Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

[ARCHIVE] Turkish Bayrams

Jacko079
United States of America

[ARCHIVE] Turkish Bayrams

Post by Jacko079 »

This was originally posted by alicanerturk

https://archive.ph/1bnzq

Hello,

I wanted to share Turkish bayrams with all Turkish learners. Because, one of the most important parts of learning a new language is learning about a new culture. There are many national and religious bayrams of Turks. "Bayram" is an Arabic word and can be replaced by "feast" or "festival". But I wanted to use "bayram", I think it cannot be completely replaced by another foreign word.
I just shared the bayrams which are only celebrated in Turkey. Although Ramadan and Sacrifice Feasts are celebrated in other Muslim countries, in Turkey you will see these Feasts are combined with Turkish culture. Lastly, International Workers' Day, New Year's Day etc. are also celebrated in Turkey, but just because they are international, I did not want to inform you about them.

National Bayrams

April 23: National Sovereignty and Children's Day

On April 23, 1920 the Turkish Grand National Assembly (TGNA) was inaugurated in Ankara. It was the dream of firstly Mustafa Kemal (Ataturk) and other revolutionary young Turkish military officers.

On April 23, 1929, upon Atatürk’s proposal, the Turkish Grand National Assembly decreed April 23 as a national holiday dedicated to children. Thus Turkey became the first country in the world that celebrates an official Children’s Day. Today this national holiday is celebrated in Turkey with children from all over the world in a spirit of peace and harmony.
TGNAFrom the opening of the first Turkish Grand National Assembly.

May 19: Commemoration of Atatürk, Youth and Sports Day in Turkey

The founder of the Turkish Republic, Mustafa Kemal Atatürk, arrived in Samsun on May 19, 1919, to start a popular uprising against the decision of the World War I allies to divide many territories of the defeated Ottoman Empire. Turkey presently accepts the date of Atatürk’s arrival in Samsun as the starting date of the Turkish War of Independence. Following Atatürk’s wish, the Turkish government declared May 19 to be Youth and Sports Day and made it an official holiday in 1938. The day received its present name, the “Commemoration of Atatürk, Youth and Sports Day”, in 1981, which became the 100th anniversary of Atatürk’s birth.
Samsun From a newspaper that informs people about Mustafa Kemal Pasha's arriving to Samsun.

August 30: Victory Day

Following the defeat of the Ottoman Empire at the end of World War I, Turkey was occupied by allied forces.
This led to the start of the Turkish War of Independence in 1919, with the Turkish forces led by Mustafa Kemal Pasha.
The battle of Dumlupınar took place in Kutahya province in western Turkey. Although foreign forces didn't leave Turkish soil until the autumn of 1922, August 30th is accepted as the date of the Turkish army’s victory.
The Turkish Republic was proclaimed on October 29th 1923, in the new capital of Ankara. Atatürk was elected as the first President.
Victory Day was first celebrated on August 30th 1923, becoming a national holiday in 1935.
Kocatepe The Great Man: Mustafa Kemal Pasha is leading the Turkish Independence war from Kocatepe.

October 29: Republic Day

After Turkey's victory in the War of Independence, the Turkish parliament proclaimed the new Turkish state as a republic. A new constitution, which the parliament adopted on October 29, 1923, replaced the constitution of the Ottoman Empire.
The leader in the Turkish War of Independence, Mustafa Kemal Ataturk, became Turkey's first president on the same day.
Turkey

Religious Bayrams

Ramadan Feast

The Ramadan Feast is the first day of Shawwal, which is the 10th month of the Islamic calendar. Each month in the Islamic calendar begins with the first sighting of the new moon. As a result, the exact dates of the Ramadan Feast change every year, according to the Gregorian calendar. Celebrating the Ramadan Feast after a month of fasting is one of the earliest and most important traditions of Islam.
Mosque This is called "mahya" and it only appears in Ramadan month between the minarets of the mosques. It says "Welcome Ramadan".

Sacrifice Feast

Traditionally, on the first day of the Festival of Sacrifice, men of each family go to a mosque for a special morning prayer. Then the sacrifice ritual begins. Families share about two thirds of the animal's meat with relatives and neighbors, and they traditionally give about one third to the poor. During the Feast of Sacrifice, not only candies but also the meat of sacrificial animal are served to guests.

Learning: Italian and Arabic.

Return to “Turkish”