Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

How stories help you learn languages

Subforums: Achievements · Random Thoughts · Discussions
I'm learning... select your target language from this list

Moderator: Basler Biker

Corinnebelle

How stories help you learn languages

Post by Corinnebelle »

Stories are a kind of immersion with an extra interest factor in the plot. They take you places and help you hear things in the native language of the vernacular of the people. They give you the ability to experience the language spoken in a lot of different voices. They capture the imagination and enthrall the listener with curiosity and wonder, leaving traces of the words on the mind and making the language come to the real world.

Stories are the rubber that meets the road of all the exercises one does in pumping the tire and acquainting yourself with the mechanism of the car through learning the words on Duolingo. Stories take the car places and show you, you can actually understand or not a conversation in another language. They open the horizon to the wider worlds.

Stories are the connectors that put all those word together and increase comprehension and retention. And that my friend is why we need stories in all the languages. To take our learning a step up and learn more than phrases and sentences.

And just for fun!

http://www.lacurevillas.com/2013/08/01/ ... r-stories/

Repost from June 20, 2019 begging for stories! I have some Duolingo stories now created by volunteers in my language. I still think they are succinct points for those who wish for stories.

Last edited by Corinnebelle on Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

dakanga

Re: How stories help you learn languages

Post by dakanga »

Thank you Corinnebelle for sharing this relevant and inspiring insights.

I look forward to also linking from other posts to relevant posts, such as this one of yours.

Resources such as this - they are valued!

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Thank you! I like to write.

I just read through some of the stories in the link, they really illustrate the point of needing to know your target language when going to another country! I'm sure I looked through that link when I posted this, but I don't remember them. They gave me a good laugh!

Wish I remembered this link when we were posting about funny language mistakes in our target language. These stories are clean. A lot of them that I could find at the time weren't!

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Mary_La_MaguitaUwU
Chile

Post by Mary_La_MaguitaUwU »

It's true, stories help you very much especially in the pronunciation and understanding of the language. I think they're a good way to learn :)

MARYImage
Tricks to gain a lot of exp in Duo 👉 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgSzUgWE7fA

SweNedGuy
Belgium

Post by SweNedGuy »

The Duolingo podcasts are very useful as more extended stories in this respect. You can both listen and understand or read the transcript if it seems a bit hard. Intermediate Spanish learners can also listen to the inverse podcast: English from Spanish. The narrator then speaks Spanish. I sometimes listen to the English from Portuguese podcast to train on my understanding of spoken Portuguese.
The narrators usually speak very clearly (no slang).

Speaking :netherlands: :fr: :uk: :es: Learning :de:(B2-) :it:(B1) Image :sweden: :portugal: Image (A)

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Gone with the wind…

Sorry, your search did not return any results.
Please try again.

🦎  Amazonia is now becoming a carbon source.  🦎
Elysium - Master of the rainforest

🇲🇽 :us:  ·  :it: 🇧🇷  ·  :ru: 🇦🇪

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

SweNedGuy wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:57 am

The Duolingo podcasts are very useful as more extended stories in this respect.

Podcasts (in general terms) are great. After trying a few apps, I settled with Podcast Addict.

🦎  Amazonia is now becoming a carbon source.  🦎
Elysium - Master of the rainforest

🇲🇽 :us:  ·  :it: 🇧🇷  ·  :ru: 🇦🇪

Return to “I speak English”