🇱 Duolingo levels

Be smart and write poems. :D

Davey944676
Great Britain

Post by Davey944676 »

So, Natives...

I can understand that it sounds unnatural to pronounce the accented "ę" on the end of the word, but how would you say in speech "I am drinking water" in a single short sentence with no other context?

Would you pronounce the accent at the end of the word "piję"? Or would you just use the "Ja"at the beginning of the sentence?

Or something else? :)

🇬🇧 British Native....Learning Polish 🇵🇱, Russian 🇷🇺, Romanian 🇷🇴, Ukrainian 🇺🇦, French 🇫🇷, Welsh :wales:

bar999
Poland

Post by bar999 »

Davey944676 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 5:29 pm

I can understand that it sounds unnatural to pronounce the accented "ę" on the end of the word, but how would you say in speech "I am drinking water" in a single short sentence with no other context?

Would you pronounce the accent at the end of the word "piję"? Or would you just use the "Ja" at the beginning of the sentence?

For me, it's rather odd to say "Piję wodę" without any other context. However, I wouldn't pronounce neither "ę" nor add "Ja" in a single sentence unless it's emphasised. You could say "Ona nie pije wody, ale ja piję" (she's not drinking water but I am) - here it makes sense.

If you heard "Piję wodę" in a conversation, you would understand whether it refers to 1st or 3rd person singular. Nothing to worry about!

Native 🇵🇱 | B2 🇬🇧 | A2+ 🇪🇸 | A1 🇳🇱 🇩🇪

Return to “Language”