Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Kvar

Will709432

Kvar

Post by Will709432 »

Is it better to say han stannar kvar hemma rather than han stannar hemma?

I see kvar a lot, but seems it could be left out quite often. Is there any time when it is strictly necessary, set phrases maybe?

There's a sentence on duo, "kan vi inte stanna hemma i stället" to which I added kvar (after seeing it a lot in stuff I read) but this was marked wrong.

Basler Biker
Switzerland

Re: Kvar

Post by Basler Biker »

For the real answer on "kvar" we'll have to wait for a native to explain the nuances.

But let me give it a try... first let's get some trustworthy examples from svenska.se
https://svenska.se/tre/?sok=kvar&pz=2#!

EXEMPEL: use of kvar as "left behind"/"stayed"

• hon stannade kvar efter mid­dagen; she stayed till after noon/lunch
  • han lämnade kvar några böcker; he forgot some books
  • hon glömde kvar sin kofta; she forgot her vest/coat.
  • han stod kvar i samma ställning i flera minuter; he stood in the same position (he didn't move) for several minutes
    The above examples don't apply to your case.

ABSTRAKT EXEMPEL: en avfolkningsbygd där det är svårt att hålla ungdomen kvar; hon vill till varje pris sitta kvar som ord­förande

• sitta kvar : (wanted to) stay leader/president/spokesman

So "kvar" together with the preceding verb, expresses the continuity of some situation.

So now back to your sentence
"stannar kvar" expresses the continuity of being at home... not leaving (after all) for a holiday which they had in mind,
but wouldn't take place (maybe) because of the too many covid-related complications...

BB - Basler Biker - Positivity and constructiveness will prevail
Native :belgium: :netherlands: / fluent :fr: :de: :uk: / learning :sweden: / fan of :switzerland: (bs/bl)

ShinyZoroark

Re: Kvar

Post by ShinyZoroark »

Will709432 wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 5:40 am

Is it better to say han stannar kvar hemma rather than han stannar hemma?

It is perfectly fine to omit "kvar" här. The information is already given by the word "stannar".

Basler Biker wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:43 am
  • hon glömde kvar sin kofta; she forgot her vest/coat.

I seldom hear "glömde kvar". I would rather say "glömde" or "lämnade kvar".

//ShinyZoroark

Native: 🇸🇪🇷🇺 Fluent: 🇬🇧 Intermediate: 🇩🇪🇫🇷🇭🇺 Learning: 🇷🇸🇱🇹Image🇫🇮🇦🇱🇭🇷🇧🇬🇨🇿🇱🇻🇮🇸🇹🇷🇧🇦🇯🇵🇷🇴🇸🇮🇨🇳🇪🇪🇲🇪🇵🇱🇬🇷Image

Return to “Frågor och svar”