Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Difference between מאין ומאיפה? Topic is solved

Moderator: Corinnebelle

Corinnebelle

Difference between מאין ומאיפה?

Post by Corinnebelle »

What's the difference between מאיפה ומאין?

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

EranBarLev
Israel

Re: Difference between מאין ומאיפה?

Post by EranBarLev »

They mean the same. מאיפה is more common. מאין is very formal.

🇮🇱N 🇬🇧C1 🇪🇸B2 🇵🇹B1 🇫🇷B1 🇸🇦A1 🇷🇺A1

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

So like KJV English versus everyday English? KJV English was actually informal back in the day.

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Zimozie
Finland

Post by Zimozie »

Corinnebelle wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:26 am

So like KJV English versus everyday English? KJV English was actually informal back in the day.

כן, "מאין" מילה מהתנ"ך. אני לא בטוח לגמרי אם יש את המילה "מאיפה" בתנ"ך כי נראה לי שזאת מילה חדשה שהומצאה אחרי תחיית השפה העברית.

🇫🇮 native, 🇺🇲 C1-B2, 🇫🇷🇮🇱🇸🇪 B2-B1, 🇪🇸 B1-A2, 🇯🇴🇪🇪🇳🇴A2-A1, 🇷🇺🇺🇦🇬🇷🇨🇳 A1
Duolingo profile: https://duome.eu/zimozie77

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Zimozie wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:54 am

כן, "מאין" מילה מהתנ"ך. אני לא בטוח לגמרי אם יש את המילה "מאיפה" בתנ"ך כי נראה לי שזאת מילה חדשה שהומצאה אחרי תחיית השפה העברית.

Translation:

Yes, "where from 'מאין'" is a word from the Tanach. I am not completely sure if there is the word "מאיפה" in the Tanach because I see that this is a new word that was invented after the Hebrew language was resurrected.

Can't find מאיפה when searching the Tanach. Do you know why this word was invented?

Zimozie
Finland

Post by Zimozie »

Corinnebelle wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:53 am
Zimozie wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:54 am

Translation:

Yes, "where from 'מאין'" is a word from the Tanach. I am not completely sure if there is the word "מאיפה" in the Tanach because I see that this is a new word that was invented after the Hebrew language was resurrected.

Can't find מאיפה when searching the Tanach. Do you know why this word was invented?

My guess is that people simply started to think: איפה where + מ from = מאיפה where from. And thus people started to use that. This is just my guessing.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]Zimozie[/mention] What about איפה?

Zimozie
Finland

Post by Zimozie »

Corinnebelle wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:25 pm

@Zimozie What about איפה?

I don't remember whether that word exists in the Tanach or not. :/

Return to “Vocabulary”