Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

The root of Yonah יונה

Moderator: Corinnebelle

Corinnebelle

The root of Yonah יונה

Post by Corinnebelle »

In the Strong's concordance יונה probably comes from the same root as יין effervescing and means ardent love. But in Gesenius יוֹנָתִי is a term of gentle endearment. Any insight into what a dove means?

An interesting thing to note is the plural of יונה is יונים in spite of it being feminine.

In English we associate doves with love and peace, but what does a dove represent in Hebrew?

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

EranBarLev
Israel

Re: The root of Yonah יונה

Post by EranBarLev »

Corinnebelle wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:38 am

In the Strong's concordance יונה comes from the same root as יין effervescing and means ardent love. But in Gesenius יוֹנָתִי is a term of gentle endearment. Any insight into what a dove means?

I'm not familiar with either Strong or Gesenius, but it does appear several times in the Song of Songs as a way the guy calls his girlfriend, something like "my lovey dovey":

יונתי בחגווי הסלע, בסתר המדרגה, הראיני את מראייך, השמיעיני את קולך, כי קולך ערב ומראך נאווה. (SOS 2, 14)

אני ישנה ולבי ער. קול דודי דופק: פתחי לי אחותי רעייתי יונתי תמתי, שראשי נמלא טל, קווצותיי רסיסי לילה. (SOS 5, 2)

אחת היא יונתי תמתי, אחת היא לאמה, ברה היא ליולדתה. ראוה בנות ויאשרוה, מלכות ופילגשים ויהללוה. (SOS 6, 9)

Corinnebelle wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:38 am

In English we associate doves with love and peace, but what does a dove represent in Hebrew?

In the Bible it's associated with love, as in the quotes above. In modern Hebrew it's a symbol of peace. There are some expressions like יונת שלום = "dove of peace", and יונה עם עלה זית = "a dove with an olive leaf", inspired by the story of Noah's ark.

🇮🇱N 🇬🇧C1 🇪🇸B2 🇵🇹B1 🇫🇷B1 🇸🇦A1 🇷🇺A1

Corinnebelle

Re: The root of Yonah יונה

Post by Corinnebelle »

According to Strong's יון also comes from the same root as יונה and it means effervescing (hot and active). Brown Driver Briggs says wine came from Greece. Doves are figurative of beauty in BDB.

Strong's Dictionary and Concordance, Brown Driver Briggs lexicon and Gesenius lexicon are books English speakers use to study the original meanings of Hebrew word in the Tanakh. You can get things like this where you can have word by word definitions of the Hebrew. However it is not as good as learning Hebrew because Strong's doesn't show the "ands" and the tenses of each word. There are identifiers for each word, but I still think learning Hebrew is helpful to get the full picture.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Return to “Biblical Hebrew”