Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Icelandic language Topic is solved

XeO3
Botswana

Re: Icelandic language

Post by XeO3 »

18X wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:39 pm

Oh wow, that’s unexpectedly! I didn’t know that there’s Kazakh in Clozemaster!
Feel free to ask questions about Kazakh if there will be!
Though I’m not sure if I can explain language better than chat gpt does 😁

Oh and thanks for the advice - I wasn’t sure if I should write down the sentences.

Thanks everyone for sharing great music!

XeO3 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 3:28 pm
18X wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 8:09 am

Impressive. For me it’s almost impossible. I mean learning language by yourself using textbooks.
Before Duo I was sure that I can learn languages only with teacher and in a group.

Yesterday I started to try to learn Icelandic in Clozemaster.
It’s very unusual, but what I liked - it explains every word in a sentence.
Let’s see where it may bring.
After completing Arabic in Duo I started to believe in miracles.

I'm more interested in gaining reading ability than spoken fluency in most cases. And I find the journey more fascinating than destination.

Clozemaster is not ideal for learning a language from scratch. It does get you accustomed to the look of a language on the page, how it builds sentences & what it sounds like. But go slow & make a phrasebook of sentences you find fun or interesting or instructive. Use knowledge of any other Germanic language as a 'cheat', even if it is just English. I like that Clozemaster provides colloquial translations; it gets you away from literal, word-for-word translations.

:D I will try Kazakh on Clozemaster as an experiment, to see what a pig's breakfast I make of it... :D

Kazakh was an epic fail: it is far from what I'm used to, so essentially guessing I got 8 out of 10 wrong. By contrast I got 10 out of 10 right for another language I've never studied: Norwegian. Because it is closely-related to languages I speak, study or am interested in. In both languages, every sentence had audio (Duolingo & Clozemaster don't provide audio for ALL sentences for each language they offer).

You may need to pay for Clozemaster to make a notebook of sentences on the site itself; I just cut & paste sentences into word doc files.

Back to Icelandic, Wikipedia has good, clear explanations of Icelandic grammar:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icelandic_grammar
Not a substitute for a book or detailed website, it is good if you want a brief overview. You can click on much of the linguistic terms if you need to have them defined. And there are excellent references & links at the bottom of the article.

They also have a page for phonology (the sound system); you can click on the sounds & get audio for most (all) of them/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icelandic_phonology

Easter Island can be difficult to find, since its location changes every year.

18X
Kazakhstan

Post by 18X »

Yes, some of them are Turkic languages (Kyrgyz, Tatar, Uzbek, Azerbaijani, etc). But mostly not.
A lot of very diverse languages.
It was a result of repressions of minor nations during bloody terror of Soviet Union. Trains with people came into steppes in 1930s - Chechens, Ukrainians, Polish, Jewish people, Bulgarians, Turkish, Kurds, tatars from Crimea, etc.
And because of according to nomadic lows any stranger first of all should be fed, most of them survived despite of severe hunger years and collectivisation politics.

I was born and partially raised (spent holidays because my grandma lived there) in a village on the East of KZ where many German people lived.
They were descendants of Wolgadeutsche - people who “were invited to Russia empire” by Ekaterina II.
Long story short, not only Turkic tribes live on the territory of Kazakhstan, Central Asia, Siberia and around Caspian Sea.

Regarding language.
Since KZ joined to Soviet Union Russian became a language of international communication on its territory. And still is official 2nd language in the country.

Actually, politics of ussr did a lot to destroy our language and traditions. I remember in kindergarten we were punished for reading Kazakh fairytales in Kazakh.
I believe, such things happened not only in my country.
I know a lot of Kazakhs who don’t speak Kazakh. Step by step it recovers.
So, we all - these nations know really well Russian. Probably better than our native languages.

Regarding mountains at the border.
When I was kid my family lived in a village very close to Chinese border.
It was a defended border which wasn’t easy to pass from both sides. And still is.
On the Chinese part there was a polygon where they tested bombs. I don’t remember anyone who had desire to walk to that parts despite it was easy technically - border is on a steppe.
Sometimes we had rumours in village about refugees or spies from there.
But i personally never met such people or official news.

There are some ethnic Kazakhs who returned to Kazakhstan from China (mostly Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region) after collapse of USSR.
It’s an official procedure of repatriation for Kazakhs who refuge to China, Mongolia, Iran, Turkey, etc… during Soviet famine of 1932-33.

Travelling in 2013 near Izmir (Turkey) with parents we met an old wiseman.
We stayed for a few hours in his farm-restaurant which he called “Alaş Kazak Vadisi”.
Before retirement he worked as an interpreter for NATO for many years.

He told many stories of his family/tribe who pass through those mountains, and then through Tibet to India and from there to Turkey… they lost many people on the way.
I remembered his stories when I’ve read about “..high mountains so not easy to walk” in your post.

PtolemysXX wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:55 pm
18X wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:19 pm

There are more than 100 nations in Kazakhstan but we more or less understand each other despite of absolutely different languages, traditions and religions.

Very interesting. Are these nations all speaking Turkic languages? How do you communicate - does everyone speak their own language and other people understand or do you have one common standard language that you use when talking to strangers?

18X wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:19 pm

Difference with China which is so close (...)

Looking recently at the map of Asia I was surprised to find out that the eastern corner of Kazakhstan is so close to the western corner of China... Less than 40km straight line? I realize it is high mountains though so not easy to walk :shock:

ararat-tempest
St Helena

Post by ararat-tempest »

@XeO3
thanks a lot for recommending Clozemaster! didn't know it has the Galician course. I didn't find any textbooks about this language, but now I could take a bite of this Galician "dinner" xD.

native: 🇨🇳 a teacher of: 🇺🇸🇯🇵 primary: 🇳🇴🇩🇰🇸🇪🇫🇮🇮🇩🇳🇱🇭🇹🇪🇸🇧🇷🇮🇹🇻🇳🇫🇷Image secondary: 🇰🇷🇹🇷🇨🇿ImageImage planned: ImageImage🇪🇪🇮🇸🇫🇴🇱🇨🇨🇼🇿🇦🇹🇱🇱🇺🇰🇮🇲🇾🇸🇰🇲🇪🇧🇦🇷🇸🇭🇷🇬🇱

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

loecsn has Icelandic and many other languages.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

18X
Kazakhstan

Post by 18X »

Corinnebelle wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 11:03 pm

loecsn has Icelandic and many other languages.

Thanks a lot for the link!!

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

@18X Also try https://mylanguages.org/learn_icelandic.php

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

18X
Kazakhstan

Post by 18X »

Corinnebelle wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 5:56 pm

@18X Also try https://mylanguages.org/learn_icelandic.php

Wow! Thanks a lot!!

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

@18X Found another one!

https://www.digitaldialects.com/Icelandic.htm

You could also try drops.

https://languagedrops.com/languages

18X
Kazakhstan

Post by 18X »

Corinnebelle wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 7:29 pm

@18X Found another one!

https://www.digitaldialects.com/Icelandic.htm

You could also try drops.

https://languagedrops.com/languages

@Corinnebelle , Thank you! Tried both. Looks great!
Do you use any of them?

Btw, wanted to friend you in Duo, but didn’t find. Do you use Duo?

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

@18X I do use Duo, but I'm private, that's why you couldn't find me. I have used drops and loecsn sometimes.

Return to “Languages not yet covered...”