Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Questions can also be asked or experiences shared in this German sub-forum

Moderators: MoniqueMaRie, Cifi

g-heike
Germany

Questions can also be asked or experiences shared in this German sub-forum

Post by g-heike »

This German language sub-forum looks at the moment as if it is only intended for archiving posts from the Duolingo forum.

But as I understand it, there is just as much possibility to ask one's specific questions or share one's experiences here as there was back in the Duolingo forum.

Not that it is misunderstood, my thread here is not meant for you to ask all questions here in this thread, but to open your own original post in the forum so that other learners or native German speakers can reply there.

pawndemic
Germany

Re: Questions can also be asked or experiences shared in this German sub-forum

Post by pawndemic »

Yes, at the moment most of the action in the whole forum is saving threads from the Duolingo forum. I guess, that is normal and will change as soon as there is nothing left to be saved.
I would propose that we here also establish the following subforums:

Language, Culture & Society, Resources, Practice

native: 🇩🇪, B2 - C1: 🇬🇧 🇪🇸, A1: 🇫🇷 🇮🇹

pawndemic
Germany

Post by pawndemic »

pawndemic wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:13 pm

I would propose that we here also establish the following subforums:

Language, Culture & Society, Resources, Practice

Oh, as I see, it is already done. Thanks to whom, whoever did it.

2GreyCats
United States of America

Post by 2GreyCats »

An idea— What about creating a thread for each of the Skills in a tree? For example: Restaurant, Jobs, Leisure, Hobbies…

Would that encourage more learners to post a question about something in a lesson they are struggling with? I don’t know.

“What the space program needs are more English majors.”— Michael Collins, Gemini 10/Apollo 11.

Native: 🇺🇸. Learning: 🇩🇪 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇨🇳 🇯🇵

g-heike
Germany

Post by g-heike »

Don't know, my experience on the Duolingo forum was that most of the questions were about German grammar or specific translations than about jobs, etc. I think whoever has questions will ask them and when a forum is too structured, my experience has been that sometimes you don't know where to put your question.

pawndemic
Germany

Post by pawndemic »

g-heike wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:03 pm

I think whoever has questions will ask them and when a forum is too structured, my experience has been that sometimes you don't know where to put your question.

As I understood the post of [mention]2GreyCats[/mention] , he or she wants the same subforums here as in Duolingo the skills were organized. So, when you have a question about a sentence which was in the "job"-skill then you should post that in the "Job"-subforum here.

But I in my opinion that would be a little too much and has the risk of that we get the same question in different subforums. But I agree, mostly there will be questions about grammar or expression where the sentence in Duolingo only was the point where the problem popped up.

2GreyCats
United States of America

Post by 2GreyCats »

g-heike wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:03 pm

Don't know, my experience on the Duolingo forum was that most of the questions were about German grammar or specific translations than about jobs, etc. I think whoever has questions will ask them and when a forum is too structured, my experience has been that sometimes you don't know where to put your question.

No, I know people aren’t asking about jobs. That’s not what I meant.

But they might ask questions about sentences in the Duolingo “Jobs” skill. Or Food 2, or Hobbies, etc. Since all Sentence Discussions are now locked, is there a way to let Duo users ask questions about specific sentences here?

Sorry if my sentence was unclear.

“What the space program needs are more English majors.”— Michael Collins, Gemini 10/Apollo 11.

Native: 🇺🇸. Learning: 🇩🇪 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇨🇳 🇯🇵

g-heike
Germany

Post by g-heike »

Yes, there is a way for Example:

Someone needs help about the German expression "Durst haben".

So you can ask your Question and add the link to the sentence discussion: https://forum.duolingo.com/comment/12147382

If there is no sentence discussion, then you write the given task and you copy your answer to this task and aks, why this is according to duolingo wrong.

Given task: Er hat Durst, doch er trinkt nicht.

My answer: He is thursty, but he does not drink

Siobhan688078
Wales

Post by Siobhan688078 »

Good point, this is an example that can confuse learners.
I would put the answer slightly differently, because "he does not drink" somehow conjures up a habit, or something this person is doing regularly for a good reason, e. g. for health reasons he does not drink (alcohol). To get the present tenses right in English is one of the most difficult things because German is relatively lax as far as tenses are concerned. So my answer would be: He is thirsty, but he is not drinking

Seiryuu
Canada

Post by Seiryuu »

Speaking of which, where should Sentence Discussions go? Here, or in one of the subforums?

2GreyCats wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:57 pm

An idea— What about creating a thread for each of the Skills in a tree? For example: Restaurant, Jobs, Leisure, Hobbies…

Would that encourage more learners to post a question about something in a lesson they are struggling with? I don’t know.

I don't recommend this, as Duolingo has changed up the skill trees before, which could mean that, for example, "Restaurant" no longer exists, and its sentences are sent to other modules.

:canada: – Native
:cn: (Cantonese) – Conversational
:de: – Low-intermediate | :it: – Low-intermediate | :jp: – Conversational

izaacmp
United States of America

Post by izaacmp »

I liked a lot of the ideas above.

Will there be a spot to ask questions about specific sentences like in Duolingo, or would that quickly make Duome too bloated? I often need help understanding grammar in a sentence, and I don’t now know where to ask those questions if they haven’t already been answered in Duolingo.

Seiryuu
Canada

Post by Seiryuu »

izaacmp wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:00 pm

I liked a lot of the ideas above.

Will there be a spot to ask questions about specific sentences like in Duolingo, or would that quickly make Duome too bloated? I often need help understanding grammar in a sentence, and I don’t now know where to ask those questions if they haven’t already been answered in Duolingo.

There's actually a script that will port a sentence on Duolingo to here on the forums. Check out this post.

:canada: – Native
:cn: (Cantonese) – Conversational
:de: – Low-intermediate | :it: – Low-intermediate | :jp: – Conversational

Return to “German”