Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

[ARCHIVE] Object infixes

Fnirk1
Sweden

[ARCHIVE] Object infixes

Post by Fnirk1 »

originally posted by: machieng https://forum.duolingo.com/comment/33762759

This is an overview of object infixes in the different noun classes. Please leave your questions below!

For these examples, the objects themselves are not absolutely necessary to include, unless for the purposes of providing more context. Other than the M/Wa example, the other sentences are complete without the object nouns, and the pronoun 'it'/'them' can be used to replace them. In the case of the Swahili translation, however, the object is useful (and necessary) to be able to identify which object infix to use, as this is determined by the noun class of the object noun:

Noun ClassSingularPluralTranslation (Singular)
M/WaMama ananipendaMama anatupendaMother/Mum loves me
M/WaJuma anamwangaliaJuma anawaangaliaJuma is looking at him/her (person or animal)
M/MiJuma aliupanda (mti)Juma aliipanda (miti)Juma climbed/planted the tree
JI/MaNitalipika (yai)Nitayapika (mayai)I will cook the egg
Ki/ViMaria alikitengeneza (kiti)Maria alivitengeneza (viti)Maria made/fixed the chair
U/NUtauziba (ufa huo)Uziziba (nyufa hizo)You will fill up/plug that crack!
N/NHii ni nyumba yangu. Ninataka kuiuzaHizi ni nyumba zangu. Ninataka kuziuzaThis is my house. I want to sell it
U/MaDaktari ameutibu (ugonjwa)Daktari ameyatibu (magonjwa)The doctor has cured the disease

From the sentences above, object infixes are typically only included to demonstrate specificity of the object being referenced, when used in combination with the object noun. The object nouns in parentheses are not absolutely necessary, if the listener already knows the object in question, such as in the N/N example.

If it's a general reference, the infix is not necessary. e.g. 'I want a banana' vs 'I want the banana' would be 'Ninataka ndizi' vs 'Ninaitaka ndizi', or simply 'Ninaitaka' (I want it)

:sweden: N :gb: C1 :ru: B2 :fr: :es:B1 :de: :it: :netherlands: A1

Return to “Swahili”