Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

The weak declination

Moderators: MoniqueMaRie, Cifi

SweNedGuy
Belgium

The weak declination

Post by SweNedGuy »

Die schwache Deklination (oder n-Deklination).

Anybody having learnt Latin knows that there are several declinations. Here I would like to pinpoint to the weak declination of nouns in German. Weak nouns are mainly used for male persons (something for the ladies to laugh at). A typical example: Der Junge. In the accusative/dative: den Jungen/dem Jungen. All plural cases are also 'Jungen'.

Some other nouns are weak e.g.

• der Name, der Zeuge,
  • der Kommilitone (another one from the DL course)

There is only one neutral weak noun: das Herz.
Ich trage dich im Herzen. Freely: You're in my heart.

You find more on : https://mein-deutschbuch.de/n-deklination.html

Speaking :netherlands: :fr: :uk: :es: Learning :de:(B2-) :it:(B1) Image :sweden: :portugal: Image (A)

Cifi

Re: The weak declination

Post by Cifi »

Being a native speaker, I wasn't really aware of this difference.

It seems to happen with most masculine nouns ending in -e, doesn't it?

Der Löwe - siehst du den Löwen?

Der Affe - siehst du den Affen?

Der Wille - gegen meinen Willen

Not all though, at least one behaves different, and possibly more.

Der Käse - magst du den Käse?

Native: :de: Intermediate: :uk: Lower intermediate: :es: Beginner: :fr: Absolute beginner: 🇬🇷
(If there are errors in what I'm writing in either language, please do correct me - I'll never take it as offense or something like that.)

SweNedGuy
Belgium

Post by SweNedGuy »

Prior to 1934, Dutch used to have cases and also weak nouns. There are some petrified composite words where these are still visible. Nowadays, most people mistake it for a plural instead of a genitive of a weak noun. Two examples with a German cognate added (which may be unusual or sound awkward).

Hartendief (Herzendieb)
Gravensteen (Grafenstein)

Speaking :netherlands: :fr: :uk: :es: Learning :de:(B2-) :it:(B1) Image :sweden: :portugal: Image (A)

Cifi

Post by Cifi »

What happened in 1934 that introduced the change, would you know?

Native: :de: Intermediate: :uk: Lower intermediate: :es: Beginner: :fr: Absolute beginner: 🇬🇷
(If there are errors in what I'm writing in either language, please do correct me - I'll never take it as offense or something like that.)

Return to “Language”