Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

What's the difference between your L1 and your TL

Corinnebelle

What's the difference between your L1 and your TL

Post by Corinnebelle »

What's the difference between English or your native language and the language/s you are learning?

Here's some facts about Hebrew [corrected]
-syllabication where instead of having little words, they all get stuck on the back and front. Your house, beitkhá is one word.
-individual verbs sometimes have their own prepositions that go with them, and yep the prepositions are often just one letter stuck on the front of the next word. When you touch something you touch on or in it. I guess that makes more sense, Hebrew is just more descriptive that way.
-almost everything is gendered. Objects can be him or her instead of it. It has two forms, male zeh and female zot in singular form, these aleh however does both. Even the verbs are gendered and must match the nouns.

Last edited by Corinnebelle on Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Deleted User 114

Re: What's the difference between your L1 and your TL

Post by Deleted User 114 »

• English, my native language, has capital letters, while Arabic, my target language, does not.

• Sentence structure is different. i.e. In English we would say "The green owl". While in Arabic, you would say "The owl green". In Arabic, the adjective goes after, while in English it goes before.

• English has five vowels, Arabic has eight.

• As [mention]Corinnebelle[/mention] said in their post, all most every Hebrew word is gendered. Arabic is like that too, while English is not.

Those are a few differences that I could think of, I'm sure there are many more. :)

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]Jacko079[/mention] Hebrew's the same except we have nine vowel symbols. Some of them have the same sound though.

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

EranBarLev
Israel

Post by EranBarLev »

Corinnebelle wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:09 am

-syllabication where instead of having little words, they all get stuck on the back and front. Your house, beitaH is one word.

That's the formal or the Biblical way to say it. "beitaH" ביתה is actually "her house", while "your house" can be either "beitkhá", "beitékh", "beitkhém" or "beitkhén", according to the gender and number of "you". However in modern Hebrew the common way to say it is using the inflected preposition של = "shel" = "of", in a similar way to the possessive adjectives in English, only they come after the noun like Hebrew adjectives: הבית שלך/שלכם/שלכן = "habáit shelkhá/shelákh/shelakhém/shelakhén". I find this easier than in English, because all possessives have the same stem "shel", and only the suffixes change according to the person, while the English possessives don't have any common stem, they are completely different words.

🇮🇱N 🇬🇧C1 🇪🇸B2 🇵🇹B1 🇫🇷B1 🇸🇦A1 🇷🇺A1

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

Learning Japanese from English:

• Writing system: the Latin alphabet has about 26 letters. In Japanese you have to learn, at least, 2136 different characters.

• Particles: they modify each part of the sentence, indicating the word role or the intention of the speaker. Example: 私からまで自転車乗ります (literally: I-topic house-from railway station-destination bycicle-by ride).

• Keigo: a very complex honorifics system to show or emphasize social relationships and rank. Keigo is extremely important in Japanese society. Not speaking politely enough can be insulting, and speaking too politely can be distancing (and therefore also insulting). There are, for instance, different words to say wife. You can say to speak about your own wife, but NEVER to speak about someone else's wife. If you don't want to start a fight you'd better use 奥さん . Both words mean the same, but they are in different levels of Keigo.

🇬🇧 🇪🇸 🇵🇹 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 | Learning: 🇯🇵 🇮🇹 |

DJCat
Canada

Post by DJCat »

Swahili compared to English

• uses noun classes

• does not use articles

• uses prefixes to bring verbs, adjectives, and demonstrative and possessive forms into agreement with the subject of a sentence

• it is completely phonetic

• it has one word for he and she

• verb structure is STROVE (Subject Prefix, Subject Prefix, Relative Object Infix, Subject Prefix, Subject Prefix, Verb End)

• does not use the letters "x" and "q", the letter "c" is always with an "h" so the third letter of the alphabet is "ch"

🇨🇦 🇬🇧 (N) 🇹🇿 (Learning)

(Joanne325766 / JoanneS57 on Duolingo)

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

EranBarLev wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:57 am

That's the formal or the Biblical way to say it. "beitaH" ביתה is actually "her house", while "your house" can be either "beitkhá", "beitékh", "beitkhém" or "beitkhén", according to the gender and number of "you". However in modern Hebrew the common way to say it is using the inflected preposition של = "shel" = "of", in a similar way to the possessive adjectives in English, only they come after the noun like Hebrew adjectives: הבית שלך/שלכם/שלכן = "habáit shelkhá/shelákh/shelakhém/shelakhén". I find this easier than in English, because all possessives have the same stem "shel", and only the suffixes change according to the person, while the English possessives don't have any common stem, they are completely different words.

Even שלך, שלכם, שלכן have a suffix system. I wonder if של "of" comes from ש as in "that" like used as a preposition in for example שזה או שאני and ל from על and means roughly "that to". Kind of pointing out something that to you belongs, that to me belongs, etc...

EranBarLev
Israel

Post by EranBarLev »

Corinnebelle wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:47 am

I wonder if של "of" comes from ש as in "that" like used as a preposition in for example שזה או שאני and ל from על and means roughly "that to". Kind of pointing out something that to you belongs, that to me belongs, etc...

Yes! Except that על means "on", not "to". ל might be a contraction of אל, which also means "to", but they are not always interchangeable. In Biblical Hebrew the way to express possession was "אשר ל...". Then in a later period it contracted to של.

bar999
Poland

Post by bar999 »

Things in Polish that differ in English:

• no articles
  • case system
  • every word has a gender (m/f/n)
  • there are letters that sound the same but are written different, for example:
    u = ó
    ż = rz
  • you don't always have to include subject (the verb has already been conjugated)
  • you don't start with a capital letter when writing names of languages, days of the week, months
  • commas are used very often, in words such as but, because, although, however
  • in English there are 12 tenses, in Polish only 3
  • talking with an elder or a stranger and calling them "you" sounds inappropriate, you should use the third form (he/she/it) and say sir/madam instead

Native 🇵🇱 | B2 🇬🇧 | A2+ 🇪🇸 | A1 🇳🇱 🇩🇪

Nada
Egypt

Post by Nada »

I am learning English, and I find that the strangest thing is that there is no discrimination in the form of speech when talking about a female or a male, for example, in my Arabic I can not speak with guys and girls using the same expressive word for example in English the word (you) is said to a boy or a girl Either in Arabic that this is not possible. (You) translates into Arabic two words, one referring to the male and the other to the female... Well, I hope I explained correctly.

ابتسم دااااائما :D
Always smile ;) :D
🥀🥀

EranBarLev
Israel

Post by EranBarLev »

Nada wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:30 am

I am learning English, and I find that the strangest thing is that there is no discrimination in the form of speech when talking about a female or a male, for example, in my Arabic I can not speak with guys and girls using the same expressive word for example in English the word (you) is said to a boy or a girl Either in Arabic that this is not possible. (You) translates into Arabic two words, one referring to the male and the other to the female... Well, I hope I explained correctly.

I think there are actually 4 words, because the English "you" can also be plural... It's the same in Hebrew too.

Nada
Egypt

Post by Nada »

EranBarLev wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:44 am
Nada wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:30 am

I think there are actually 4 words, because the English "you" can also be plural... It's the same in Hebrew too.

Yes thats right
Actually there are several words
Frankly, I translate a lot on Google ... I translate from Arabic to English, and I notice that any word I write denotes a female, and it turns into a word denoting a male like Said, not saying happy. For a boy and a girl.. Each has its own way of pronouncing the word.
I feel this is a very confusing topic

ابتسم دااااائما :D
Always smile ;) :D
🥀🥀

Return to “Discussions”