Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

What are your Language Learning Goals for 2022?

Jenga218
Australia

What are your Language Learning Goals for 2022?

Post by Jenga218 »

There were several threads like this on the Duolingo forum, but since they'll be gone soon, I figured it would be worth while starting a fresh thread in this fresh, new forum!

My goals are
🇫🇷 French - to read and consume a lot more mainstream media. Books, the Sydney French Film festival, movies and television.
I'm also hoping to complete the French tree to legendary on Duolingo.

🇮🇱 Hebrew - I've just started! I hope to be able to have a 10-15 minute conversation in Hebrew, and engage in regular online speaking exchanges by the end of the year. And also eavesdrop on my bosses who both speak Hebrew.

This week I successfully understood 3 words from their conversation: אני (I) תודה (thanks) and כן (yes), so you could say I'm basically fluent. 8-) 🙃

I am also hoping to maintain my streak this year. My little brother has a streak of over 600 days.
I personally hit 75 days this week and he offered me a single word of encouragement:

🇨🇦 🇦🇺 Native
:fr: - Upper Intermediate | 🇮🇱 Beginner | 🇪🇸 Beginner (inactive)

IceVajal
Germany

Re: What are your Language Learning Goals for 2022?

Post by IceVajal »

I started Russian last summer on another platform and just added Duolingo in December, doing both plus some podcasts. I want to be able to have a short conversation this summer. When I walk the dogs in the Schrebergarten I get the chance to, there are several Russians.
Ialso started reading (very) easy short stories; I write my shopping list in Russian and use a language journal. So I can track my progress.

Dutch I just added about 3-4 weeks ago. My Dutch grammar book just arrived, so time to dive into grammar! I listen to a Dutch podcast every day, make it a habit. I want to be able to read (easy reading) books at the end of the year.

Just for fun I started ASL on Memrise this week. It's perfect for a short tram ride. ;)

N :de: - B2 :us: - Beginner :ru: (Busuu: B1) - :netherlands:

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

My goal is to improve my Japanese reading skills and to learn up to 365 new characters (I already know about 1000 kanji). I'd also like to start learning Polish later this year, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to study both languages at the same time.

🇬🇧 🇪🇸 🇵🇹 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 | Learning: 🇯🇵 |

60yo

Post by 60yo »

So I (re-)started Mandarin Chinese. My initial impulse? To say four Chinese characters a day, on average, fully assimilated in context. But that amounts to 1095 characters a year! I'd be talking nonsense. So let's say getting to HSK 3 in two years. That's 300 words in a year, so roughly one every two days. Frankly, just sticking with it will be quite an achievement.

Jacko079
United States of America

Post by Jacko079 »

I plan to finish the Arabic course on Duolingo, and then start the reverse course. I am also learning Arabic on Memrise and LanguageDrops, I plan to keep on learning with those platforms too. I also want to increase my french vocabulary also, so once I finish the Arabic course on Duolingo, I'm going to go a little more in-depth into the french course. So, those are my plans!

Learning: Italian and Arabic.

DJCat
Canada

Post by DJCat »

My goal is to increase my study time for Swahili. I have been studying for a few years but kind of just casually. This year I am really focusing on it. I am using Duolingo, Language Transfer, Mango Languages, Anki, and my grammar books and will start to incorporate listening via Youtube and more reading. I am learning Swahili because my partner is Tanzanian and most of his family does not speak English.

🇨🇦 🇬🇧 (N) 🇹🇿 (Learning)

(Joanne325766 / JoanneS57 on Duolingo)

ppelk
Finland

Post by ppelk »

For me, this year's goals revolve around Spanish.

I'm between checkpoints 5-6, with 24000xp in Spanish, and will keep churning that forward.

I also will soon finish Swedish from Spanish tree, I have only 13 skills remaining. Then possibly keep drilling it a bit more, and start another laddering tree, possibly French from Spanish. An alternative to that would be Spanish from French, which is also available.

In Autumn, I'd like to enroll to a real life intermediate Spanish course at my local university. AND, most importantly I'm likely to travel to a Spanish-speaking country for some real use. Spain and Peru are both possible this year! Fingers crossed..

Native Finn, based in East Sussex, :gb:. :arrow: https://www.duolingo.com/profile/ppelk

Sidor
Thailand

Post by Sidor »

I guess my priority is to continue solidifying my Russian basics. Don't want to set too much hope since my learning capability is affected by autism spectrum so my progress is always slow. Honestly, I don't think my Russian skill will become anywhere near decent until I keep hammering on memorizing the pattern for the next two or three years. Depending on how it progresses, I may return to pick up Ukrainian course on Duo again.

🇹🇭 Native :us: B2-C1 :ru: A2

CaitNicRun
United States of America

Post by CaitNicRun »

To continue to improve my Irish so I don't need subtitles. Simple sentences are fine, but those complex compound sentences, especially with the copula, lose me half way through!

And I want to get certified officially. Casual tests suggest I'm at B2 , but that's just reading and writing. I'm sure I'm lower speaking in real time.

Image L5

pawndemic
Germany

Become better in Spanish

Post by pawndemic »

Well, that question is easy to answer, because it will be the same answer since 2 years: I still want to overcome my intermediate level of Spanish and move forward in the advanced zone. In the last fall I was the first time since the pandemic began, in Spain and I managed my vacations completly in Spanish, incluiding a lot conversations with the hotel stuff, which was thanks to the pandemic possible due the lack of guests, and some people in the bus or tram. So in that field I am more or less satisfied with my progress. But reading books still sucks. Nearly in every page I have to look up many words or expression. Or I don't know what that or this expression exactly mean in the given context. Here seems to be still a lot of work to be done.
Apart from Spanish I have no goal. I will no't work on my English — so, sorry it will not get better any time soon :D But as always I dabble a little bit in other languages like French, Italian, Russian or Catalan to have some sort of diversion, in case I need a short break from Spanish :D

native: 🇩🇪, B2 - C1: 🇬🇧 🇪🇸, A1: 🇫🇷 🇮🇹

marpole
Canada

Post by marpole »

I have re-committed to language study recently and have the following goals over the next 365 days (ie. by the end of February 2023, rather than the 2022 calendar end).

Ukrainian - I have just started studying Ukrainian, as a response to recent developments. I am still working at the Characters section. I would like to complete the Duolingo Ukrainian course through to gilded level 5 by the end of February 2023. I also have access through my local library to Mango Languages, and I would like to work through all 89 lessons of the Mango Ukrainian course also by the end of February 2023.

Norwegian - I have been poking around at the Duolingo Norwegian course for a number of months. I have 128 Crowns already, achieved in a cascading fashion (so, a number of level 5 crowns, level 4 crowns, etc.). I would like to complete the entire Duolingo Norwegian course to at least level 1 by the end of February 2023 - which means working through 135 new skill units. I intend to also attempt to cycle as many skill units up as possible, though I will not be able to get the whole tree to level 5 gold in a year.

Latin - working at the Duolingo tree as well as a number of independent texts: Getting Started with Latin (half-way through - it is a quick read); Latin for Canadian Schools (older text - the equivalent of three years of Canadian high school Latin in the 1960s); and then Lingua Latina Per Se Illustrata, Orberg.

Japanese - working elsewhere (wanikani.com) than Duolingo just now on a daily basis. I will return to Duolingo Japanese in the future, though I anticipate I will still be working at Wanikani for at least this year. Aiming for 4000+ kanji and vocabulary items by end of Fbruary 2023.

bar999
Poland

Post by bar999 »

I'm planning to make progress in Spanish (I hope I'll have turned my Spanish tree golden by the end of 2022) since that is my main target on Duolingo.

I'm still going to work on Dutch. I started learning it a month ago and I find it really interesting so far.

And also, I'll try to learn some Italian to be able to communicate on my trip to Italy this summer.

Native 🇵🇱 | B2 🇬🇧 | A2+ 🇪🇸 | A1 🇳🇱 🇩🇪

η γατα
Great Britain

Post by η γατα »

I started relearning Spanish on Duolingo when my kids started it at high school - I had previously studied it to 'A' level (badly!). I lost enthusiasm for it a bit during lockdown, although I don't want to lose the progress I made. Earlier this year I decided to try another language too - my maternal grandparents were Italian & Greek so I thought about those languages. I thought Italian might be too similar to Spanish but was a bit daunted by Greek - but decided to give it a go and discovered I LOVE it.

So my goals are:

Spanish - continue to do at least one new lesson per day on average, and regular practice, to make sure I don't forget what I've learned

Greek - I have only just started so really I just want to learn as much new vocabulary as I can, and start to get my head around the different cases because these baffle me completely at the moment!

Overall - maintain my streak (currently 764 days)

Native English speaker, learning Spanish & Greek

Return to “Random Thoughts”