Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Aramaic or Syriac

Corinnebelle

Aramaic or Syriac

Post by Corinnebelle »

Anyone interested in learning Aramaic or Syriac? I would like to learn it so if anyone can teach it, that would be great!

Aramaic is the language the Jews spoke after the exile. The Peshitta is written in Aramaic as well as parts of Daniel and Ezra. Jewish Targums, much of Jewish rabbinic literature and a lot of Syrian Christian literature is in Aramaic. Also some of the Dead Sea Scrolls.

Source

Aramaic has many scripts. The square script Hebrew is in today was adopted from Aramaic.

Chaldean neo-aramaic

![chaldeanneoaramaic](https://omniglot.com/images/writing/cha ... ramaic.gif)

Estrangelo

![syriac estrangelo](https://omniglot.com/images/writing/syr ... angelo.gif)

Serto

![syriac serto](https://omniglot.com/images/writing/syriac_serto.gif)

For the Peshitta you can use the Peshitta tool by dukhrana. They also have a number of lexicons you can download. I taught myself some of the scripts so I can find words in the lexicons but I can't read very well. I hope to be able to read it one day!

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Jacko079
United States of America

Re: Aramaic or Syriac

Post by Jacko079 »

Aramaic looks very interesting! I probably won’t take it up though, learning Arabic is enough work for me. :)

Learning: Italian and Arabic.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Jacko079 wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:14 am

Aramaic looks very interesting! I probably won’t take it up though, learning Arabic is enough work for me. :)

Arabic is a fascinating language I think. Aramaic is quite similar to Hebrew. Hebrew and Arabic share similarities as well. According to this it's about 60%. Like German and English. Aramaic and Hebrew compare to each other as sister languages for example as English to Dutch. Dutch is closer to English than German from the Germanic language tree. Hebrew, Arabic and Aramaic are from the Semitic language tree.

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Stasia
Poland

Post by Stasia »

Corinnebelle wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:38 am

Hebrew, Arabic and Aramaic are from the Semitic language tree.

Indeed (image from Encyclopaedia Britannica):

Based on the image, I'd guess that Hebrew and Aramaic are very close, and Arabic is (are? I think the regional differences can be significant) slightly more distant from the other two.

Native: :poland:; Fluent: :es:, :us:; Getting there: Image; Intermediate: :fr:; Beginner: :ukraine:

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Stasia wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:14 pm
Corinnebelle wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:38 am

Hebrew, Arabic and Aramaic are from the Semitic language tree.

Indeed (image from Encyclopaedia Britannica):

Based on the image, I'd guess that Hebrew and Aramaic are very close, and Arabic is (are? I think the regional differences can be significant) slightly more distant from the other two.

Your image isn't working but the family tree was interesting in the link.

Stasia
Poland

Post by Stasia »

Sorry for the image problems - it was from that link, and it should work now. :ugeek:

Native: :poland:; Fluent: :es:, :us:; Getting there: Image; Intermediate: :fr:; Beginner: :ukraine:

Return to “Languages not yet covered...”