Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

¡Andando, que llegamos tarde!

Moderators: Stasia, xillegas

Cifi

¡Andando, que llegamos tarde!

Post by Cifi »

This is not from Duolingo, but from Kwiziq. It's language related anyway, so I hope it's welcome.

There are some more examples in the lesson:

https://spanish.kwiziq.com/my-languages ... /view/8246

The thing with these kind of sentences is: I would want to insert a negation, which is probably because I'm subconsciously parsing it to andando, [para] que no lleguemos tarde.

Any tricks, anything I could replace para with that would make it more logical without a negation?

Last edited by Cifi on Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Native: :de: Intermediate: :uk: Lower intermediate: :es: Beginner: :fr: Absolute beginner: 🇬🇷
(If there are errors in what I'm writing in either language, please do correct me - I'll never take it as offense or something like that.)

Cifi

Re: ¡Andando, que lleguemos tarde!

Post by Cifi »

Maybe it would work out with "andando, [temo] que lleguemos tarde"?

Native: :de: Intermediate: :uk: Lower intermediate: :es: Beginner: :fr: Absolute beginner: 🇬🇷
(If there are errors in what I'm writing in either language, please do correct me - I'll never take it as offense or something like that.)

Julian_L.
Argentina

Re: ¡Andando, que lleguemos tarde!

Post by Julian_L. »

The sentence on that page says «que llegamos tarde» (indicative present) instead of «lleguemos». What's exactly your question?

:argentina:N :it: Image

Cifi

Re: ¡Andando, que llegamos tarde!

Post by Cifi »

Thanks, Julián, I corrected it.

My question is along the lines of what to think of in order to understand why the subordinate clause isn't negated?

I think the literal translation would be something like:

Going (let's go) that we arrive late!

and I can't really make sense of it. To me this sounds more as if arriving late was the purpose, rather than the thing you should try to avoid. I hope I managed to explain it better this time.

Julian_L.
Argentina

Post by Julian_L. »

The main clause («Andando» = "Let's go") is giving a command, and the subordinate clause («llegamos tarde» = "we are arriving late") is justifying why the thing mentioned in the main clause should be done, and that justification is introduced by the conjunction «que».
So basically the sentence means "Let's go, because we are arriving late", although in a real conversation in English, just like how the sentence in Spanish is using «que» instead of «porque», people in English would probably not use anything in the place of "because", leaving only a comma ("Let's go, we are arriving late").

:argentina:N :it: Image

Cifi

Post by Cifi »

Actually it was another usage of que that was confusing me, one which [mention]Fer²[/mention] explained to me some time ago, something like abre las ventanas que entre aire to express a purpose of a command. But revising these (there are more of this type in another Kwiziq lesson) now, I see that the mode seems to make the difference: when it's about purpose, the subordinate clause would use subjunctive.

So, "andando que no lleguemos tarde" might be an alternative way to express about the same as "andando, que llegamos tarde"?

Ro8
Argentina

Post by Ro8 »

Cifi wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:37 am

Actually it was another usage of que that was confusing me, one which @Fer² explained to me some time ago, something like abre las ventanas que entre aire to express a purpose of a command. But revising these (there are more of this type in another Kwiziq lesson) now, I see that the mode seems to make the difference: when it's about purpose, the subordinate clause would use subjunctive.

So, "andando que no lleguemos tarde" might be an alternative way to express about the same as "andando, que llegamos tarde"?

Not exactly. "Abre las ventanas, que entre aire", express kindly: I need air to come in, so (as I can't open the windows by myself for some reason) I want you to open the windows.
"Andando, que llegamos tarde" express: I give you the order to move on because we need to arrive as soon as possible, and I soften it with an explanation.
"Andando, que no lleguemos tarde" express an order even more softened by the explanation, and reflects fear. I am afraid to be late (for the consequences that may come from that fact) so I suggest that we move on immediately.

Fer²
Spain

Post by Fer² »

Ro8 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:04 pm

Not exactly. "Abre las ventanas, que entre aire", express kindly: I need air to come in, so (as I can't open the windows by myself for some reason) I want you to open the windows.

Yes, I think my sentence was "Cierra la ventana, que entra aire". It seems that Cifi was correctly remembering the explanation I gave her about that que rather than the precise wording.

:es: | :gb: :fr: :it: Image | :sweden: :de: :ru: | ···

Cifi

Post by Cifi »

Thank you all. It is still confusing to me, but I very much appreciate your efforts to help me with this.

Return to “Language”