Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

God vs Allah? Is there a difference between the two words?

Moderator: The_lost

Deleted User 114

God vs Allah? Is there a difference between the two words?

Post by Deleted User 114 »

Is there another word for God that is not the word Allah? Allah in Arabic, (as far as I know) translates to “The God”.

With all respect- say, in Christianity, Allah is not God.

If I were to talk about Allah, and use the word Allah, would people think I was speaking about Allah, or would they think I was just speaking about some god/deity?

When non-Muslims use the word Allah, do Muslims think they are speaking about Allah, or do they think they are speaking about some other God?

If so, what is another word for God, that is not the word Allah?

I hope I’m understandable and did not offend anyone. :)

Nada
Egypt

Re: God vs Allah? Is there a difference between the two words?

Post by Nada »

The name of Allah is Allah, and whoever I hear him says Allah: “Know that he speaks of who created the earth and the heavens and what is between them, whatever his religion is.”

I'm a Muslim but also when I hear someone say "Allah" at that time, I definitely ask him about your religion and that's just so I know how to talk to him. For example, if he is a Muslim, we often say during our conversation: Bless the Prophet Muhammad, may God’s prayers and peace be upon him, I have to find out if he is a Muslim or a non-Muslim so that I can decide how to talk to him. I certainly cannot tell anyone other than a Muslim to pray for the Prophet Muhammad.

Yes, of course, if you say, the person you are talking to will know that you are talking about Allah, who created the earth and the sky and what is between them.

And the word that denotes Allah, which is not the word of Allah, is the rest of the names of Allah

I think the people who say Allah are the majority of Muslims, my Christian friends sometimes I hear them say (the Messiah) and not Allah

I find it strange to translate the name (Allah) to god
Because the names have not been translated, for example, my name is Nada, and if you translate it into English, it will be a drop of dew. So, will in Arab countries, I will be called dew, and in foreign countries will I call dewdrop?

I hope what I wrote was good and not bad🌹🌹🌹

ابتسم دااااائما :D
Always smile ;) :D
🥀🥀

Deleted User 114

Thank you Nada for your answer!

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Dewdrop is a pretty name. Nada however unfortunately if we do not understand it to be a foreign name in English means nothing :oops: Since it is capitalized we know it is a foreign name and not the English nothing. And it is a pretty name in its own right. I like how Arabic and Hebrew names mean something in their language. Most of our English names have meanings, but it is not a meaning from our language. It might be borrowed from another language, so we have lost the breath of it. I do however understand why you would want Nada over dew drop, because Nada knowing you speak Arabic sounds like a name, whereas dewdrop isn't generally a name in English. It sounds like a diamond though! :D

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Nada
Egypt

Post by Nada »

Your words are beautiful,[mention]Corinnebelle[/mention] ... and I am glad that you like my name... It is strange that your names are taken from another language..... I think that many Arabic names are completely understandable to us. Our names are completely Arabic... Like the name Qamar means in English the moon ... and this name means exactly the moon in the sky ... and also the name Shams, which means the sun ... and there is a name
jamila, which in English means beautiful

Did you know that in Islam it is obligatory for parents to give the child a beautiful name with meaning,
That's why most of our names have beautiful meanings 😊🌹🌷🌹🌷🌹🌷🌺🌳💐🌻🌾

🥀🥀

Stasia
Poland

Post by Stasia »

Jacko079 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 6:18 am

Is there another word for God that is not the word Allah? Allah in Arabic, (as far as I know) translates to “The God”.

There are three major religions which come from the same stem. Jewish people are the foundation of that stem, and they believe in the Hebrew Bible (which roughly, although not 100%, corresponds to the Christian Old Testament - there are a few books which made it to one and not to the other). Christian people added New Testament. Muslim people came from the same tradition (respecting Jewish Bible, but seeing Jesus as another prophet, rather than the Son of God) and added Quran.

Hence, at a purely academic level, Yahweh = God = Allah. In fact, the word sometimes used in the Hebrew Bible for God - Elohim - is plural for the word El, which means "god," and "Allah" comes from the same root (as Arabic and Hebrew are two closely related languages).

However, these three religions emphasize different things and praise God in very different ways. Therefore, it is understandable if believers of one do not recognize their own deity in the beliefs and practices of the other two. Nonetheless, I think many Jews, Christians, and Muslims recognize a closer affinity within these three religions, than with religions which come from totally different stems, such as Hinduism, Buddhism, Native American religions, etc.

[mention]Nada[/mention], thank you for explaining your name, it is beautiful! I was wondering about it, because just like [mention]Corinnebelle[/mention], I was associating it with the Spanish word for "nothing."

Sources:
The Hebrew Bible: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hebrew_Bible
Differences between the Hebrew Bible and Christian Old Testament: https://www.bibleodyssey.org/en/tools/b ... brew-bible
Islamic view of the Bible: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_view_of_the_Bible
El, Elohim, Allah etymology: https://www.etymonline.com/word/Elohim

Native: :poland:; Fluent: :es:, :us:; Getting there: Image; Intermediate: :fr:; Beginner: :ukraine:

Deleted User 114

[mention]Nada[/mention]. Dewdrop is a very lovely name, I love it!

[mention]Stasia[/mention]. Thank you for your clear and concise comment. :)

Nada
Egypt

Post by Nada »

Did you know I've always been proud of my name 🌸💐🌺🌻🌼🌹

But now I'm sad because if a foreigner heard my name and translated it it would be "nothing."😔

But I am very happy that you liked the meaning of my real name [mention]Jacko079[/mention] , Nada in Egypt is a drop of dew 🌻🌼

🥀🥀

Stasia
Poland

Post by Stasia »

Nada wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 5:30 pm

Did you know I've always been proud of my name 🌸💐🌺🌻🌼🌹

But now I'm sad because if a foreigner heard my name and translated it it would be "nothing."😔

But I am very happy that you liked the meaning of my real name @Jacko079 , Nada in Egypt is a drop of dew 🌻🌼

Don't be sad! There are so many different languages, and similarly sounding words mean different things. At least, it's not a bad word. ;) I always giggle when I encounter a word that is innocent in one language but really bad in another.

Just for you, here are some flowers adorned with droplets of water (in this case, rain, not morning dew, but it's the same symbolism of life and hope, and everything that's good in life):

Native: :poland:; Fluent: :es:, :us:; Getting there: Image; Intermediate: :fr:; Beginner: :ukraine:

Nada
Egypt

Post by Nada »

Really that's amazing, thank you. This is very kind of you. Very happy with your words and I love the picture. I love flowers so much and I love rain too

This is all beauty and all hope and optimism for me 💜💜

I really liked this 💜💜

Do you know that my nickname on social media is Nada Al-Zohour (Drop Dew Flowers)
😊
Thank you again for your kind and wonderful words, this was a real moral support for me💙💚💛💕💕[mention]Stasia[/mention] 💜💕💜

🥀🥀

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]Nada[/mention] Sorry to make you sad! :(

Nada
You are a dewdrop,

A diamond in the sun,

Full of love and fun.

Don't let life stop!

![](https://www.incrediblesnaps.com/wp-cont ... phs-31.jpg)

Stunning dew drop photographs

Now I know what nada means in Egypt.

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Nada
Egypt

Post by Nada »

Really really really thank you for your very nice words🌹🌷🌹. It made me very happy and made me feel very comfortable🌸. This is really cool and you are all amazing and cute and these pictures are so beautiful.. I can't find words to express how happy I am with your support and beautiful words, but I'm really happy to meet such wonderful people as you... In Duolingo I made friends with people from other Arab countries, but they betrayed My trust in them ... and so far I was sad .... but your words [mention]Corinnebelle[/mention] ,[mention]Jacko079[/mention] and [mention]Stasia[/mention] which for me are a wonderful support and I needed it with all my heart Thank you, I am very happy that I had the opportunity to get to know you💐🌸🌷🌼🌺🌱🌸🌷🌹💮🍁🍂🍃

🥀🥀

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]Nada[/mention] I hope you have a better experience here!

Nada
Egypt

Post by Nada »

Corinnebelle wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 11:30 pm

@Nada I hope you have a better experience here!

Thank you very much :) 💕💐🌹🌷💐

🥀🥀

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Golden dewdrop flowers

Source

These are really beautiful!

Nada
Egypt

Post by Nada »

Corinnebelle wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 11:41 pm

Golden dewdrop flowers

Source

These are really beautiful!

Oh, she's really pretty, that's amazing
Looking at this amazing sight makes me feel so happy :)

Can I download the image 😍

🥀🥀

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]Nada[/mention] I don't own the copyright on the picture. If you want permission you would have to ask the source. For yourself, it is probably ok as long as you don't like sell it or something.

wayfarer

Post by wayfarer »

Jacko079 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 6:18 am

If I were to talk about Allah, and use the word Allah, would people think I was speaking about Allah, or would they think I was just speaking about some god/deity?

When non-Muslims use the word Allah, do Muslims think they are speaking about Allah, or do they think they are speaking about some other God?

If so, what is another word for God, that is not the word Allah?

I hope I’m understandable and did not offend anyone. :)

If I understand you correctly you are asking whether there's a word for 'deity' or the concept of god (with a small g) that is separate from the name of God Himself, i.e Allah. Is that right?

So for example if an Arabic speaker were to ask a pagan about their god(s) what word would they use in a sentance such as "Tell me about your god or gods".

If that is so then there's the word 'ilah' ( plural alihat, feminine ilahat) which essentially means 'god with a small g', or deity or 'that which is worshipped'. This word is found in the famous Islamic declaration of faith -

La ilah ha illallah
There is no god except Allah"

In practice the word Rabb, meaning something like Lord, is also often used to refer to a deity or the being that one worships.

Having said that I know that in some parts of the Arabic speaking world Christians and other non-Muslims tend to use the word Allah to refer to their God. I've seen Arabic translations of the Bible that use the word Allah for God throughout.

I hope this answers your question

I apologise that I don't have Arabic text capabilities on this device hence I've had to use transliterations. I'm not a native Arabic speaker so I'm sure those who are will correct me if I am mistaken.

X-81
United States of America

Post by X-81 »

"Allah" is the God who we are Muslims worship. But is different from the god worshiped by other religions, such as Christ, calling the name of "Christ" on Jesus the son of Mary, which they see as their God, and Jews call their God "Jehovah" who they worship..
So called the name "Allah" is the God who We Muslims worship.

I'm an Arabian person, I hope I didn't offend anyone ..

𝙼𝚘𝚑𝚊𝚖𝚖𝚎𝚍 ♕.
𝚠𝚑𝚒𝚕𝚎 𝚗𝚘𝚂𝚞𝚌𝚎𝚜𝚜:
𝚝𝚛𝚢 𝚊𝚐𝚊𝚒𝚗()
𝚒𝚏 𝚍𝚎𝚊𝚍: 𝚋𝚛𝚎𝚊𝚔

Deleted User 114

Thank you [mention]wayfarer[/mention] and [mention]X-81[/mention]! Thank you for your clear words!

Joumy110
Lebanon

Post by Joumy110 »

Allah means God in Arabic. No matter the religion. I saw a lot of comments that has religion in them saying Muslim say Allah, which is true. However, as a Christian myself, I always say Allah wen referring to God. If you open an English Bible on a verse that has the word God in it, and then you open that same verse in an Arabic Bible, you will see the word Allah in the verse.

Return to “Language”