Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Hon brukar vilja att simma på morgonen

Eppi
Finland

Hon brukar vilja att simma på morgonen

Post by Eppi »

Hi guys!

Why is it wrong to say "Hon brukar vilja att simma på morgonen"? "She usually wants to swim in the morning"

There are other examples too where it's marked wrong to add a preposiyion, but of course there is no explanation why it's so.

All and all I'm having a hard time with the prepositions, I just can't get them right. There are many meanings for all of them and they are holding me back 'cause all other goes well.

SansEspoir
Norway

Re: Hon brukar vilja att simma på morgonen

Post by SansEspoir »

The reason why the preposition "att" is not used in this context is because in Swedish, the infinitive form of the verb (vilja) is used after modal verbs like "brukar" (usually). So, the correct structure is "brukar + vilja + verb" without any prepositions.
It's important to note that prepositions in Swedish can be challenging since they can have multiple meanings and uses.

To make it more confusing, you can also say "hon brukar att vilja simma på morgonen".

DuoMe Profile Learning 🇮🇹/Image + 🇩🇪, with the most focus on 🇮🇹 for now.
Working on repairing the 🇸🇪 🇩🇰 Legendaries after the 2023 updates, but refusing to pay for the snake makes it hard :mrgreen: as long as a kind soul keeps me in their family plan Image. 🇳🇴 Legendary is finally completed again.

Eppi
Finland

Re: Hon brukar vilja att simma på morgonen

Post by Eppi »

Thanks this helps a lot!

Return to “Sentence discussions”