Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

What are the rules to skip prepositions?

Moderator: Explorer

jlbernardes11
Brazil

What are the rules to skip prepositions?

Post by jlbernardes11 »

Hey guys, how are you doing? hope it's well.
I'm Portuguese native, and in my language, the correct sentence for:
"Max pitched Alice the baseball"
will be something like:
"Max pitched TO Alice the baseball".

Why we skip this kind of preposition in the English Language and what are the rules for that?
I get very confused about that.

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Re: What are the rules to skip prepositions?

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

@jlbernardes11

Hi,

can you maybe give 1-2 or 3 PT sentence examples how that phrase can look like?

"Max pitched TO Alice the baseball." sounds horrible in English :-)

Working EN alternative:
"Max pitched the baseball to Alice".

Well ok, as a non-native English speaker I'm not 100% sure about that specific verb "to pitch / pitched" and required prepositions or order. Sometimes there are differences.

Auto translated to PT (Google translate):
"Max lançou a bola de beisebol para Alice"

For both the two valid EN sentences (incl my 2nd alternative) this is the end result.

Your specific EN example equals:
"Max lançou para Alice a bola de beisebol."??
This also sounds wrong with my limited PT knowledge.

As far as I know "para Alice" or "a Alice" constructs would need to be placed in Portuguese at the end.
Direct objects / indirect (o/a/lhe placement before the verb) don't fit here, right?

What are the other valid PT examples with alternating grammar reordering you can think of?

:de: Native | :us: Upper-B2 (BritishCouncil) | ImageL25 (Duo) / A2 (6+y, McGraw-Hill) - Learning (Busuu): :fr: (A1 McGraw-Hill) | :brazil: (interm.)

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

A few interesting grammar hints can be found in the archived old Web Tips & Notes.

Algumas dicas interessantes de gramática podem ser encontradas nas antigas dicas e notas da Web arquivadas.

https://duome.eu/tips/pt/en
https://duo-tips.pages.dev/tips/en/pt/
https://duolinguists.wordpress.com/eu-f ... do-ingles/

They are for the old courses (tree design) so don't directly fit the path UI.

Eles são para os cursos antigos (design de árvore), portanto não se ajustam diretamente à interface do caminho.

Last edited by Thomas.Heiss on Wed Jun 12, 2024 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

:de: Native | :us: Upper-B2 (BritishCouncil) | ImageL25 (Duo) / A2 (6+y, McGraw-Hill) - Learning (Busuu): :fr: (A1 McGraw-Hill) | :brazil: (interm.)

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

@Thomas.Heiss

"Max pitched the baseball to Alice".

This sounds right.

@jlbernardes11 Moved to viewforum.php?f=88-inglês

Welcome to Duome!

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

XeO3
Botswana

Post by XeO3 »

It's called 'dative alternation' or 'dative shift'. Sentences like I throw him the ball & I throw the ball to him are synonyms. You delete the preposition if you put the indirect object (the thing getting the action of the verb 'second-hand') before the direct object (the thing directly receiving the action of the verb). Wikipedia has an article on it, but the grammar is pretty dense.

Ett annat språk ä ren annan syn på livet

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

There are so many grammar differences for prepositions between Portuguese and English.

The EN->PT course gives several examples when to use por vs para, several possible solutions how to translate and use in/on/at based on context.

Me struggling here and there in Portuguese - as a native German and 2nd English speaker - I can clearly see why it must be NOT so easy for a Brazilian/Portuguese speaker too; it's not for me either.

The EN->PT course (to learn Portuguese, some users used it as a reverse tree to write more in English) has a few more written examples and explanations:

Old Web T&N: www.duome.eu/tips/en/pt

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

IIRC there also was a thread/collection about several interesting English threads (advanced detailed stuff) on the old Duolingo discussion forum.

However, I don't remember the author name and if those forum threads about EN usage got archived or not.
He was a Portuguese speaker with extensive English knowledge (much better than mine).

My old Laptops broke all down, one is still at a service center (with some DL saved data from archive.ph on the HDD) but with permanent mainboard Smd electronics damage.

Some stored DL forum content is spread here or there or the authors moved it to their own blog / website.

Hopefully the clerk / service technician has not deleted everything or already thrown it away or gave the Sdd to the insurance company (what a ridiculous request this one was!).

Return to “Inglês”