Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Golden tree vs L5 tree Topic is solved

We are not Duolingo, we cannot solve any problems directly, but we can provide community-based advice.

Liseechka
United States of America

Golden tree vs L5 tree

Post by Liseechka »

The legend/stats section of https://duome.eu/en/fr has golden tree, L5 tree and golden L5 tree. What are the definitions of those?

I’ve always (in my head) called what seems to be L5 tree a “golden tree” since everything is gold at that point, but then what is “golden tree” or “golden L5 tree” in the stats?

Attachments
5CD09EDA-3EC2-4D66-8770-3378648C7B0F.jpeg
5CD09EDA-3EC2-4D66-8770-3378648C7B0F.jpeg (158.46 KiB) Viewed 586 times
duome

Re: Golden tree vs L5 tree

Post by duome »

L5 Tree = all skills @ Level 5
Golden Tree = all skills @ 100% strength (not cracked)
Golden L5 Tree = combination of the above

And all this is long before they introduced Legendary levels - those should probably be considered as well.

SweNedGuy
Belgium

Post by SweNedGuy »

Golden trees do not remain golden for very long. Duolingo tends to downgrade skill strength irrespective of your performance. I've got a tree where 'Basics1" is downgraded beyond repair. This leftover of Duolingo before the introduction of crowns is the most flawed feature still around. Lousy programming also, since the strength of skills with one or few lesssons per level tends to be downgraded very rapidly.
I have switched off the skill strength add-on; in this way DL can no longer misdirect my learning efforts to make me repeat anything trivial.

Speaking :netherlands: :fr: :uk: :es: Learning :de:(B2-) :it:(B1) Image :sweden: :portugal: Image (A)

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

SweNedGuy wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:36 pm

Golden trees do not remain golden for very long. Duolingo tends to downgrade skill strength irrespective of your performance. I've got a tree where 'Basics1" is downgraded beyond repair. This leftover of Duolingo before the introduction of crowns is the most flawed feature still around. Lousy programming also, since the strength of skills with one or few lesssons per level tends to be downgraded very rapidly.
I have switched off the skill strength add-on; in this way DL can no longer misdirect my learning efforts to make me repeat anything trivial.

Does the dumbbell still use this method for reviews?

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

SweNedGuy
Belgium

Post by SweNedGuy »

Corinnebelle wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:01 am
SweNedGuy wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:36 pm

Golden trees do not remain golden for very long. Duolingo tends to downgrade skill strength irrespective of your performance. I've got a tree where 'Basics1" is downgraded beyond repair.(...)

Does the dumbbell still use this method for reviews?

It may, though I'm not really sure it ever did. This could be verified on a tree where you let the skill strength decay on the complete first chapter. If you then get easy or trivial questions using the dumbbell, this would be a circumstantial indication that skill strength is indeed taken into account.

I have found an elaborate article on Greg's reflections treating this topic. Unfortuantely it dates back to before the introduction of the crowns, so the conclusions may no longer be valid.

Speaking :netherlands: :fr: :uk: :es: Learning :de:(B2-) :it:(B1) Image :sweden: :portugal: Image (A)

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]SweNedGuy[/mention] Back in the day when we had strengthen.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Return to “Duolingo”