Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Officially(ish) B2 en Français

Jenga218
Australia

Officially(ish) B2 en Français

Post by Jenga218 »

So I've been thinking about joining my local Alliance Française for a while. Last night I was looking at some of the courses they offer which included some conversation practice. Reading, writing, listening are all things I can practice online easily but finding opportunities to speak is the biggest challenge for me.

I wanted to sign up to a B1 level course but because I'm not known to them I had to do a mini placement assessment. This isn't quite like sitting down and sitting an exam; there was a brief listening exercise with multiple choice questions to answer. Just now, I had a phone call from their assessor and I had to speak to her on the phone for about 10 minutes in French.

It has been confirmed that I am, at least conversationally, around a B2 level, and she suggested I join that conversation group instead. It's not a formal test or anything but feels like a little achievement all the same. :D

🇨🇦 🇦🇺 Native
:fr: - Upper Intermediate | 🇮🇱 Beginner | 🇪🇸 Beginner (inactive)

Explorer
Portugal

Re: Officially(ish) B2 en Français

Post by Explorer »

Hey that's an amazing achievement @Jenga218! I feel particularly nervous when I get a phone call and have to talk with a native who seems to speak faster than light speed. My sincere congratulations. Now enjoy the experience and learn as much as you can! :D

🇬🇧 🇪🇸 🇵🇹 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 | Learning: 🇯🇵 |

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Did you just use to Duolingo to achieve that or did you utilize other sources as well.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Jenga218
Australia

Post by Jenga218 »

Corinnebelle wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:40 am

Did you just use to Duolingo to achieve that or did you utilize other sources as well.

No, I didn't achieve this with Duolingo. I had quite extensive French language instruction in school in Canada, and was probably more fluent than this when I was 11/12 years old. But it's been over 13 years since I left Canada and I haven't really properly practiced my French in 11 years. My input was also deeply flawed - most of my French teachers were native English speakers themselves as were my classmates so I'm sure many grammar errors were allowed that wouldn't have been if I'd had native speakers to learn from. As it was, even when we spoke French and couldn't think of a word, we often 'copped out' and used the English word which I struggle to not do when I'm practicing speaking now).

Having said that, I think if I'd done this assessment 3 months ago (before I 'picked it up' on Duolingo again) I might not have done quite so well?

Initially when I started Duolingo again in October I was able to 'test out' to unit 6 of the French tree. After 6 or so weeks of regular practice in the early levels I guess I had refreshed enough of that long-term memory that I could then able to 'test out' of the rest of the tree to 'complete' the French course. Only to level 1 of each skill, mind you, and I'm now working my way through the tree to bring it up to higher levels and I'm certainly making many mistakes - and picking up on many finer grammar points in the process.

Duolingo isn't assessing my ability to communicate, don't forget - it's AI so it's testing spelling and grammar more than it's testing my ability to be creative in the language (as you need to be with speaking and writing). But no, this certainly isn't a 'thanks to Duolingo' situation.

🇨🇦 🇦🇺 Native
:fr: - Upper Intermediate | 🇮🇱 Beginner | 🇪🇸 Beginner (inactive)

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Jenga218 wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:08 am
Corinnebelle wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:40 am

No, I didn't achieve this with Duolingo. I had quite extensive French language instruction in school in Canada, and was probably more fluent than this when I was 11/12 years old. But it's been over 13 years since I left Canada and I haven't really properly practiced my French in 11 years. My input was also deeply flawed - most of my French teachers were native English speakers themselves as were my classmates so I'm sure many grammar errors were allowed that wouldn't have been if I'd had native speakers to learn from. As it was, even when we spoke French and couldn't think of a word, we often 'copped out' and used the English word which I struggle to not do when I'm practicing speaking now).

Having said that, I think if I'd done this assessment 3 months ago (before I 'picked it up' on Duolingo again) I might not have done quite so well?

Initially when I started Duolingo again in October I was able to 'test out' to unit 6 of the French tree. After 6 or so weeks of regular practice in the early levels I guess I had refreshed enough of that long-term memory that I could then able to 'test out' of the rest of the tree to 'complete' the French course. Only to level 1 of each skill, mind you, and I'm now working my way through the tree to bring it up to higher levels and I'm certainly making many mistakes - and picking up on many finer grammar points in the process.

Duolingo isn't assessing my ability to communicate, don't forget - it's AI so it's testing spelling and grammar more than it's testing my ability to be creative in the language (as you need to be with speaking and writing). But no, this certainly isn't a 'thanks to Duolingo' situation.

Thanks Jenga, I've always wanted to ask someone that!

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

You are amazing [mention]Jenga218[/mention] ,

In so many ways.

Thank you for all you give to this community.
You are greatly admired.
I hope you may visit these forums again.

Return to “Achievements”