Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

[ARCHIVE] Conversational lessons: Yes, No, Maybe?

Fnirk1
Sweden

[ARCHIVE] Conversational lessons: Yes, No, Maybe?

Post by Fnirk1 »

Originally posted by: machieng https://forum.duolingo.com/comment/34337567

This was requested by one of you, so here it is! This is just a simplistic rundown of some basic responses to yes or no questions, as well as how they're phrased:

QuestionSwaliAnswerJibu
Would you like (some) water?(Je), ungependa maji?Yes, thank youNdiyo/Naam, shukran
Will you visit me tomorrow?Utanitembelea kesho?No, sorryHapana/La**, samahani
She is married, isn't she?Ameolewa, siyo?YesNaam/Ndiyo
Who broke the cup?Nani alivunja kikombe?Not I!Siyo mimi!***
Do you want to go?(Je,) unataka kuenda?Not at all!La hasha!
Please repeat what you saidTafadhali rudia ulichosemaNever mind/Don't worry about itHaidhuru/Usijali
Will Ann travel?(Je,) Ann atasafiri?Maybe, I'm not surePengine/Labda, sina uhakika

To note:

*the use of 'je' is optional, and is mostly, in my opinion, more useful for sentences that can be interpreted as statements rather than questions e.g. 'amepona' vs 'amepona?' can be 'je, amepona?'

**'naam' and 'la' are more formal ways to say 'yes' and 'no' and are considered more respectful ways of responding to someone older/of higher status than yourself

***'siyo mimi' can also simply be 'si mimi'. Means the same

:sweden: N :gb: C1 :ru: B2 :fr: :es:B1 :de: :it: :netherlands: A1

Return to “Swahili”