Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Dialects

potato4steve
United States of America

Dialects

Post by potato4steve »

I find the dialects really confusing. I wish they'd waited until further in the course before introducing them.

Dickie
Wales

Re: Dialects

Post by Dickie »

Chill-wch. Does neb yn berffaith. Dim plentyn yn dysgu ei iaith ei hun trwy boeni amdano fe.

R05i2.71828
Wales

Post by R05i2.71828 »

I don't mind where they're at in the course, but the way they are combined together is a bit odd - I'd prefer seperate lessons for North and South, to make it more clear which was which (or maybe a toggle for you to manually switch between the two for the whole tree, so that you could learn the one most relevant to you - like SSiW)

Native: 🇬🇧 Learning: :wales: 🇩🇪 Future?: 🇫🇷 🇨🇳 🇪🇸 🇷🇺 🇯🇵 🇸🇪 🇫🇮 🇺🇦

AnomalousCowherd
Great Britain

Post by AnomalousCowherd »

I find the dialects helpful and they don't give me a real problem, but I think it would be useful if it were indicated more clearly. So, for example, learning cacen and teisen in the same lesson, but being advised that the former is more common in the South and the latter in the North. I don't know whether this particular dialect pair is explained in the course anywhere, but I only discovered the difference when my Welsh friends told me ("don't say teisen, it's a Gog word!"). Which is great for me, but not everyone has the benefit of Welsh-speaking friends to get advice from.

I have noticed that there seems to be a fair bit of rivalry between speakers of different dialects, but it all seems good-natured. Sometimes when I practising with my South Wales friends, I deliberately mix dialects just to set their teeth on edge. :twisted:

Siobhan688078
Wales

Post by Siobhan688078 »

Although I agree that it could be made a bit more obvious which form is used by simply adding (SW/NW) in brackets, I wouldn't worry too much. It will become fairly obvious before long that rwan and llefrith are used mainly in the North and nawr and llaeth in the South. As the majority of Welsh people live in the South anyway because of more and better job opportunities, you get a pretty good mix in Cardiff, Swansea and Llanelli anyway - if you can find native speakers of Welsh at all, that is...O

Elin_7-1
Wales

Post by Elin_7-1 »

I am learning Cymraeg y Dde in classes, so I default to typing Hwnt (SW) words in Welsh, but I understand the Gog (NW) words. By contrast, I use Mae'n ddrwg gen i for "I'm sorry" since blin (yn flin) used in the Hwnt phrase Mae'n flin 'da fi is used to mean "angry" in Gog!! Mae'n ddrwg gen i is understood in the South.

Return to “Welsh”