Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

[ARCHIVE] To Be and To Have

Fnirk1
Sweden

[ARCHIVE] To Be and To Have

Post by Fnirk1 »

Originally posted by: machieng https://forum.duolingo.com/comment/37396011

This is part 2 of the 'KU' notes (here)

-wa (be)

Here are the forms of the verb in different tenses:

• this verb is a state of being, so present continuous tense does not apply
  • in present simple tense, the verb is just ni

e.g. Yeye ni mwalimu - She/He is a teacher

This is typically the translation for am (I am - Mimi ni), is (She is - Yeye ni) and are (They are - Wao ni). Because the verb in this form has no subject prefix, you must include the subject pronoun. This also applies in present habitual tense.

• in the negative, 'ni' becomes 'si'
  • in present habitual tense, the verb is just huwa i.e.

Wao huwa wavivu - They are (usually) lazy.

• in the negative, 'huwa' changes format, where the prefix 'hu-' is replaced by the subject prefix in the negative, and '-wa' becomes '-wi'. Note that because it takes on the subject prefix, unlike in the affirmative form, the subject pronoun is excluded:
Mimi-SisiWewe-NyinyiYeye-Wao
Siwi mvivu - Hatuwi wavivuHuwi mvivu-Hamwi wavivuHawi mvivu-Hawawi wavivu
  • in past tense, the verb is formatted as subject prefix-past tense infix-*kuwa* i.e.

Mama alikuwa sokoni - Mother was at the market

Wao walikuwa wanafunzi wangu - They were my students

• in the negative, they adopt the same subject prefixes as any other verb in the negative e.g.

Wao hawakuwa wanafunzi wangu - They were not my students

• in future tense, the verb is similarly formatted as subject prefix-future tense infix-*kuwa* i.e.

Anna atakuwa mwimbaji - Anna will be a musician

Nitakuwa Mombasa kesho - I will be in Mombasa tomorrow

• again, in the negative, the same prefixes as any other verb in the negative apply

-wa na (have)

• again, present continuous tense does not apply
  • in present simple tense, the verb stem is simply '-na', and the formatting is subject prefix-*na* i.e.

Nina - I have, Una - You have, Wana - they have

• in the negative, the only thing that changes is the subject prefix - it switches to subject prefixes in the negative i.e.

Sina - I don't have, Huna - You don't have, etc

• in present habitual tense, the verb is just huwa na e.g.

Watoto wake huwa na vitabu vingi - Her/His children (usually) have many books

• in past and future tense, it's the exact same format as 'to be', with the addition of na, i.e. subject prefix-tense infix-*kuwa na* e.g.

Tutakuwa na wageni - We will have guests

Tulikuwa na wageni - We had guests

• the negatives in the present habitual, past and future tenses are all the same as '-wa', just add 'na'

the formats above generally apply to different situations e.g. -ngali-, -singali-

:sweden: N :gb: C1 :ru: B2 :fr: :es:B1 :de: :it: :netherlands: A1

Return to “Swahili”