Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Juan, ¿estás ocupado?

Moderators: xillegas, Stasia

GaryDRobson
United States of America

Juan, ¿estás ocupado?

Post by GaryDRobson »

This is the translation from one of the exercises. Would a sentence actually be punctuated as "Juan, ¿estás ocupado?" instead of "¿Juan, estás ocupado?"

-=- Gary -=-

b05aplmun.ca
United States of America

Re: Juan, ¿estás ocupado?

Post by b05aplmun.ca »

Yes, all the time.

One of the advantages of the up-side-down question mark appearing at the beginning of the question is that you can separate out just the part of the sentence that is actually a question.

GaryDRobson
United States of America

Post by GaryDRobson »

¡Gracias por su ayuda! And when you do embed the upside-down question mark in the middle of the sentence, you don't capitalize the next word, right?

b05aplmun.ca
United States of America

Post by b05aplmun.ca »

GaryDRobson wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:01 am

¡Gracias por su ayuda! And when you do embed the upside-down question mark in the middle of the sentence, you don't capitalize the next word, right?

No, you don't.

Fer²
Spain

Post by Fer² »

For completeness' sake, I would add that, while you can move the opening question mark to the middle of the sentence, the closing one always stays at the end. So placing the vocative at the end yields «¿Estás ocupado, Juan?». This is perhaps self-evident if you think about intonation in questions, but I thought I'd add it in case someone was having strange ideas...

:es: | :gb: :fr: :it: Image | :sweden: :de: :ru: | ···

Return to “Language”