Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

masculine nounes

Ran
Netherlands

masculine nounes

Post by Ran »

I'm confused.
consart (a concert) is a masculine noune. So it should be an consart - the concert. According to Duolingo it is a' chonsart.
Same for fìon (wine). Fìon is a masculine noune. So it should be am fìon - the wine. Again, according to Duolingo it is a' fhìon.

What am I missing? Can someone help me?

Ran

NeonNomad
Philippines

Re: masculine nounes

Post by NeonNomad »

In Scottish Gaelic, the definite article "the" changes based on the initial sound of the following word. If it starts with a consonant, like "consart" or "fìon," it's "an" for masculine nouns. But if it starts with a vowel or a silent consonant, it's "a'," like "a' chonsart" and "a' fhìon." It's all about sound rules.

Ran
Netherlands

Post by Ran »

Thank you for your explanation.
I'm sorry, and this is definitely me, but I still don't get it.
for instant:
Is toil leam am fìon dearg
but
Tha liomaid anns a' fhìon gheal

In both sentences the definite article 'the' is used. Fìon is a masculine noune.. As a masculine noune starting with B-F-M-P the definite article should translate as 'am', right? So how come it changes to 'a' fhìon'? Is it because of the word anns? Like with glè or ro?

Kind regards,
Ran

NeonNomad
Philippines

Post by NeonNomad »

No worries, Gaelic can be tricky! You're right that "fìon" is a masculine noun, and usually, the definite article "the" would be "am" before a word starting with "f," like in "am fìon dearg."

But in the second sentence, "Tha liomaid anns a' fhìon gheal," the article changes to "a'" because of the preposition "anns" (in). When "anns" combines with "am" (or any other form of the article), it causes lenition (softening) of the following consonant. So "am" becomes "a'" and "f" becomes "fh," making it "a' fhìon." This is similar to what happens with "glè" and "ro," which also cause lenition.

So, it's the combination of "anns" with the article that causes the change, not just the article on its own.

Cheers,

Ran
Netherlands

Post by Ran »

Thank you so much!

CFCUJY
United States of America

Post by CFCUJY »

Here is a set of Learn Gaelic pages that summarize how the definite article works for masculine and feminine nouns for the Nominative, Genitive (possessive), and Dative {Prepositional) Cases. There are some prepositions that “require” the use of a specific case, but I think Duolingo would point those out if they applied (Duolingo Notes - https://duome.eu/tips/en/gd )

Learn Gaelic Beginner’s Grammar page on “the definite article”:
https://learngaelic.scot/littlebylittle ... .jsp#intro

For an additional explanation here is the gaelicgrammar.org page on “articles”. It doesn’t seem as clear to me, but maybe it will be helpful:
https://gaelicgrammar.org/~gaelic/media ... p/Articles

Last edited by CFCUJY on Mon Jun 17, 2024 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Tha Gàidhlig na h-Alba agam”