Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Do you have a favorite Hebrew prayer?

Moderator: Corinnebelle

Corinnebelle

Do you have a favorite Hebrew prayer?

Post by Corinnebelle »

Do any of you guys who are Jewish have a favourite prayer? I really like Jewish prayers and it has taught me to a lot about communicating with G-d and being thankful for good things!

I don't know too many yet, but I've kind of caught the spirit of praising God when I like something! :)

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

OtAzoy
United States of America

Re: Do you have a favorite Hebrew prayer?

Post by OtAzoy »

I am a student of Yiddish on DL (contributing to the Yiddish Forum here on Duome), but in attending Friday services at my temple, a lot of it is in Hebrew. In going through the sequence of the Friday night service, we come to one section which is "Mi Khamokha". This is the prayer of thanksgiving that Miriam and the women sang when the Israelites successfully crossed the Sea of Reeds and gathered on the other side. The women sang and danced with tambourines to glorify God, and we repeat this at Friday night services. Our cantor has several melodies that he picks from to chant this section, and it is a favorite of mine.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

OtAzoy wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:43 am

I am a student of Yiddish on DL (contributing to the Yiddish Forum here on Duome), but in attending Friday services at my temple, a lot of it is in Hebrew. In going through the sequence of the Friday night service, we come to one section which is "Mi Khamokha". This is the prayer of thanksgiving that Miriam and the women sang when the Israelites successfully crossed the Sea of Reeds and gathered on the other side. The women sang and danced with tambourines to glorify God, and we repeat this at Friday night services. Our cantor has several melodies that he picks from to chant this section, and it is a favorite of mine.

So good to see you here! :)

Would you have the text for that?

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

OtAzoy
United States of America

Post by OtAzoy »

Hi, Corinne. The only way that I can think of to get you the text of "Mi Khamokha" is to give you the URL of our temple prayerbook.

https://www.bcc-la.org/pdf/BCC_siddur_april14_2011.pdf

The prayer is on page 35.

Enjoy,

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

OtAzoy wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:36 am

Hi, Corinne. The only way that I can think of to get you the text of "Mi Khamokha" is to give you the URL of our temple prayerbook.

https://www.bcc-la.org/pdf/BCC_siddur_april14_2011.pdf

The prayer is on page 35.

Enjoy,

Thank you OtAzoy, I've been needing a siddur to download! It is indeed an awe-inspiring and majestic prayer! :D

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Here is one I like

I don't know them all to have a favorite.

OtAzoy
United States of America

Post by OtAzoy »

Avinu Malkenu is a beautiful prayer. Our cantor sings it in our synagogue during the High Holidays using this melody. Wonderful choice!

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

This is my favorite of what I have learnt from Prayerbook Hebrew The Easy Way. I was trying to think of it when I found Avinu Malkenu

Ein Keloheinu

אתה הוא אלהינו,
אתה הוא אדונינו,
אתה הוא מלכנו,
אתה הוא מושיענו

It's actually a hymn, not a prayer.

I like the poetic nature of Hebrew, and of this poem in particular. There is a lot of rhyme in it.

Deleted User 4833

Post by Deleted User 4833 »

Corinnebelle wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:11 am

This is my favorite of what I have learnt from Prayerbook Hebrew The Easy Way. I was trying to think of it when I found Avinu Malkenu

Ein Keloheinu

אתה הוא אלהינו,
אתה הוא אדונינו,
אתה הוא מלכנו,
אתה הוא מושיענו

It's actually a hymn, not a prayer.

I like the poetic nature of Hebrew, and of this poem in particular. There is a lot of rhyme in it.

That's only the last stanza of it. And you may be interested to know that it can be adapted to many different melodies.

As can Adon Olam.

If you are interested in Hebrew prayer, Sefaria.org has prayers from a variety of different traditions: https://www.sefaria.org/texts/Liturgy, as well as a wealth of Hebrew (and Aramaic) Jewish texts.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Deleted User 4833

I love the high holiday melody for Yigdal. Unfortunately we only use it for the high holiday season. It's a beautiful melody.

Here's a verson someone recorded doing harmony with himself: https://youtu.be/Er-VOl3Nsek

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

That's beautiful!

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

I was looking for a prayer to say when I see beauty in the garden. I know it's not the original use of some prayers but I thank him for the fruit of the earth out there.

I found this one, but there seems there is either a mistake in the text or the transliteration.

https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/th ... for-beauty

Baruch atah adonai eloheinu melech ha'olam shekahcha lo baolamo.

Deleted User 4833

I don't see a mistake in either.

You are probably confused by the the use of "Hay" to represent "Adonai" as observant Jews use that as a substitute for spelling out the name of God except for in religious texts such as a siddur or Tanach. By the same token they wrote Elokeinu to avoid using the "Hay" in that word and thus they avoided writing the name of God. Many Jews write G-d for God's name for the same reason and Jewish choirs singing in a concert setting sing "Adomai Elokeinu" to avoid saying the name of God in a non-liturgical setting.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

@JudieLC Yes, the אלקינו got me confused because it was transliterated as eloheinu. Didn't know they did that with eloheinu. I knew about the הי או יי.

Deleted User 4833

Here's a nice prayer that is said by Jews as part of the bedtime prayers. My daughter and son-in-law sing it to their daughters at bedtime, prior to reciting the Sh'ma.

Hebrew text, translation and transliteration: https://www.zemirotdatabase.org/view_song.php?id=18
There are also several more recordings of the song at the bottom of that page.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

@JudieLC I like this one the best.

https://www.zemirotdatabase.org/audio/recording455.mp3

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

An indepth look into the Modeh Ani

מודה אני לפניך מלך חי וקיים שהחזרת בי נשמתי בחמלה. רבה אמונתך

I thank you, living and enduring king, for You have graciously returned my soul within me. Great is your faithfulness.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Is this one following the trope or did he make up the song?

Deleted User 4833

Corinnebelle wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 9:05 pm

Is this one following the trope or did he make up the song?

Neither of the above. The song was composed by Ben Zion Shenker in 1953.

It is not a cantillation. Nor is it a Messianic worship video, as described on the webpage of the video you linked here; I suspect the composer would be appalled to hear it described in that way. Anyway, the person who posted the video you linked said clearly on the page under the video that he learned the song from someone, so it's obvious on the page that he didn't compose it.

The song is traditionally sung on Shabbat, at Seudah Shlishit, the third meal of the Sabbath day. The melody is so widely used now that I am sure many or most have no idea of the origin of the melody and think it's much older than it actually is.

Here's a link to a vidoe of Ben Zion Shenker describing how he came up with the melody:

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

@JudieLC Very interesting! The person in the video does seem to want to make money out it. I like the tune, that's why I posted it. I suppose there might be more cantors singing this melody?

Deleted User 4833

Corinnebelle wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:19 am

@JudieLC Very interesting! The person in the video does seem to want to make money out it. I like the tune, that's why I posted it. I suppose there might be more cantors singing this melody?

You mean the person who posted the video you linked wants to make money out of it? Not clear what you meant.

It's a lovely melody, I love to sing it. And I'm sure lots of cantors do sing this melody. And others. I've found lots of alternate melodies to this psalm when I've searched around.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Yes, I think in the rumble video the person does want to make money. I watched some of his other videos. This one has a promotion for his mosaics at the end and some of his others advertise those mosaics. He has a lot of psalms recordings.

More on Psalm 23:
https://www.jtsa.edu/torah/mizmor-ledav ... xt-melody/

Deleted User 4833

Corinnebelle wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:33 am

Yes, I think in the rumble video the person does want to make money. I watched some of his other videos. This one has a promotion for his mosaics at the end and some of his others advertise those mosaics. He has a lot of psalms recordings.

https://www.jtsa.edu/torah/mizmor-ledav ... xt-melody/

Sorry, I don't get the link between the Rumble video you posted upthread and the link in this post. Who do you think is trying to make money from what?

This latter link, in the post of yours that I have quoted, is to a page on the website of the Jewish Theological Seminary. The Jewish Theological Seminary is a well respected institution of Jewish learning. They are known for their Jewish scholarship as well as training rabbis and cantors. And like all higher institutions of learning, they do charge tuition.

So I really don't get what you mean here.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

@JudieLC The link is just a link to more songs and tunes for Psalm 23, nothing to do with the rumble video.

Return to “Culture & Society”