Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

A succinct description of CEFR levels

Subforums: Achievements · Random Thoughts · Discussions
I'm learning... select your target language from this list

Moderator: Basler Biker

Jenga218
Australia

A succinct description of CEFR levels

Post by Jenga218 »

A few people have chosen to use their signature to display the languages they speak or they are learning.

Some people may be using the CEFR indicators (A2, B1, etc) next to these flags. While these are (usually) only self-assessments, (people may have gone through the effort/expense of accreditation, but no one is asking for credentials on an internet forum), and the system is not without criticism, it is my view that these still provide a far more accurate indication of proficiency than the obsolete Duolingo 'levels' that used to be displayed next to flags. But, if you don't know what A1 means, this may well be meaningless to you as well.

I have summarized the CEFR levels below; my source is this article by Shannon Kennedy on the website Fluent in Three Months.

The Common European Framework of Reference for Languages, often referred to as CEFR or CEFRL, is an international standard for working out your ability within a language.

The A levels: Basic User

A1 | Beginner
At the A1 CEFR level, a language learner can:

• Understand and use very basic expressions to satisfy concrete needs.

• Introduce themselves and ask others questions about personal details.

• Interact simply as long as the other person speaks slowly and clearly.

A2 | Elementary
At the A2 CEFR level, a language learner can:

• Understand frequently used expressions in most intermediate areas such as shopping, family, employment, etc.

• Complete tasks that are routine and involve a direct exchange of information.

• Describe matters of immediate need in simple terms.

The “B” Levels: Independent User

B1 | Intermediate
At the B1 CEFR level, a language learner can:

• Understand points regarding family, work, school or leisure-related topics.

• Deal with most travel situations in areas where the language is spoken.

• Create simple texts on topics of personal interest.

• Describe experiences, events, dreams, and ambitions, as well as opinions or plans in brief.

B2 | Upper Intermediate
At the B2 CEFR level, a language learner can:

• Understand the main ideas of a complex text such as a technical piece related to their field.

• Spontaneously interact without too much strain for either the learner or the native speaker.

• Produce a detailed text on a wide range of subjects.

The “C” Levels: Proficient User

C1 | Advanced
At the C1 CEFR level, a language learner can:

• Understand a wide range of longer and more demanding texts or conversations.

• Express ideas without too much searching.

• Effectively use the language for social, academic or professional situations.

• Create well-structured and detailed texts on complex topics.

C2 | Proficiency
At the C2 CEFR level, a language learner can:

• Understand almost everything read or heard with ease.

• Summarize information from a variety of sources into a coherent presentation.

• Express themselves using precise meaning in complex scenarios.

Fluency in a language is highly subjective, and largely depends on what your goals are. If you are hoping, for example, to attend university in a certain language, or work professionally in a country where your target language is spoken, then working hard to achieve a C level will be important.

But maybe your goals aren't quite as formalised? You'd like to enjoy the literature, or pass the 'pub test' (can you spend a few hours at the pub communicating with others exclusively in your target language, and enjoy yourself doing so)? In other words, your primary aim is to use the language for fun, candid, informal - but meaningful communication with native speakers. Maybe you're just interested in understanding movies, films, or (in my husband's case) manga of your target language? Maybe you're planning on spending a few weeks visiting a country, and are hoping to interact with locals on your trip? Maybe you're just learning the language 'for fun' and have many more languages on your wishlist to tackle when you're 'done' with your current one. If you're in any of these categories, the B levels may well be all you need.

Regardless of your goals, I leave you with this quote:

We should learn languages because language is the only thing worth knowing even poorly. If someone knows how to play the violin only a little, he will find that the painful minutes he causes are not in proportion to the possible joy he gains from his playing. The amateur chemist spares himself ridicule only as long as he doesn’t aspire for professional laurels. The man somewhat skilled in medicine will not go far, and if he tries to trade on his knowledge without certification, he will be locked up as a quack doctor.

Solely in the world of languages is the amateur of value. Well-intentioned sentences full of mistakes can still build bridges between people. Asking in broken Italian which train we are supposed to board at the Venice railway station is far from useless. Indeed, it is better to do that than to remain uncertain and silent and end up back in Budapest rather than in Milan.

• Kató Lomb

🇨🇦 🇦🇺 Native
:fr: - Upper Intermediate | 🇮🇱 Beginner | 🇪🇸 Beginner (inactive)

HeyMarlana
Canada

Re: A succinct description of CEFR levels

Post by HeyMarlana »

I have done a few online assessments and I keep getting A2. However when I open my mouth to speak, I'm an F. You're right about the best assessments being the ones where you take a test in person. Explaining that one is Level 1 or 2, or Beginner or Intermediate has so much of a grey area. When I just tell someone in conversation what level I speak, I normally say I have basic proficiency. (If I'm actually better than that, great. I'd rather undersell my skill that oversell it and look foolish.)

Remember...do something nice for yourself today.

Jenga218
Australia

Post by Jenga218 »

HeyMarlana wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:45 pm

I have done a few online assessments and I keep getting A2. However when I open my mouth to speak, I'm an F. You're right about the best assessments being the ones where you take a test in person. Explaining that one is Level 1 or 2, or Beginner or Intermediate has so much of a grey area. When I just tell someone in conversation what level I speak, I normally say I have basic proficiency. (If I'm actually better than that, great. I'd rather undersell my skill that oversell it and look foolish.)

I've also seen people discuss their skills as being different depending on the four domains (speaking, listening, reading, writing). Someone's listening might be B2 but reading comprehension is only A2. I've also heard of some people (eg the children of immigrants) who might not be able to read in one of their native languages - Thai was only ever heard/spoken, not read or written (I think that was a story in the Duolingo French podcast?).

And we have often said you might complete the Spanish course in Duolingo (for example) and never have a conversation in Spanish. Can you truly claim the B2 level duolingo promises if that's the case?

As I said, this is a self-assessment and it's far from perfect. But it fits the purpose of an online forum chit-chatting about languages with no real stakes and it still gives far more accurate information than the obsolete Duolingo "levels".

Edited to add:
I think I struggle to accept that my proficiency is as high as it is, especially in French. I have just been assessed by a local French language school (to place me in a conversation group - not an exam or anything and I didn't spend a great deal of time preparing, and there's not a lot riding on the result) and while I struggled all through the 10 minute phone conversation, in the end she was like 'Your French is very good, I'll place you in the B2 group' which I kinda figured would be my level, but I almost wished it was lower at the same time. To me this adds pressure to perform/maintain this level. I guess it's imposter syndrome?

🇨🇦 🇦🇺 Native
:fr: - Upper Intermediate | 🇮🇱 Beginner | 🇪🇸 Beginner (inactive)

Polish_bookworm
Poland

Post by Polish_bookworm »

I have exactly this problem (the difference between reading/writing/listening/speaking) when trying to assess my English: in all those 15-minute online tests I get the highest levels (Advanced, C2) but I am not so sure about my speaking level. I read many English books, I watch movies and I practice creative writing in English, so I could say I'm pretty proficient in those areas, but living in Poland, I don't have many opportunities to speak English.
I wrote C2 in my signature, though. I hope I didn't overestimate.

:poland: N :us: C2 (Speaking - C1) :de: B1 (DL) :es: A1 (DL)

Basler Biker
Switzerland

Post by Basler Biker »

This is the official european "full text" with all its nuances and with different points of view on skills, spoken, written, etc etc.
https://www.eui.eu/documents/servicesad ... re/cef.pdf

BB - Basler Biker - Positivity and constructiveness will prevail
Native :belgium: :netherlands: / fluent :fr: :de: :uk: / learning :sweden: / fan of :switzerland: (bs/bl)

Basler Biker
Switzerland

Post by Basler Biker »

While a view on skills via "Basic" / "independent" / "Proficient" is interesting for companies who want to hire people, and expect candidates to be in one of those categories, it's not a description suited for a self-assessment by the candidate.

For a self-assessment, you need to be able to answer the question: "how good am I in..."

• listening (and understanding)
  • reading (and understanding)
  • speaking
  • writing

These are described in detail in English here detailed CEFR levels description
This description in valid for all European languages.

The SWEDISH language forum also offers material to be studied in any of those skills and categories, with exercises.
Here is one exercise on "Reading (and understanding)" an article from the press (medium level) with a question at the end about the content of the article
CEFR B1/B2 Reading and Understanding => Sveriges Radio
Just have a look at it, even if you don't plan to learn Swedish - just to see how it's done

It's just a first attempt to give all SWEDISH learning material the right place, easy to find for a learner
All learning material will be collected in the upper forum named My curriculum to CEFR

Happy learning !

BB - Basler Biker - Positivity and constructiveness will prevail
Native :belgium: :netherlands: / fluent :fr: :de: :uk: / learning :sweden: / fan of :switzerland: (bs/bl)

SweNedGuy
Belgium

Post by SweNedGuy »

On this forum page you find links to some free on-line language tests and vocabulary quizzes.

Detailed tests (taking over an hour) for a few languages provide a precise proficiency test result.
Another site has short tests for more languages, but you only get a rough A/B/C proficiency indication.

None of the tests involve speaking proficiency. You may consider this a drawback, however it also avoids any subjective evaluation on accents.

Speaking :netherlands: :fr: :uk: :es: Learning :de:(B2-) :it:(B1) Image :sweden: :portugal: Image (A)

IceVajal
Germany

Post by IceVajal »

For the ones who prefer watching a video to reading, Olly Richards explained CEFR levels here:

N :de: - B2 :us: - Beginner :ru: (Busuu: B1) - :netherlands:

Return to “I speak English”