Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Different ways to be embarrassed

Moderators: xillegas, Stasia

ElmerRamone
United States of America

Different ways to be embarrassed

Post by ElmerRamone »

There seem to be about a million different ways to say someone is embarrassed. Does anybody have any pointers about when to use which expression?

Cifi

Re: Different ways to be embarrassed

Post by Cifi »

From the course I mainly remember two:

Estoy avergonzado/-a

or

Me da vergüenza

Personally, I prefer the latter, may it only be because I'd be less likely to say embarazada instead of avergonzada by accident.

Native: :de: Intermediate: :uk: Lower intermediate: :es: Beginner: :fr: Absolute beginner: 🇬🇷
(If there are errors in what I'm writing in either language, please do correct me - I'll never take it as offense or something like that.)

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

Depending on the context there are many different ways to express embarrassment:

• Avergonzarse / dar vergüenza / sentir vergüenza / estar avergonzado
  • Abochornarse / dar bochorno / sentir bochorno / estar abochornado
  • Sonrojarse
  • Ruborizarse
  • Ponerse colorado
  • Dar palo / ¡qué palo! / ¡Vaya palo!
  • Dar cosa
  • No saber dónde meterse
  • Tierra trágame / ¡Que me trague la tierra!

I think it is something you cannot learn from any language course. It is more cultural than theoretical. In my opinion, the best thing you can do is to watch movies and series in original version, and of course talk with native speakers as much as you can. You will grasp all the nuances little by little by listening to people and taking part in real-life conversations. If you are not sure which one to use in every situation, stick with me da vergüenza. You will never go wrong with this one.

🇬🇧 🇪🇸 🇵🇹 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 | Learning: 🇯🇵 |

EranBarLev
Israel

Post by EranBarLev »

Cifi wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 3:15 pm

Personally, I prefer the latter, may it only be because I'd be less likely to say embarazada instead of avergonzada by accident.

Saying embarazada instead of avergonzada is indeed a sure way to be embarrassed! 🤣

🇮🇱N 🇬🇧C1 🇪🇸B2 🇵🇹B1 🇫🇷B1 🇸🇦A1 🇷🇺A1

Return to “Language”