Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

éppen

MagyarJános
Hungary

éppen

Post by MagyarJános »

Mit esznek éppen? -> What are they eating?
vs.
Mit esznek? -> What do they eat? / What are they eating?

or

Éppen esznek.
vs.
Megeszek. .....is this more of a timeframe/instance issue?

:P It's hard to try and go about this without much of an explanation, we don't have Duolingo forums anymore.

jzsuzsi

Re: éppen

Post by jzsuzsi »

This comes up in the English for Hungarian speakers course.

English has present simple and present continuous... two different tenses where one is enough in Hungarian. So how would you explain the difference to Hungarians?
Here, the course creators did a trick, by adding some extra words.

"éppen" is like "now" or "right now"

I am running. - Éppen futok. (I am running right now)

I run. (as a habit? ) Szoktam futni. (I have a habit of running. / I usually run)

or, if you just say "Futok". that can be "I am running" or "I run", depending on the context.

MagyarJános
Hungary

Re: éppen

Post by MagyarJános »

jzsuzsi wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:09 pm

This comes up in the English for Hungarian speakers course.

English has present simple and present continuous... two different tenses where one is enough in Hungarian. So how would you explain the difference to Hungarians?
Here, the course creators did a trick, by adding some extra words.

"éppen" is like "now" or "right now"

I am running. - Éppen futok. (I am running right now)

I run. (as a habit? ) Szoktam futni. (I have a habit of running. / I usually run)

or, if you just say "Futok". that can be "I am running" or "I run", depending on the context.

There is quite a bit of this - I am using the Hungarian to English. It's like almost being in Budapest and trying to figure things out by myself.

Return to “Hungarian”