Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

The north или north

Sekisova_tatiana
Russia

The north или north

Post by Sekisova_tatiana »

Коллеги, немного запуталась с артиклями и направлением. Я правильно понимаю, что если глагол tobe, то нужны артикль и предлог.
The house is in the north. А если любой другой глагол (просто глагол или движения?), то не нужен никакой артикль. Turn north. The wolf runs north. The wolf lives in the north (все-таки движения, потому что если волк просто живет, то нужен артикль и предлог). Либо это указание направления, тогда точно глаголы движения.

Этот же вопрос и к справа-слева. The hotel is to the right of us (здесь если вы идете и вам кто-то говорит, то TO а если стоите, то ON. Верно же?) Хотя я вижу и с глаголами движения артикль и предлог, например, He runs to the left of the house.

Еще вопрос со звездочкой. Есть ли различия между to my right, right of mine, on the right side of - или это все синонимы, используем как хотим?

I'm trying to learn English

duome

Re: The north или north

Post by duome »

You can also add "it's north of here" - https://forum.wordreference.com/threads ... e.1546791/ - to make it even more complicated:)

Sekisova_tatiana
Russia

Thanks a lot.

PS. but there is little information in this discussion. Unfortunately

chemiazrit

Post by chemiazrit »

It's mostly a question of grammatical function. North can be a noun, an adjective or an adverb. When it's a noun denoting location (answering the question Где?) it usually requires the definite article. When it's an adverb denoting direction (Куда?) you can't use the since articles only go with nouns.

Sekisova_tatiana
Russia

Thank you

orojasp
Chile

Post by orojasp »

Hi,

I just read this subforum to try to improve my learning of russian language, I hope my comment don't struggle the things.

As chemiazrit says, the use of 'the' indicates that 'north' is a noun, if I say:

Ded Moraz lives in the north <-- there north is a noun, the place where he lives

But if I say:

The car follows north direction <-- there north is an adjective, that describes how the noun direction is

Articles are used to define the degree of knowledge of the noun they modify, as example if I say:

The cat drinks the milk <- there I know what's the cat that drinks the milk

A cat ate my bread <- there I don't know which one is the cat that ate my bread

Please sorry for my mistakes in english too.

*on editing I changed eated by ate

Sekisova_tatiana
Russia

Thank you for your reply. I think I'm starting to understand.

PS. Ded MorО́z

Return to “Английский”