Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

בירה משנה את איך שאתה חושב. (en → he)

Moderator: Corinnebelle

sentence bot 🤖

בירה משנה את איך שאתה חושב. (en → he)

Post by sentence bot 🤖 »

בירה משנה את איך שאתה חושב.

en: Beer changes how you think.

Duolingo forum topic: https://forum.duolingo.com/comment/23977762

Corinnebelle

Re: בירה משנה את איך שאתה חושב. (en → he)

Post by Corinnebelle »

So I get that there is את in the sentence because if you ask what beer changes as in what is the direct object, the answer is "how you think". But why the ש on שאתה I would expect that without a direct object, but with one, "Beer changes how that you think." doesn't sound right in English. Is this just a grammatical quality of Hebrew, English doesn't have?

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

EranBarLev
Israel

Post by EranBarLev »

Corinnebelle wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:05 am

So I get that there is את in the sentence because if you ask what beer changes as in what is the direct object, the answer is "how you think". But why the ש on שאתה I would expect that without a direct object, but with one, "Beer changes how that you think." doesn't sound right in English. Is this just a grammatical quality of Hebrew, English doesn't have?

In Hebrew every clause must always begin with a conjunction, usually ש. In English in this case you just append the clause without any conjunction, but in conditionals the conjunction "if" is required.

🇮🇱N 🇬🇧C1 🇪🇸B2 🇵🇹B1 🇫🇷B1 🇸🇦A1 🇷🇺A1

EranBarLev
Israel

Post by EranBarLev »

Archive: https://archive.li/J6JcN
No audio.

🇮🇱N 🇬🇧C1 🇪🇸B2 🇵🇹B1 🇫🇷B1 🇸🇦A1 🇷🇺A1

Return to “Sentence discussions”