Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

A question on article usage/omission

Moderators: xillegas, Stasia

Cifi

A question on article usage/omission

Post by Cifi »

... and probably not the last one ;)

In a Duolingo sentence similar to "no dijo que había ratones pero sí mencionó las hormigas", I understand that ratones can't have a definite article (because it isn't used with haber), but what about las hormigas? Would it work without: "... pero sí mencionó hormigas"?

I take it for what Butt & Benjamin call a partitive noun, referring to some (unspecific) ants rather be than to all ants in general (as in "odio las hormigas"). Am I wrong here? Or is it specific, like "exactly these ants here"?

Native: :de: Intermediate: :uk: Lower intermediate: :es: Beginner: :fr: Absolute beginner: 🇬🇷
(If there are errors in what I'm writing in either language, please do correct me - I'll never take it as offense or something like that.)

Fer²
Spain

Re: A question on article usage/omission

Post by Fer² »

As I see it, these are specific ants. You've got to the place in question and found both mice and ants. They had mentioned the ants [the ones that are there], but said nothing about there being any mice [at all]. You could also say «... sí que mencionó hormigas», no article, if you've had no confirmation yet about any ants.

:es: | :gb: :fr: :it: Image | :sweden: :de: :ru: | ···

Cifi

Re: A question on article usage/omission

Post by Cifi »

This was my suspicion, too. Then this probably should have been translated to "but she did mention the ants" instead of "she did mention ants", shouldn't it?

Native: :de: Intermediate: :uk: Lower intermediate: :es: Beginner: :fr: Absolute beginner: 🇬🇷
(If there are errors in what I'm writing in either language, please do correct me - I'll never take it as offense or something like that.)

Return to “Language”