Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

This bathroom is out of service. (it → en)

sentence bot 🤖

This bathroom is out of service. (it → en)

Post by sentence bot 🤖 »

This bathroom is out of service.

it: Questo bagno è fuori servizio.

Duolingo forum topic: https://forum.duolingo.com/comment/3896396

Sofia222677

Re: This bathroom is out of service. (it → en)

Post by Sofia222677 »

I wonder if "out of order" is more common.

Ho l'impressione che sia più comune "out of order".

:it: N - :gb: B2 (working towards C1) - Learning :de: - Dabbling in :cn:, :ru:

O.Zoe
Greece

Post by O.Zoe »

Cambridge dictionary wrote:

out of order
not operating because it is broken:

I’m afraid we have to walk up the stairs – the elevator is out of order.

Collins dictionary wrote:

in service / out of service
If a piece of equipment or type of vehicle is in service, it is being used or is able to be used. If it is out of service, it is not being used, usually because it is not working properly.

Some two hundred obsolete warships have been taken out of service during the past five years.

It seems they are similar, but not exactly. To me, "out of order" seems to focus on the fact that a device is not functioning (thus, it is probably not used). On the other hand, "out of service" seems to focus on the fact that something is not used (because perhaps it's broken. But there might be another reason.).

🇬🇷 N :gb: C1 :de: B1 :it: A1

David755502
Great Britain

Post by David755502 »

Yes, both expressions can be used to indicate that something is not functioning, that it is broken.

However, “out of service” can also be used when something is not available for use even though it is working.

For example, you might see it on the front of a bus that has finished its journey and is on the way back to the bus station.

🇬🇧N 🇮🇹

Return to “Inglese”