Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

How did the comrades survive the move from the forum?:)

dakanga

Re: How did the comrades survive the move from the forum?:)

Post by dakanga »

You are REMARKABLE Amlir !

Amlir
Russia

Post by Amlir »

duome wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:55 am

Currently the max file size for attachments is 256kb, mp3's are allowed - so go ahead, try it ;)

https://online-voice-recorder.com/

1.mp3
An experiment is being conducted, keep calm. Let's hope nothing will explode).
(176.33 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
dakanga

Post by dakanga »

Amlir, what is your dream for this community ?

And what is also your intention ?

Amlir
Russia

Post by Amlir »

dakanga wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:45 am

Amlir, what is your dream for this community ?

And what is also your intention ?

In general, I have described here what I would like.
viewtopic.php?t=2819
Learning languages is certainly good, but conversational practice is a problem. Sites like duolingo have a lot of things for comfortable, but still lonely language learning. While the topic itself, after all, is about communication.
It seems to me that if the absolute majority of duolingo and duome users ask if their language has been used in practice, they will answer that no.
I think many people would like to fix it. And I just suggested one of the options. For example, I don't study if I'm bored, I'm always looking for ways to diversify or make the task interesting. Now I decided to listen to the audiobooks "The Hobbit" and "The Lord of the Rings" in english. Harry Potter is also waiting for his turn. All these books have a british pronunciation, but this does not disturb).

g-heike
Germany

Post by g-heike »

Amlir wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:08 pm

In general, I have described here what I would like.
viewtopic.php?t=2819
Learning languages is certainly good, but conversational practice is a problem. Sites like duolingo have a lot of things for comfortable, but still lonely language learning. While the topic itself, after all, is about communication.
It seems to me that if the absolute majority of duolingo and duome users ask if their language has been used in practice, they will answer that no.
I think many people would like to fix it. And I just suggested one of the options. For example, I don't study if I'm bored, I'm always looking for ways to diversify or make the task interesting. Now I decided to listen to the audiobooks "The Hobbit" and "The Lord of the Rings" in english. Harry Potter is also waiting for his turn. All these books have a british pronunciation, but this does not disturb).

Amlir, I think to make Duome, or any forum for that matter, interesting, it requires ideas and input from users.

Of course everything is empty at the beginning, it can't be any different when a forum starts new. But it comes to life as soon as someone dares to fill the sub-forums with life, be it by asking questions, be it by reporting his experiences, be it by interesting topics where others can participate.

All this cannot be done by admins or moderators alone, it is our job.

It is true that there should be more ways to use the language you learn. For this post, I'm just using the translator again, because for longer and more complex posts, I still have too little vocabulary ready and would take forever to polish it. But for shorter posts I already leave out the translator.

I am happy when I can read interesting things in my learning language or talk about a book in the learning language. There have been book clubs or "writing games" in Duolingo to be able to express yourself more in your learning language. All this can happen here. You can also talk about your hobbies here. If you can do that, for example, in your learning language Spanish or French or Hebrew, great, that's how you learn.

But that needs us as normal users to bring that in here. You can't expect a new forum to already have everything ready and users just have to come and participate. Something like this develops over time, it just needs people who dare to start.

So what do you think about putting your ideas into action?

Amlir
Russia

Post by Amlir »

g-heike wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:11 pm

Amlir, I think to make Duome, or any forum for that matter, interesting, it requires ideas and input from users.

There are already a whole bunch of ideas here, but there are no people, all this has been discussed in various forms, and I have a topic about a link from duolingo to duome that could help at least with people. It's been quiet for about 10 days now.

But it comes to life as soon as someone dares to fill the sub-forums with life, be it by asking questions, be it by reporting his experiences, be it by interesting topics where others can participate.

It is worth reading the forum. And you don't even have to go far, one of them is on this particular page, right above your message. Here is the link -
viewtopic.php?t=2819
The proposals have already taken place, there are no people. It is enough to read the forum to understand that there have already been a lot of offers.

There have been book clubs or "writing games" in Duolingo to be able to express yourself more in your learning language. All this can happen here. You can also talk about your hobbies here. If you can do that, for example, in your learning language Spanish or French or Hebrew, great, that's how you learn.

About the so-called writing games, namely TTRPG, I have already mentioned myself here -
viewtopic.php?t=2817
And i have this topic for english speakers too.

I translated what I wrote myself in one of my topics -
Here. The most popular example I found.
It turns out something like a puppet theater, avatars are used here.
And the rest is the same as in a typical TTRPG -

Character creation, each player has their own list of characteristics.

A little introduction, rolling the dice and displaying success or failure on the right.

Already in-depth passage).

All this has already been passed, the proposals have already taken place, there are no people.

But that needs us as normal users to bring that in here. You can't expect a new forum to already have everything ready and users just have to come and participate. Something like this develops over time, it just needs people who dare to start.

8-) The fourth time - There are no people here 8-) . What can I think about implementing my ideas?.

Last edited by Amlir on Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
Amlir
Russia

Post by Amlir »

This is already like a political discussion about nothing. A lot of conversations about the same thing in different forms, but there is no sense.

In order for there to be an influx, a connection (link) with duolingo is required. Any other methods require a raw start, whether it's a YouTube channel, a social network group, etc..
At the moment, everyone who arrives in duolingo has nowhere to write. It was the absence of a forum there, that should have made the forum popular here. That's the point. Unless, of course, we want the only options for the participants of something to be the administrators themselves and 2.3 people who come here once a week, and this is at best. In this case, the progress of the current situation under discussion here will have to wait for months.

Someone who has a connection with them or their developers can clarify what they (duolingo) think about this?.

Basler Biker
Switzerland

Post by Basler Biker »

Amlir wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:01 am

This is already like a political discussion about nothing. A lot of conversations about the same thing in different forms, but there is no sense.

In order for there to be an influx, a connection (link) with duolingo is required. Any other methods require a raw start, whether it's a YouTube channel, a social network group, etc..
At the moment, everyone who arrives in duolingo has nowhere to write. It was the absence of a forum there, that should have made the forum popular here. That's the point. Unless, of course, we want the only options for the participants of something to be the administrators themselves and 2.3 people who come here once a week, and this is at best. In this case, the progress of the current situation under discussion here will have to wait for months.

Someone who has a connection with them or their developers can clarify what they (duolingo) think about this?.

The duome team, 20 people, and many volunteers contributors here, have started duome NOT as a replacement for DL meaningless "political" discussions, but for capturing and archiving the useful information that was about to be lost. All these people have spent their valuable personal free time to fill the forum to have valuable contents to be offered to visitors, and so from here discussions about languages may continue, also discussions between people who recognize eachothers aliases from DL. And of course it will concern DL learning material too,

This forum has been restructured 3rd time already since it's opening Feb 9th. And we have seen that it was not ideal in the beginning. You claim about 2 or 3 users per week, and that users don't find their way, and that it's only "moderators" content, is since long not valid anymore.

These are the system statistics at date: Opening date 10 feb 2022. Since then 28 new user registrations per day. So people are finding their way. And the better the "learning" content is, the more will come. Because by far the majority of users also on DL are learning people, and only a small fraction (1:1000 ?) were visible on the forums and speaking out loud. Most were anonymous observers, but learning their language, and learning from language topics being discussed.

People are finding a way to post too. With 57 posts per day., and 194 interactions (replies) to existing posts. And with a peak of 92 users online... Only one thing that people won't find (after our 3rd restructuring) is a dedicated DL forum, because duome is not affiliated with DL. Of course anything, also DL stuff and whatnot, can be discussed in any of the so many "general" discussion forms, available in all the "I speak ..." native languages

And so will it be here too. Content today, and I estimate that it won't change, is material to learn languages, with appropriate and dedicated spaces for discussion. Those discussions are mostly well structured, as we provide separate forums for them, such as Culture, Books, Resources, etc. The aim being that it does not become one big cluttered unstructured database of posts and replies that get lost (as was the case in DL)

So on many domains, not the least that posts will never disappear because of downvoting, we do much better than the former DL forum. DL itself was not able to "recover" from a "lost control" situation, but we have no history to be compliant with, and we have the present to work on something good, and the future to plan for even better things. We have the system in hand, and our Admins can respond in a matter of a few hours to all kinds of requests for interesting features, supporting the learning curriculums of our visitors.

So if you look at it that way, like it says in my signature => "positivity" and "constructiveness" => then we're are doing not bad at all. And it's up to all visitors to make posts that don't turn out in a political "emptyness".

Yet it may turn out that duome is not the ideal place to promote games or TTRPG, or better ways of learning languages, or better ways of communicating, Then that's fine, because the world around us is more than duome alone. And everyone searches the best place to find language learning material, and to pass their times. People don't look for "FPS" cheats in a Larousse Dictionary. Everything has it's place.

A lot of posts here are about learning stuff residing outside duome. And we hope that the "search" facility, making use of "tags" will help people to find what they are looking for. Time will tell. It's soon 2 months after the duome start, and it's not excluded that we still have to adjust our goals or way of working. We are not afraid of doing so, if needed.

BB - Basler Biker - Positivity and constructiveness will prevail
Native :belgium: :netherlands: / fluent :fr: :de: :uk: / learning :sweden: / fan of :switzerland: (bs/bl)

Amlir
Russia

Post by Amlir »

Basler Biker wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:55 am

You claim about 2 or 3 users per week, and that users don't find their way, and that it's only "moderators" content

I said this about the participants who were discussed in the events that could have taken place. They ask me about the implementation of ideas, I answer that there is no sample for their implementation, only administrators and just a couple of users are actively talking about it.The details of the forum statistics have nothing to do with it at all.

These are the system statistics at date: Opening date 10 feb 2022. Since then 28 new user registrations per day. So people are finding their way.

People are finding a way to post too. With 57 posts per day., and 194 interactions (replies) to existing posts. And with a peak of 92 users online...

I see the problem is that there is no source of arrival of people that would multiply by tens the number of folks that there are now. And the fact that the forum focused on structuring materials, and not on the influx of users.
Optimism should not cloud the mind, this forum can get real liveliness. Not to mention that all these study materials will be useful to those who come to duolingo today.
You say that people come, and that statistics show their presence here. And I think it should be several dozen times higher than the current one, and I'm not exaggerating. There is nothing fantastic in this, for this you need people on duolingo to be aware of the existence of the forum. And no, the absolute majority still does not know about this place.

So if you look at it that way, like it says in my signature => "positivity" and "constructiveness" => then we're are doing not bad at all. And it's up to all visitors to make posts that don't turn out in a political "emptyness".

This has become even more like a dry political speech by the way).

Amlir
Russia

Post by Amlir »

The question remains open by the way.

By "this" is meant a link from there to here.

Basler Biker
Switzerland

Post by Basler Biker »

Amlir wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:04 am

The question remains open by the way.

By "this" is meant a link from there to here.

The links to "here" are everywhere. Also on DL forum, they were plenty. Forums are closed. And a group of DL Mod's have anounced their own "duolinguists" initiative which I mention here, so you can see what options and possibilities they are offering "after the closing"

The links to "here" duome.eu are still very visible on all other forums and media, which aren't closed, and which had some duolingo dedicated forum or chat-room.

We have no target no. of registered users, to please stakeholders. And we don't have the aim to have millions of users on board.

With slow growth of number of users, we had the time to reflect and adjust, rather than being overwhelmed by a tsunami.
Slow growing companies, with a clear view on the future, get much further, last much longer.

You call this a political and dry topic, I see it as an opportunity to clarify to you what our approach and choices were so far, and believe me, much more than DL (who were under constant pressure of their stakeholders and completely fading financial results) we are listening to what this community needs and wants. And we react to it as far as technically possible.

And we don't object to any topic as long as inline with the Terms. So at this moment The Team and all anonymous readers/observers here are looking forward for people like you, and other visitors here, to FILL the forum and put something "non-political" to discuss about.

BB - Basler Biker - Positivity and constructiveness will prevail
Native :belgium: :netherlands: / fluent :fr: :de: :uk: / learning :sweden: / fan of :switzerland: (bs/bl)

Amlir
Russia

Post by Amlir »

Basler Biker wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:02 pm

The links to "here" are everywhere. Also on DL forum, they were plenty.

The links to "here" duome.eu are still very visible on all other forums and media, which aren't closed, and which had some duolingo dedicated forum or chat-room.

Links everywhere?... is this a joke?, you are talking about profile places and forums that an ordinary user will most likely never see. And the main contingent is just the most ordinary people who do not dig and do not scour the Internet like moles, but do it unobtrusively.
It is with the influx of a sufficient number of users on individual branches, and not on particular, that it will be possible to arrange interesting activities with individual groups of participants.
It is ridiculous not to focus on opportunities of this kind, insisting on a slow pace. Thus, all ordinary duolingo users will be deprived of the forum. There will be only oldies and rare internet-moles.

Basler Biker wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:02 pm

You call this a political and dry topic

"non-political" to discuss about.

I call verbosity with a minimum of substantive aspects political demagogy. When things that can be described in one word or sentence are described in paragraphs. And also when the same question is asked in different ways, despite the fact that the answer has already been given.

Amlir
Russia

Post by Amlir »

I really hope that someone from those who reads ... all this ....well, at least this line). I hope that one of them can ask the representatives of duolingo if they are going to help with a link.
I don't know them, I can torture their technical support if anything)

Stasia
Poland

Post by Stasia »

Amlir wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:52 pm

I really hope that someone from those who reads ... all this ....well, at least this line). I hope that one of them can ask the representatives of duolingo if they are going to help with a link.

I honestly don't think the people in charge of Duolingo would be interested in promoting the Duome forum.

After all, these are the people who decided to close the Duolingo forum.

Native: :poland:; Fluent: :es:, :us:; Getting there: Image; Intermediate: :fr:; Beginner: :ukraine:

Amlir
Russia

Post by Amlir »

Stasia wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 2:31 am
Amlir wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:52 pm

I honestly don't think the people in charge of Duolingo would be interested in promoting the Duome forum.

After all, these are the people who decided to close the Duolingo forum.

I totally understand what you're talking about. But there is an idea that duolingos do this not so much out of habit, but because no one shakes them on this topic. Perhaps they could contribute, but they may think that "if we are not asked there, then we will not do it".
Here we are talking about getting a link or getting a response that there will be no link. That's all I want.

Stasia
Poland

Post by Stasia »

Amlir wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 2:48 am

I totally understand what you're talking about. But there is an idea that duolingos do this not so much out of habit, but because no one shakes them on this topic. Perhaps they could contribute, but they may think that "if we are not asked there, then we will not do it".
Here we are talking about getting a link or getting a response that there will be no link. That's all I want.

If you think you can influence Duolingo by contacting their Plus support, go for it.

As far as I know, this is the only way any of us can let Duolingo know our hopes and wishes. However, the people who read/respond to the support emails are rather low on the food chain. Do you know a better way of contacting Duolingo developers?

Native: :poland:; Fluent: :es:, :us:; Getting there: Image; Intermediate: :fr:; Beginner: :ukraine:

Amlir
Russia

Post by Amlir »

Stasia wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 3:04 am

Do you know a better way of contacting Duolingo developers?

Personally, I have absolutely no contact with them. I asked here if there is anyone who has these contacts.
A few days before the forum closed, it was repeatedly written that the link would be later. They refused any other compensation, in the form of personal messages, chat windows and other things, but it was said that at least they would give a link to the current forum. Time goes by, there is no connection.
At first I thought that the duolingo company was strange, removing the forum from the language site.....And now I don't even know what to say about them.
Such an attitude can be expected from lawyers, bankers, financial managers, economic analysts, but from this company...
Not that I Knew they were different, but I thought they Should be different.

g-heike
Germany

Post by g-heike »

Amlir wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 2:48 am

When the Duolingo forum was still open and some pointed to this duome forum, some (not all) were even banned in the last days of the forum because of this "advertising", with the reason it was spam.

I myself had made advertising for this forum already at the first announcement of the closure of the Duolingo forum and then in between as well.

Then came the second reminder of the closure and it continued to post only the links in the OP that Duolingo itself runs or to the Discord server that was created by some moderators and to the Famdom page, but not to Duome.

When I asked if it was ok to put the link to duome, Kevin answered me directly that it was ok in the announcement. Kevin is part of the Duolingo staff team, he knows about the link, if he thought it was important he would have made sure the link was distributed through Duolingo, but in the FAQs in the Duolingo help center there is only a link to the Discord server.

That shows me that they have no interest in it.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Amlir
Russia

Post by Amlir »

g-heike wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:53 am

That shows me that they have no interest in it.

Thank you for the information. I am already drawn from indignation to aggression, if I have been rude somewhere, do not take it to heart. Just deleting the forum itself sucks, and now this situation with the link. That is, they do not want a forum on their site, but they don't welcome a forum they won't have to deal with...this is some kind of nonsense....

Well. I need to make a selection from users. There are not enough users for such selections. I'm stumped...

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

IceVajal wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:35 pm

I had no chance to miss PM, coz when I joined there were already gone. :lol:

um there weren't any in the first place...

IceVajal
Germany

Post by IceVajal »

LICA98 wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:39 pm

That's possible, I never saw them, but I just started using DL last December.

N :de: - B2 :us: - Beginner :ru: (Busuu: B1) - :netherlands:

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

IceVajal wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:43 pm
LICA98 wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:39 pm

That's possible, I never saw them, but I just started using DL last December.

I think people are talking about the streams (possiblity to comment on user profile) but there was nothing private about that, anyone could see it

Yoong1eKangTerry
United States of America

Post by Yoong1eKangTerry »

Kinda of a late post but… I survived the forum migration:D

Native:🇺🇸(English)| Novice Mid: 🇪🇸(Spanish)|Beginner:🇰🇷(Korean)

Lee Austin
Germany

Post by Lee Austin »

Yoong1eKangTerry wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:44 pm

congrats and welcome! :)

Image[/img][/img][/img][/img]

Amlir
Russia

Post by Amlir »

This is the most important thing :x . Yes!, the rags were burned :x . Yes!, things were gone :x . But life was saved 8-) . They failed to take it away from you 8-) . These forum killers....Welcome to our family, new brother (I raise my hands to the sun and roll my eyes). We are absolutely normal here.... if you didn't know...

Lee Austin
Germany

Post by Lee Austin »

Amlir wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:56 pm

This is the most important thing :x . Yes!, the rags were burned :x . Yes!, things were gone :x . But life was saved 8-) . They failed to take it away from you 8-) . These forum killers....Welcome to our family, new brother (I raise my hands to the sun and roll my eyes). We are absolutely normal here.... if you didn't know...

Hahah normal

Amlir
Russia

Post by Amlir »

Lee Austin wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:59 pm

Hahah normal

That's right, absolutely healthy people. Only sometimes we confuse where whose hospital room is). And the straitjacket isn't very comfortable, but it's okay.

Yoong1eKangTerry
United States of America

Post by Yoong1eKangTerry »

Amlir wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:56 pm

The Duome fam a sub division from the DL forums fam :D

Native:🇺🇸(English)| Novice Mid: 🇪🇸(Spanish)|Beginner:🇰🇷(Korean)

Lee Austin
Germany

Post by Lee Austin »

Amlir wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:05 pm
Lee Austin wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:59 pm

Hahah normal

That's right, absolutely healthy people. Only sometimes we confuse where whose hospital room is). And the straitjacket isn't very comfortable, but it's okay.

HAHAHAHHAHAHHA

Amlir
Russia

Post by Amlir »

Yoong1eKangTerry wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:06 pm

The Duome fam a sub division from the DL forums fam :D

So it is. Here we took a post and accepted a post. Saluted. Welcome, Soldier 8-) .

Return to “Random Thoughts”