Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Nos pasaron un video muy gracioso. (en → es)

Moderators: xillegas, Stasia

sentence bot 🤖

Nos pasaron un video muy gracioso. (en → es)

Post by sentence bot 🤖 »

Nos pasaron un video muy gracioso.

en: They sent us a very funny video.

dochawk
United States of America

Re: Nos pasaron un video muy gracioso. (en → es)

Post by dochawk »

there seems to be a pattern on when the stock answers use "enviar", and when "pasar", but I can;'t put my finger on it.

Cifi

Post by Cifi »

To me, pasar doesn't seem to be the closest or most common translation of to send and vice versa.

Reverso context has several translations of pasar (https://context.reverso.net/translation ... lish/pasar), but not to send. To transfer is the one that conveys a similar idea at least.

I think I'd use pasar when the meaning is either something I received and passed/forwarded to someone else (e.g. "Vamos a pasar su información a las autoridades competentes"), or something where both origin and target matter ("La gente suele usarlo normalmente para pasar archivos entre el teléfono y su ordenador").

Maybe [mention]gmads[/mention] or [mention]Fer²[/mention] (if still around here) can confirm or correct my approach? [Edit: or [mention]Explorer[/mention] - sorry, I didn't think of you]

Last edited by Cifi on Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Native: :de: Intermediate: :uk: Lower intermediate: :es: Beginner: :fr: Absolute beginner: 🇬🇷
(If there are errors in what I'm writing in either language, please do correct me - I'll never take it as offense or something like that.)

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

Enviar and pasar (and even mandar) should be accepted.

• Nos enviaron un vídeo
  • Nos mandaron un vídeo
  • Nos pasaron un vídeo
  • Nos rularon un vídeo (Spanish slang)

I see no difference.

🇬🇧 🇪🇸 🇵🇹 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 | Learning: 🇯🇵 🇮🇹 |

pawndemic
Germany

Post by pawndemic »

Cifi wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:31 pm

To me, pasar doesn't seem to be the closest or most common translation of to send and vice versa.

Be careful, pasar has thousands of meanings.
A brief look at the almighty RAE: will reveal

4. tr. Enviar, transmitir. Pasar un recado, los autos.

native: 🇩🇪, B2 - C1: 🇬🇧 🇪🇸, A1: 🇫🇷 🇮🇹

Fer²
Spain

Post by Fer² »

Reverso context has several translations of pasar (https://context.reverso.net/translation ... lish/pasar), but not to send. To transfer is the one that conveys a similar idea at least.

I think I'd use pasar when the meaning is either something I received and passed/forwarded to someone else (e.g. "Vamos a pasar su información a las autoridades competentes"), or something where both origin and target matter ("La gente suele usarlo normalmente para pasar archivos entre el teléfono y su ordenador").

Maybe @gmads or @Fer² (if still around here) can confirm or correct my approach? [Edit: or @Explorer - sorry, I didn't think of you]

Who dares summon me from my slumber? Oh, it's you Cifi! Long time no read.

I see what you mean about transferring or passing along, and there's some truth to it. But I also wholly agree with [mention]Explorer[/mention] that pasar sounds perfectly fine here.

If anything, I'd make a distinction on register. To me at least, pasar would be more casual. Not slangy like rular, but perhaps too vague to use on a formal work email. In your sentence containing las autoridades competentes I'd rather expect transmitir or hacer llegar (Spanish formal style is quite fond of using two verbs when one can do the job just as well). That's unrelated to the meaning, though; your usage would work just fine in «Le paso tus ideas a María, que es la que lleva el tema».

:es: | :gb: :fr: :it: Image | :sweden: :de: :ru: | ···

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

On the one hand, I'd say that enviar (translation of the verb to send) indicates an intentional act: when a sender "envía" ("sends") something, he has specific reason for sending that something to the recipient. On the other hand, pasar, (meaning "to send") implies a casual action, something done in a non-formal way.

• mi jefe me envió este documento para que lo corrija
  • mi jefe me pasó un video muy gracioso

At least that is how I would try to differentiate these two synonyms.

As @Explorer said, there are many possible synonyms.

• Nos enviaron un vídeo
  • Nos mandaron un vídeo
  • Nos pasaron un vídeo
  • Nos rularon un vídeo (Spanish slang)

From my point of view, they are listed from a higher to a lower degree of intentionality.

I think that "rular" is a more of a Spanish (from Spain) term. I don't know about other countries in America, but in Mexico the term "rolar" is used. Both share the same meaning: to roll something, and same idea: to pass/share something to someone.

After taking a look at RAE's entry recommended by @Pawndemic, I would also include number 9 as it is related in meaning.

• 4: enviar, transmitir
  • 9: transferir o trasladar algo de una persona a otra

I think I'd use pasar when the meaning is either something I received and passed/forwarded to someone else (e.g. "Vamos a pasar su información a las autoridades competentes") [...]

The meaning and the proposed example are both right.

This case would be related to RAE's entries 4 & 9.

[...] or something where both origin and target matter ("La gente suele usarlo normalmente para pasar archivos entre el teléfono y su ordenador").

Or where they are simply mentioned.

This case would be related to RAE's entries 1 & 2.

The following are two good reference sites:

Regarding examples, the following site has quite a number of example sentences:

¡Pásala bien! :D

:hash:  ㆍespañol ㆍvocabulario ㆍSentenceDiscussion

Last edited by gmads on Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

🦎  Amazonia is now becoming a carbon source.  🦎
Elysium - Master of the rainforest

🇲🇽 :us:  ·  :it: 🇧🇷  ·  :ru: 🇦🇪

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

Let me also note that video is stressed on the second syllable in America (llana), and on the first syllable in Spain (esdrújula).

🇬🇧 🇪🇸 🇵🇹 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 | Learning: 🇯🇵 🇮🇹 |

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Explorer wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:01 pm

Let me also note that video is stressed on the second syllable in America (llana), and on the first syllable in Spain (esdrújula).

Indeed. I tend to use both :)

🦎  Amazonia is now becoming a carbon source.  🦎
Elysium - Master of the rainforest

🇲🇽 :us:  ·  :it: 🇧🇷  ·  :ru: 🇦🇪

Cifi

Post by Cifi »

Fer² wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:30 pm

Who dares summon me from my slumber? Oh, it's you Cifi! Long time no read.

Yes, I am back to Spanish after some months of messing with Greek and French.

Native: :de: Intermediate: :uk: Lower intermediate: :es: Beginner: :fr: Absolute beginner: 🇬🇷
(If there are errors in what I'm writing in either language, please do correct me - I'll never take it as offense or something like that.)

EranBarLev
Israel

Post by EranBarLev »

🇮🇱N 🇬🇧C1 🇪🇸B2 🇵🇹B1 🇫🇷B1 🇸🇦A1 🇷🇺A1

Return to “Sentence discussions”