Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Habito, Habitas, and Habitasne. How do I Know which one to use? Topic is solved

Moderator: Explorer

Deleted User 2031

Habito, Habitas, and Habitasne. How do I Know which one to use?

Post by Deleted User 2031 »

Habito goes with I. But do I use me or ego or no word for I? How do I differentiate habitasne and habitas?

gscottoliver
United States of America

Re: Habito, Habitas, and Habitasne. How do I Know which one to use?

Post by gscottoliver »

First, in the Duolingo Latin course you generally don’t need to use subject pronouns. This is because the verb conjugations tell you whether the subject is I, we, you (tu), you (vos), or some third person (singular or plural).

Second, the -ne particle on a verb at the beginning of a sentence alerts the listener that you’re asking a yes or no question. Thus, In urbe habitas means “You live in the city,” while Habitasne in urbe? means “Do you live in the city?” Likewise, Ambulasne ad forum? means “Do you walk to the market?”

ScottO
NATIVE: 🇺🇸 Studying: 🇫🇷 🇮🇹 🇪🇸 🇧🇷 Image Image

McGonnagle
Japan

Post by McGonnagle »

John3:16 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 10:10 pm

Habito goes with I. But do I use me or ego or no word for I? How do I differentiate habitasne and habitas?

Latin usually omits pronouns as the subject except for emphasis. ex. ego

about me ("me" cannot be omitted normally.)

1. me, myself; accusative singular of ego
  2. by me, with me, from me; ablative singular of ego

A: Habitasne in Norvegia? (Do you live in Norway?)
B: In Norvegia habito. (I live in Norway.)
A: Ubi in Norvegia habitas? (Where do you live in Norway?)
B: Osloae habito. (I live in Oslo.)
A: Quis apud te habitat? (Who lives "at" (/at the house or residence of) you? In English, Who lives with you?)
B: Frater meus apud me habitat. (My brother lives "at" (/at the house or residence of) me". In English "with me". / me is accusative singular of ego)
A: Visne mecum (me+cum) in Daniam ire? (Do you want to go to Denmark with me? / me is ablative singular of ego)

Any correction would be greatly appreciated!

Inceptor linguae Latinae sum. Latine scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar.
(I'm Latin beginner. I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction.)

Merrick
India

Post by Merrick »

"Habito" is "I live," "habitas" is "you live," and "habitasne" is "do you live?" Magic 8 ball

Return to “Grammatica”