Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

dolor de cintura

Moderators: Stasia, xillegas

ElmerRamone
United States of America

dolor de cintura

Post by ElmerRamone »

Duolingo uses the phrase 'dolor de cintura' and translates it as 'waist pain' several times. I'm North American and cannot figure out what this means. I've never heard anyone say this. I guess you could have a pain in the location of your waist, but it's generally not a 'thing'. Is 'waist pain' something that is said frequently in Spanish?

Julian_L.
Argentina

Re: dolor de cintura

Post by Julian_L. »

ElmerRamone wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 12:13 pm

Is 'waist pain' something that is said frequently in Spanish?

Yes.

:argentina:N :it: Image

Cifi

Post by Cifi »

[mention]Julian_L.[/mention]: the expression dolor de cintura seems to be used along with dolor lumbar, dolor lumbar bajo, lumbalgia, lumbago.

Are all of these interchangeable or are there differences?

Native: :de: Intermediate: :uk: Lower intermediate: :es: Beginner: :fr: Absolute beginner: 🇬🇷
(If there are errors in what I'm writing in either language, please do correct me - I'll never take it as offense or something like that.)

orojasp
Chile

Post by orojasp »

I'm native and is not so common to say 'me duele la cintura' but maybe that happens because is more common suffer pain the lower back or the belly or the hips, but not all those places simultaneously.

Maybe a sentence using that could be: 'practiqué tanto hula hula que ahora me duele la cintura'. There it sounds logic to me, but is not a expression o use day to day.

Julian_L.
Argentina

Post by Julian_L. »

Cifi wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 7:16 am

@Julian_L.: the expression dolor de cintura seems to be used along with dolor lumbar, dolor lumbar bajo, lumbalgia, lumbago.

Are all of these interchangeable or are there differences?

They are the same, although I'm not sure how common «lumbago» is.

:argentina:N :it: Image

Cifi

Post by Cifi »

Then, I'd think (not being native though) lower back pain might be a more appropriate translation to English?

Native: :de: Intermediate: :uk: Lower intermediate: :es: Beginner: :fr: Absolute beginner: 🇬🇷
(If there are errors in what I'm writing in either language, please do correct me - I'll never take it as offense or something like that.)

Return to “Language”