Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

How did the comrades survive the move from the forum?:)

Lee Austin
Germany

Re: How did the comrades survive the move from the forum?:)

Post by Lee Austin »

Amlir wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:14 pm
Yoong1eKangTerry wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:06 pm

The Duome fam a sub division from the DL forums fam :D

So it is. Here we took a post and accepted a post. Saluted. Welcome, Soldier 8-) .

:D hello!

Image[/img][/img][/img][/img]

Shypharagy
Poland

Post by Shypharagy »

This is my first time visiting the forums here after they were closed on Duolingo and quite honestly, I'm almost in tears, this feels so much like home and then some, thank you so much for sticking around.

Amlir
Russia

Post by Amlir »

Shypharagy wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:54 pm

This is my first time visiting the forums here after they were closed on Duolingo and quite honestly, I'm almost in tears, this feels so much like home and then some, thank you so much for sticking around.

Well, you are welcome (I pass the handkerchief).
By the way, why did you arrive so late?. I wonder if you knew about the forum before or only found out now.

Shypharagy
Poland

Post by Shypharagy »

Amlir wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:52 am

Well, you are welcome (I pass the handkerchief).
By the way, why did you arrive so late?. I wonder if you knew about the forum before or only found out now.

Thank you oh so kindly (folds the handkerchief into a crane, tries flying it but finds it hard to flap both wings with one hand when the other one is holding the base so glides it back to the table, taps it on the head and lets it go, switches back to looking attentively at the interlocutor).

I knew about the forums for quite some time, but thought that people wouldn't really want to switch, I never logged in here and had no idea how much better this place is than what was hosted by Duolingo. I think I was a bit heartbroken too, when I joined Duo back in the day it was so much more about the community, I honestly have no clue why they drifted away from that but it seemed to me that's something lost forever, and it isn't! I still need to get acquainted here as it's only my second day, but already I can see a lot of familiar faces and as Old Lodge Skins once said, my heart soars like a hawk.

Last edited by Shypharagy on Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amlir
Russia

Post by Amlir »

Shypharagy wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:22 am

I honestly have no clue why they drifted away from that

The usual answer to this question here is "Just because they can" 8-) .

Shypharagy wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:22 am

I still need to get acquainted here as it's only my second day, but already I can see a lot of familiar faces

I'm not one of the old-timers, was on the duolingo only a month before the forum closed. But I also saw a couple of oldies).

Lee Austin
Germany

Post by Lee Austin »

I'm not one of the old-timers, was on the duolingo only a month before the forum closed. But I also saw a couple of oldies).

yeah theres a lot of old people on here

Amlir
Russia

Post by Amlir »

Lee Austin wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:56 pm

And none of them wants to play games, they want to do everything the old-fashioned way...With the advent of the chat, I began to hope that there might be someone there. But for now, there's usually just "Hi, Bye, How are you, fine, and you, fine, and you etc.", and that's it....What to do, what it be 8-)

Lee Austin
Germany

Post by Lee Austin »

Amlir wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:36 pm
Lee Austin wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:56 pm

And none of them wants to play games, they want to do everything the old-fashioned way...With the advent of the chat, I began to hope that there might be someone there. But for now, there's usually just "Hi, Bye, How are you, fine, and you, fine, and you etc.", and that's it....What to do, what it be 8-)

pfftt but they are not all old people though like you and me and im sure many others arent ancient people using the "old-fashioned way". And what games do you have in mind, for videogames and whatever?

Amlir
Russia

Post by Amlir »

Lee Austin wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:59 am

pfftt but they are not all old people though like you and me and im sure many others arent ancient people using the "old-fashioned way". And what games do you have in mind, for videogames and whatever?

The old-fashioned way is generally used by everyone at the moment).
In all this time, I haven't met anyone who wouldn't mind trying it out - viewtopic.php?t=2819
It's strange that you ask, you wrote there yourself).

Amlir
Russia

Post by Amlir »

And let's also not forget about this option 8-) .

Character creation, each player has their own list of characteristics.

A little introduction, rolling the dice and displaying success or failure on the right.

Already in-depth passage).

g-heike
Germany

Post by g-heike »

Many years ago I was on another forum with a completely different topic. There was also a chat and we then arranged in the forum for this chat.

Someone wrote then e.g. who has desire on Sunday at 19 o'clock to chat? Thereupon some came forward. Often we even agreed on a topic.

Then on the Sunday at 7 pm, the people were present in the chat and one talked about the topic.

There are many ways to get something going. What I can say is that you need perseverance and the person who initiates something like this should be reliable in his tasks. It can take weeks or months until such a thing is established. But if you don't let yourself be dissuaded from it, something good can arise.

And another possibility of chatting with probably rather young people is also here: https://discord.com/invite/794mjSKU7p.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Amlir
Russia

Post by Amlir »

g-heike wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:27 am

There are many ways to get something going. What I can say is that you need perseverance and the person who initiates something like this should be reliable in his tasks. It can take weeks or months until such a thing is established. But if you don't let yourself be dissuaded from it, something good can arise.

Let's look at the true state of my idea:

• What do I need? - I need to make a selection.
  • What kind of selection do I need to make? - I need to find at least three people, say studying...well, let's say english.

These people should:

• 1. Be interested in the conversational practice of the language they are learning.
  • 2. Have a basic level of english, so that there is no need to make a sample of the owners of the same native language, so that participants can
    understand each other.
  • 3. Have a common means of communication, let's say the same discord.
  • 4. Want to play something cooperative, like Minecraft or tanks.
  • 5. Clarify their time zones so that it would be possible to collect audio conferences for at least two hours.
  • 6. Be open enough not to hesitate to participate in such an event.
  • 7. Have a Real interest, not an idle interest. And a clear desire to try my idea.

The last two points are the toughest. All other points can match, but shyness is the cornerstone. Even on this forum, people are terribly embarrassed by their slightest ignorance of the language. They constantly ask if their english is good, often warn that they haven't spoken it for a long time or that they are only learning it. And at the same time, I have not met a single case here when someone would complain about it, I have not even seen moments of misunderstanding.
At the moment, from what there is, it is only by pure luck that you can find someone who fits.

g-heike wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:27 am

And another possibility of chatting with probably rather young people is also here: https://discord.com/invite/794mjSKU7p.

Similarly to the above, the theme of the duolingo discord is also drifting. It was just promoted before the forum closed and even that didn't help. People are embarrassed to talk. There, again, you can find someone only by chance.
There was a moment on the now closed forum, when the girl offered discord to practice english, but after an unsuccessful attempt to give her an invitation, she fell silent.
People are shy. Even seriously talking to them about it is already a task. Someone's computer suddenly does not work, someone's components suddenly do not pull even the simplest games, someone suddenly loses the connection and so on. I've been swimming in all this for a long time.

Even this simplest game for the participants is an unbearable task in the current situation.

Character creation, each player has their own list of characteristics.

A little introduction, rolling the dice and displaying success or failure on the right.

Already in-depth passage).

I don't like to write a lot, as well as read, my eyes ache. I explained everything as briefly as possible.

Lee Austin
Germany

Post by Lee Austin »

Amlir wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:39 am
Lee Austin wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:59 am

The old-fashioned way is generally used by everyone at the moment).
In all this time, I haven't met anyone who wouldn't mind trying it out - viewtopic.php?t=2819
It's strange that you ask, you wrote there yourself).

oh darn it i forgot about that, my bad .__.

Return to “Random Thoughts”