Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Unable to use my keyboard anymore, only a words bank, after a 365 day streak! I'll have to stop using DUO, I'm afraid

We are not Duolingo, we cannot solve any problems directly, but we can provide community-based advice.

EranBarLev
Israel

Re: Unable to use my keyboard anymore, only a words bank, after a 365 day streak! I'll have to stop using DUO, I'm afrai

Post by EranBarLev »

DaliborNovy wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:46 pm

@EranBarLev If it doesn't work after reinstalling, don't you still have Requestly enabled in Brave? Or another extension that might affect Duolingo?

I don't know what Requestly is, and I don't use it. I have the SD script enabled in both Brave and Edge.

🇮🇱N 🇬🇧C1 🇪🇸B2 🇵🇹B1 🇫🇷B1 🇸🇦A1 🇷🇺A1

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Re: Unable to use my keyboard anymore, only a words bank, after a 365 day streak! I'll have to stop using DUO, I'm afrai

Post by DaliborNovy »

@EranBarLev OK, I assume you have tried to disable the Sentence Discussion script (/whole Tampermonkey extension) + uninstall TypeLingo, reboot, install TypeLingo. Sometimes after installation, if it doesn't work, you have to close the browser, wait a minute, and open it again. By the way, Requestly made the solution before we got the new mode of TypeLingo. See above.

Native: 🇨🇿ㅤ Learning: 🇺🇸 🇫🇷DuomeDuolingoDuoBooster

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

recently some words have started appearing in red and apparently indicating that that answer is not accepted (even tho it's included in the correct answers list) 🤯
like for example not using present continuous or not spelling out the numbers 🤔

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

@LICA98 It's normal in the old mode. You can only use the words that are in the word bank. Switch TypeLingo to the new mode.

EranBarLev
Israel

Post by EranBarLev »

DaliborNovy wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:15 am

@EranBarLev OK, I assume you have tried to disable the Sentence Discussion script (/whole Tampermonkey extension) + uninstall TypeLingo, reboot, install TypeLingo.

OK, it works now! :D
I have 2 other extensions unrelated to DL only on Brave. I disabled all the extensions except TypeLingo, and it started working. Then I enabled them one by one, and it still works with all of them enabled.
Rebooting and reinstalling didn't work though.
Thanks!

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

@Nowam This experience has been confirmed to me repeatedly. After working in the Old mode (suitable for the monolingual part of the course), the New mode didn't work. After starting a lesson, the page didn't even refresh as usual. Sometimes exiting Duolingo and relaunch helped. Sometimes closing and reopening the browser was necessary (both repeatedly, usually the 2nd - 3rd attempt was successful). In some cases, I had to reinstall TypeLingo. EN from CS course (https://www.duolingo.com/enroll/en/cs/Učte-se anglicky), Chrome browser, Duolingo Solution Viewer and Google Translate extensions also enabled. It's not a serious problem, but if you encounter this behavior, you might want to look into it.

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

has anyone had the problem that when doing the first lesson of the day after typing 1-2 sentences the whole page refreshes and you have to start all over? usually it also reenables the word bank so you have to click on the "use keyboard" again

L-profile
Russia

Post by L-profile »

LICA98 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:24 pm

has anyone had the problem that when doing the first lesson of the day after typing 1-2 sentences the whole page refreshes and you have to start all over? usually it also reenables the word bank so you have to click on the "use keyboard" again

Yes, it happens frequently. It also happens that the 'Continue' button freezes, and then you just have to refresh the page or delete the tab and open Duo in a new one.

Image Image Image Image Image :tonga:

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

LICA98 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:24 pm

Yes, it happens to me on Mondays when the new version of DuoLingo is released. I think this can happen especially on slower machines or connections.

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

L-profile wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:56 am

... It also happens that the 'Continue' button freezes, and then you just have to refresh the page or delete the tab and open Duo in a new one.

I think this has happened to me a few times even without TypeLingo. Anyway, I'm sure it was always during a practice lesson - to earn a heart. So I think this is a problem in Duolingo that hasn't been solved for a long time. Maybe for a reason. Do others have a similar experience?

Gottogetout
France

Post by Gottogetout »

Hi buddies,
I came back to take over the Russian course. As you maybe know, I stopped Duo about one year ago, due the impossibility of typing sentences on the keyboard on a PC. A huge disappointment for many of us, it seems.
The fact is that I had no smartphone in over ten years (for a particular reason I won't explain now)
I have been using a smartphone, now again, for about 9 months and I started again the Russian course from zero.
I still prefer to do it on a PC. Even though you have to click on words too, I find it less tiring and faster than on the smartphone, having tested both systems.
So, yes, for me the PC version appears to be kind of a simple transposition of the app. It was not like that about one year and a half ago. That' s the way it is. It's better than no course of course, let's say.
In any cases I wouldn't be able to type Russians words and sentences on my keyboard. it's to soon for that. Then In the case of Russian let's say it's okay :)
I like doing the course, no doubt.

🇪🇸 Español 🇫🇷 Français (Bilingual) - 🇺🇸 English (Fluent) - 🇩🇪 Deutsch 🇮🇹 Italiano, 🇧🇷 Português (Exposing to, acquiring) 🇷🇺 русский Image عربي (initiated, very interested)

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

@Gottogetout The solution is below. Maybe it's time to mark this topic as solved, don't you think?

TypeLingo: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... ebeflcgepc

Gottogetout
France

Post by Gottogetout »

Hi, I didn't come here for a long time. I'm gonna look at that, to see what you're talking about.
Oh! I see. A chrome extension. Unbelievable.
I will test it, thanks, and will tell you what I think about it.
if that resolves the gap it's good. Not done by Duo. so, intuitively I'm not super confident but I will test it.

🇪🇸 Español 🇫🇷 Français (Bilingual) - 🇺🇸 English (Fluent) - 🇩🇪 Deutsch 🇮🇹 Italiano, 🇧🇷 Português (Exposing to, acquiring) 🇷🇺 русский Image عربي (initiated, very interested)

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

@Nowam Many thanks for the new version 1.1.5 ! Everything ;) works perfectly, I recommend it to everyone. Learning is really a joy now. https://chromewebstore.google.com/detai ... ebeflcgepc

jf221100
Great Britain

SOLUTION - Re: Unable to use my keyboard anymore, only a words bank

Post by jf221100 »

Chrome extension which immediately fixed and brought back the word bank. I was about two clicks away from giving up and deleting my entire account. Its called "TypeLingo" on google if anyone wants to search rather than trust a link. Free and zero set up, just enable and say adios to the awful... awful word banks.
https://chromewebstore.google.com/detai ... gepc?pli=1

Irritated me so much, feel like I was making no progress as I didn't need to memorise the words or understand the grammar, the premade words did it all for me, never felt so confused without having to type.

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

Has it's Pros and Cons.

Word bank often reads out aloud the French words of the bubbles/banks, so that's an advantage.

With any EN->FR free typing Duolingo is lost to play the French audio for the whole sentence.
Always was like this.

Camilo's userscript "TreeEnhancer" doesn't work anymore to enable all the TTS audio, unfortunately.

Even I was long time an exclusive web user I changed over to the Android app (an older one).
And yes, versions got worse with more forced word banks.

Web Chrome and Firefox (Nightly) even allow the word bank rearrangement without having to remove all bubbles from the answer field.

The older Android V5.73.2 doesn't allow this, not yet. But has some other advantages.

Text readability always was not so great on an Android phone (6.67" screen) as the html code implements Accessibility strangely.
New Chrome Dev zoom feature doesn't help much; either disable or make use of broken text scaling at 155%.

So my big tip for web users is to use Firefox Nightly, Kiwi or Yandex Alpha browsers.
The two latter support full Chrome extensions. Some work, others do not.

Accessibility/ text scaling IMHO works much better on this phone for Firefox Nightly, not with Chrome (Dev), if you don't use the mobile apps.

:de: Native | :us: Upper-B2 (BritishCouncil) | ImageL25 (Duo) / A2 (6+y, McGraw-Hill) - Learning (Busuu): :fr: (A1 McGraw-Hill) | :brazil: (interm.)

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Re: SOLUTION - Re: Unable to use my keyboard anymore, only a words bank

Post by DaliborNovy »

jf221100 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 9:54 pm

Chrome extension which immediately fixed and brought back the word bank. I was about two clicks away from giving up and deleting my entire account. Its called "TypeLingo" on google if anyone wants to search rather than trust a link. Free and zero set up, just enable and say adios to the awful... awful word banks.
https://chromewebstore.google.com/detai ... gepc?pli=1

Irritated me so much, feel like I was making no progress as I didn't need to memorise the words or understand the grammar, the premade words did it all for me, never felt so confused without having to type.

Thank you, we're glad you found it (even from outside of duome). Just for fun, take a look a few posts above. We worked together to develop this Chrome extension ;)

EranBarLev
Israel

Post by EranBarLev »

Typelingo is not working today. The lesson doesn't reload when I start it, and there is no keyboard option. I tried restarting, rebooting, turning the extension off and on, but nothing helps. :(

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

It's Wednesday.
Doesn't staff roll out a new code every new week?
Isn't Monday evening their maintenance update? Or on another day?

This probably means html code/div elements have changed once again??

Ask Camilo. Staff has always managed to break his audio "Duolingo TreeEnhancer" userscript on a regular basis, so many times. He could fix it for a long time repeatingly; but now (with the path UI, new website) he's finally given up on it as it seems.
I haven't seen any code changes on his github.com repository for a longer time.

Sometimes they (staff) release new stuff before the weekend IIRC. Rollout on the server once broke some app functionality (older tree version) earlier but last year they were quick with a fix (within 24-48 hours).

So I guess you can be lucky if Nowam keeps updating his extension every time the div elements or JavaScript code logic have changed once again.
Staff seems to find it extra funny to make all these changes only to corrupt all existing userscripts and extensions - just like Memrise did it on the Web with the rewrites.

Last edited by Thomas.Heiss on Wed May 29, 2024 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

:de: Native | :us: Upper-B2 (BritishCouncil) | ImageL25 (Duo) / A2 (6+y, McGraw-Hill) - Learning (Busuu): :fr: (A1 McGraw-Hill) | :brazil: (interm.)

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

@EranBarLev TypeLingo v.1.1.5 works for me all the time. Try fully exiting Duolingo (Go to another website in the same Chrome tab), wait a few seconds, and come back to Duolingo.

@Thomas.Heiss The developer of TypeLingo is @Nowam . Yes, new versions of Duolingo are released on Mondays.

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

@Thomas.Heiss Thank goodness, TypeLingo is so brilliant that it doesn't need to update div element class names after common Duolingo upgrades.

Return to “Duolingo”