Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

How to use Japanese smart toilets

Moderator: Explorer

Explorer
Portugal

How to use Japanese smart toilets

Post by Explorer »

They are small sanctuaries of peace where people can purify mind and body. Everyone often goes there, but not everyone knows how to get the most out of them. I'm talking about Japanese smart toilets. If you are visiting the country for the first time, you may feel intimidated by these marvels of technology. But don't panic! You are about to discover all their secrets.

Take your notepad. It's time to learn some useful vocabulary.

CommandMeaning
止 (と)Stop
おしりSpray
ビデFeminine Spray
リスムRhythm
流す (ながす)Flush
水温度 (すいおんど)Water temperature
水勢 (すいせい)Water pressure
強 (きょう)Strong
弱 (じゃく)Soft
乾燥 (かんそう)Dryer

🇬🇧 🇪🇸 🇵🇹 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 | Learning: 🇯🇵 |

Explorer
Portugal

Re: How to use Japanese smart toilets

Post by Explorer »

Extra content: a Japanese toilet going crazy due to a bad command. The rebellion of the machines.

kurokumo

Post by kurokumo »

Fun thing, there are buttocks on the button for "spray", and kana おしり says "buttocks" too. ^_^

Madame Sensei
Japan

Post by Madame Sensei »

Ah, I remember how freaked out I was the first time I saw an electrical cord coming out of the bottom of a toilet. I was like, "Isn't there water in this thing?? Isn't this dangerous??"

I hold the toilet up (okay, not literally) as an example of how Japan will often take a concept or technology from elsewhere and improve upon it.

Madame Sensei
Japan

Post by Madame Sensei »

Explorer wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:04 am

Extra content: a Japanese toilet going crazy due to a bad command. The rebellion of the machines.

Is this your picture, Explorer? I would like to show it to my students, and I want to give proper credit.

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

Madame Sensei wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 4:13 pm

Is this your picture, Explorer? I would like to show it to my students, and I want to give proper credit.

Of course you can show it to your students. It's a royalty free picture ;)

Return to “Culture & Society”