Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

[GUIDE] How to use the Duome Auto-Markup tool.

These Duome Forum guides have step-by-step instructions and screenshots on how to achieve the desired results. So read the relevant ones before you ask again.

Basler Biker
Switzerland

[GUIDE] How to use the Duome Auto-Markup tool.

Post by Basler Biker »

Some users may ask for a given text to be read and corrected by native and fluent speakers; or in fact anyone else who want to suggest corrections, style improvements, alternative ways of saying things, include expressions, etc.

So here comes the powerful and time-saving Duome Auto-Markup tool in action. Just rewrite the text as you think it should be, and submit. don't worry about marking the changes, because the

Duome Auto-Markup tool will automatically highlight your deletions, additions, and extra annotations/remarks/explanations.

Example: this text has some errors !!

Some forums have an Auto-Markup tool for translations.

When you want to correct this in a reply to the author, make the following reply, using the DIFF tags.

[diff=Rectification] <--- this is the text that you can set as the third option in the display (see below)
Some forums have an Auto-Markup tool for error corrections <---copy paste the original text here
+++ <---this is the separator between original text and corrected text
{No, that is not entirely true. I would suggest rephrasing that as follows:} <---this is extra annotation between accolades
Duome.eu is the only forum to have an Auto-Markup tool for corrections and style improvements. <---this is the correction
[/diff]

When submitted, this will appear as:

Rectification: Some forums have an Auto-Markup tool for error corrections
+++
{No, that is not entirely true. I would suggest rephrasing that as follows:}
Duome.eu is the only forum to have an Auto-Markup tool for corrections and style improvements.

See how deletions are marked red-strikethrough, additions are shown as green, and annotations kept between accolades are shown as blue-italic. Accolades, or curly braces, when not on your keyboard, can be typed as ALT+123 and ALT+125.

Note the option box in the top-right corner to display either the text "Before" correction, or the text "after" correction, or the suggested changes with the highlights. The third option is one that you can personalize, including your alias, e.g. "Corrections by MyAlias", "style suggastions by Otheralias", whatever fits best with the corrections that you provided.

Here are some more examples:

You can have multiple [diff] ... +++ ... [/diff] sections, and so you can comment your corrections per section
such as in this example - if you post something like this...

[quote]
Overall the text is too long and complicated for readers of level A1
So I would suggest to make shorter sentences.
[diff=rewrite]
This text is way too long and it is too complicated for readers of level A1
+++
This text is short. A1 readers can now understand.
[/diff]
And in this paragraph I found some typos
[diff=typo's corrected]
We had enouph exercises to study german.
+++
We had enough exercices to study German.
[/diff]
Hope it helps.
[/quote]

This will produce the following reply:

Overall the text is too long and complicated for readers of level A1
So I would suggest to make shorter sentences.

rewrite: This text is way too long and it is too complicated for readers of level A1
+++
This text is short. A1 readers can now understand.

And in this paragraph I found some typos

typo's corrected: We had enouph exercises to study german.
+++
We had enough exercices to study German.

Hope it helps.

Known issues:

• don't apply any formatting or markup into your corrected text, as it's may be incompatible and will be removed by the Auto-Markup tool.
  • Avoid blank lines - under certain conditions they may cause an incorrect display.

BB - Basler Biker - Positivity and constructiveness will prevail
Native :belgium: :netherlands: / fluent :fr: :de: :uk: / learning :sweden: / fan of :switzerland: (bs/bl)

Return to “Duome's How-to Guides”