Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Він не любить яйця, а ти не любиш вареники. (en → uk) Topic is solved

Moderator: HeyMarlana

Dana_Dany Danuta
Poland

Він не любить яйця, а ти не любиш вареники. (en → uk)

Post by Dana_Dany Danuta »

Він не любить яйця, а ти не любиш вареники.

en: He does not like eggs and you do not like dumpligs.

Я, чесно кажучи, дуже люблю 🥚 яйця, а 🥟 вареники просто обожнюю!
Вареники з капустою та грибами, всім раджу, бо смачні! 😋

Last edited by Dana_Dany Danuta on Sun May 14, 2023 5:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Native language: 🇵🇱 Duolingo levels

Be smart and write poems. :D

Meli578588
Italy

Re: Він не любить яєця, а ти не любиш вареники. (en → uk)

Post by Meli578588 »

Я люблю яйця і ковбаса з кавою.🙂

Enzfj2
Ukraine

Post by Enzfj2 »

@Dana_Dany Danuta Please correct the title: він не любить яйця ...

@Meli578588 Я люблю ... ковбасу ... (Accusative, 1st declination)

Dana_Dany Danuta
Poland

Re: Він не любить яйця, а ти не любиш вареники. (en → uk)

Hi, @Enzfj2!
Thank you for the improvement! I sometimes make mistakes. 🙂

Цитата: «Кожен може помилитися, тому що всі просто люди».
~ Беата Павліковська

(in Polish)
Cytat: "Każdy może się pomylić, bo po prostu każdy jest tylko człowiekiem."
~ Beata Pawlikowska

Last edited by Dana_Dany Danuta on Mon May 15, 2023 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Davey944676
Great Britain

Post by Davey944676 »

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/ковбаса

@Meli578588

Я люблю яйця і ковбасу з кавою (eggs and a sausage)

Я люблю яйця і ковбаси з кавою (eggs and sausages)

Me too - on toast! :)

Last edited by Davey944676 on Sun May 14, 2023 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

🇬🇧 British Native....Learning Polish 🇵🇱, Russian 🇷🇺, Romanian 🇷🇴, Ukrainian 🇺🇦, French 🇫🇷, Welsh :wales:

Meli578588
Italy

Post by Meli578588 »

@Enzfj2 Дякую! ( For your help and corrections. ) Much appreciated . 🙂

@Davey944676 Дякую і вам! ( For the very interesting and helpful link above. ) 🙂🙂 I saved it in my notes.

Davey944676
Great Britain

Post by Davey944676 »

@Meli578588 Actually, Meli, I've had a look around for examples and it seems fine to use the singular form ковбаса/ковбасу etc for sausage (any amount of sausage), without it specifically meaning that it is one single sausage.

Also, While looking I found that there's a river in Ukraine called "Kовбаса". The River Sausage! hehe Brilliant! :)

https://goroh.pp.ua/Словозміна/ковбаса

🇬🇧 British Native....Learning Polish 🇵🇱, Russian 🇷🇺, Romanian 🇷🇴, Ukrainian 🇺🇦, French 🇫🇷, Welsh :wales:

Meli578588
Italy

Post by Meli578588 »

Дякую @Davey944676 !

Sounds like sausage can be tricky and delicious ! 🙂

“The River sausage” you just tied this lesson up nicely with a “sausage” bow! 🙂 Plus, with some extra learning material.

Я хочу рибу( for lunch) Hope I said that right.

Дуже дякую…Very helpful link .

Enzfj2
Ukraine

Post by Enzfj2 »

@Meli578588 ,@Davey944676
Generally ковбаса is kind of uncountable item, like bread:
usually you don't eat the entire piece of it as is produced, just some slice(s) or chunk(s) of it.

When countable, хліби́ (plural) 'breads' means 'loaves of bread'; there is a special word хліби́на for 'loaf', but it's used for bigger items, starting from half a kilo
usually round (the left item on the picture) or rectangular (like toast bread);
the right one is called бато́н, it's the typical formfactor for white bread: elongated oval with diagonal cuts. Smaller items are called бу́лка, even smaller бу́лочка.
I cannot but mention here the famous Ukrainian shibboleth паляни́ця

Returning to sausage(s). When countable, it can only refer to whole piece in it's skin as it was produced, be it straight, curved or round
This one is Polish, but Ukrainian home-made sausage looks very similar, except it's not smoked, but roasted.
Smaller sausages, served in one dish, usually fried, grilled or boiled, are called ковба́ски (in plural, singular ковба́ска) or, specifically, wieners or frankfurters—соси́ски (sg. соси́ска)

So, "яйця і ковбаси з кавою" sounds a bit strange, rather "яйця і ковбаски з кавою"

Meli578588
Italy

Post by Meli578588 »

@Enzfj2
Wow, how beautiful are these pictures!
Thank you so much for sharing them.

Breads and sausages look delicious.

The shibboleth паляни́ця looks like it’s on a stamp . That is really neat looking. 🙂

My family makes homemade sausages and pasta sauce . We, ( Parents, grandparents, Etc .) are from Italy and Yugoslavia. I usually buy the sausages, but make the meatballs & sauce.

I really appreciate you taking the time to introduce to us, some of your culture , foods and of course help in “Ukrainian.” 🙂 (Much needed for me !) Love the language.

Such an added bonus to our language learning.

Enzfj2
Ukraine

Post by Enzfj2 »

@Meli578588
I'm pleased to see that you liked my post.
I feel I need to explain that shibboleth is a linguistic term for the marker word, which allows to distinguish between groups of people. The word паляниця is really hard to pronounce correctly for non-Ukrainians, even for the Slavic neighbors. And I was too lazy to look for a better photo, so just posted the image from Wikipedia ;)

I can further expand my comments about eggs and sausages.
It is, obviously, about breakfast. As far as I know, Italian, French and Spanish tradition is to have just coffee and bread or croissant, perhaps with butter and jam. In Ukraine, some people have similar breakfast, some prefer something more nutritive, like eggs, sausage, ham and cheese.
But when you say just яйця, it would imply rather boiled eggs—варе́ні яйця; if you want them fried or scrambled, it will be яє́чня.
Traditionally яє́чня is fried 'на са́лі'—on pork fat (Polish słonina, Croatian slanina, German Speck), now it can be even sunflower oil or butter, however bacon/pancetta are not very popular. And, of course, it can be fried together or just served 'з ковбасо́ю', with slices or chunks of a bigger sausage, or 'з ковба́сками'—when the sausages can fit on the plate, specifically 'з соси́сками'—with frankfurters/wieners. And, of course, with bread.

Meli578588
Italy

Post by Meli578588 »

@Enzfj2 Thank you for the link and explanation of the word “Shibboleth”, so I understand the true meaning of it. 🙂

You are absolutely correct on “The Italian breakfast. My Mother grew up having just the hard bread or biscotti dipped in coffee there.
так, with toast, butter(масло) and jam or orange marmalade 🙂

Always bread , right ? Always with our meals.

Thank you for pointing out the different words and their usage/usages. ( Bread, eggs and sausages.) This is where I was making a few mistakes in the beginning, but the more I study, I am closer to none.

You’ve made Ukrainian even more fun to
Learn now ! To be able to get a “feel”
For your Country’s foods while learning the language, is a unique experience you’re providing . Дякую !

Dana_Dany Danuta
Poland

Ukrainian cuisine famous in America! 🙂

Реакція американців на українську їжу в ресторані "Veselka" у Нью-Йорку

Американцы пробуют Украинскую еду: борщ, вареники, голубцы, холодец, квас и другое

Enzfj2
Ukraine

Post by Enzfj2 »

What they tasted in the second video (unfortunately, it's in Russian...)
борщ — borscht, "beetroot soup"
голубці — stuffed cabbage leaves
вареники з картоплею — dumplings with potato
квашена капуста — sour cabbage, Sauerkraut
вінегрет — beetroot salad
холодець — meat jelly
Кіївський торт — Kyiv cake

Each item needs a longer explanation.
Let's start from борщ.
Український борщ is absolutely emblematic food, declared as UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage.
I don't fully agree with what Wikipedia says about cooking Ukrainian borscht because I never heard of using beet sour, only for Polish barszcz, and nobody cooks it for several hours, now it can take less than 1 hour, depending on the meat.
The most popular recipe includes pork, cabbage, beetroot, carrots, potatoes and tomato paste (rather than fresh tomatoes). It can be chicken, beef or other meat, canned fish (in tomato) or even forest mushrooms. Other vegetables can be added, beans (fagioli), celery, bell peppers, zucchini etc. And herbs, salt and pepper, of course.
Served зі смета́ною — with sour cream, added immediately before eating, and з пампу́шками — small white buns, when available, which are to be dipped into crushed garlic (часни́к) with a little broth, served in a small saucer. On the video they dip pampushka in the борщ, which is not right.
In most cases, however, pampushki are not served, just bread, preferably dark (rye) one — жи́тній хліб, then garlic is optional.

Enzfj2
Ukraine

Post by Enzfj2 »

Explanations to the video 2 ^^^ part 2

For the beginning, I missed the drink. It's called квас, previously it was made by fermenting stale rye bread in water with some malt or honey, I am not sure how it's produced now industrially. Interesting that the direct Polish cognate kwas means 'acid', and the word is closely related to the sour cabbage eaten later, ква́шена капу́ста. The Polish name of the drink is 'kwas chlebowy', literally 'bread acid', though it's not sour, it tastes like a bit sweety weak beer.

Next dish, голубці, are cabbage leaves, stuffed with minced meat with, usually, rice, rolled and braised in tomato sauce, often served with sour cream. This type of food is common for Middle East countries with the generic Turkish name dolma, it can be bell pepper, aubergine, zucchini etc. stuffed with minced meat or other filling. In Ukrainian cuisine, however, долма́ means grape leaves stuffed with millet, even without meat, also braised in tomato sauce.

Dana_Dany Danuta
Poland

Hi, @Enzfj2!

I noticed that it says Russian, but I thought these dishes were typically Ukrainian!
Thank you for all the corrections regarding traditional Ukrainian dishes.

I read what you write with interest. 🙂

I'll tell you that I like 'Kwas chlebowy' and it's good for hot days.
I wonder if you speak Polish and have you ever been to Poland?

Enzfj2
Ukraine

Post by Enzfj2 »

Dana_Dany Danuta wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 8:37 pm

Hi, @Enzfj2!

I noticed that it says Russian, but I thought these dishes were typically Ukrainian!
Thank you for all the corrections regarding traditional Ukrainian dishes.

I read what you write with interest. 🙂

I'll tell you that I like 'Kwas chlebowy' and it's good for hot days.
I wonder if you speak Polish and have you ever been to Poland?

Yes, the dishes are Ukrainian, and the video was grabbed in Ukraine: all factory packed products are easily available in Ukrainian supermarkets, except for Kyiv cake, which is kind of PDO product (though not legally protected), so barely available outside Kyiv.
More details later.

Yes, I've been to Poland many times and I do speak the language. You may check on the subforum for Ukrainian speakers

Enzfj2
Ukraine

Post by Enzfj2 »

Explanations to the video 2 ^^^ part 3

Варе́ники are mostly know in the English-speaking countries under Polish name 'pierogi', in Poland itself 'pierogi ruskie', where 'ruskie' doesn't mean 'Russian', but 'Ruthenian', referring to the land called Русь (Ruś in Polish and Ruthenia in Latin) which roughly covered the territory of the present-day Ukraine. I'd also remark that 'пироги́' (sg. пирíг) in Ukraine are baked pies in various shapes, while varenyky are boiled or steamed.
The flat rolled dough is cut with a cup or glass into round pieces 5-7 cm big, the filling placed into the center, the dough is folded and the edges are pressed with fingers together to keep the filling inside. The result has a half-moon shape with wavy edge
This is the only canonical shape an size of varenyky, different from other types of dumplings like Italian ravioli, Central Asian mantı, Syberian pelmeni etc, perhaps some Chinese jiaozi or Japanese gyoza may have similar shape, but they are smaller.
Potato isn't the most popular filling. No. 1 is fresh ('cottage') cheese — сир, sweetened or not, then go sour cherries (with sugar). It can be mushrooms, liver, eggs, cabbage, various berries and fruits etc. Meat, however, is not popular. Served with guess what? Yes, with sour cream, зі смета́ною, almost all varieties, some (e.g. with potato, liver, cabbage) with pork fat (сало) fried with or without onion. I didn't notice any topping in the video.

Dana_Dany Danuta
Poland

Witam, @Enzfj2!
Dziękuję bardzo za kolejne ciekawe informacje. Nawet nie pomyślałabym, że ten film został zrobiony na Ukrainie.
Chętnie spróbowałabym tego kijowskiego ciasta, myślę, że byłoby smaczne!

To świetnie, że znasz język polski! ;)
Ciekawa jestem w jakich większych miastach byłeś i czy podoba Ci się Polska?

Ja mam sentyment do Lwowa, bo część mojej rodziny stamtąd pochodziła - mieszkała tam.
Miałam zamiar odwiedzić to piękne miasto - Lwów, ale wcześniej był "COVID-19", a teraz wojna i moje plany strzeliły! :(

Życzę Ci dużo szczęścia i zdrowia! :)

Dana_Dany Danuta
Poland

@Enzfj2 Piszę po polsku, abyś ćwiczył mój język. 🙂

Dzięki, za kolejną dawkę ciekawych informacji. Masz rację, że to nie są pierogi "rosyjskie" tylko "ruskie"!

Miałam kiedyś okazję jeść: "Pirozhki - bułeczki z kapustą", te bułeczki nadziewane kapustą były smakowite!
Ukraińskie i polskie pierogi robi się podobnie: wykrawa się kółeczka, daje się farsz lub owoce i zlepia się.

Do polania pierogów, możne być tłuszcz ze skwarkami, usmażona cebula, masło lub śmietana. Natomiast owocowe pierożki polewamy masełkiem, śmietaną z cukrem lub miodem! :)

... dodam jeszcze, że:
Tradycyjne polskie pierogi to przede wszystkim pierogi ruskie. Wypełnione cebulką, twarogiem i ziemniakami nierzadko są obiektem westchnień obcokrajowców i ulubioną potrawą Polaków.

Zaraz obok nich postawić należy "pierogi z kapustą i grzybami". Są jedzone nie tylko na co dzień, ale i od święta, należą bowiem do 12 wigilijnych potraw – nie może ich zabraknąć na świątecznym stole.

Innym tradycyjnym wariantem są "pierogi z mięsem." Wypełnione wołowiną lub – rzadziej – drobiem stanowią nie tylko pyszne, ale i bardzo sycące danie.

Nie można też zapominać o "pierogach w słodkim wariancie." Mogą być one nadziewane m.in. twarogiem ( z rodzynkami, orzechami) lub owocami: truskawkami, malinami, borówkami, śliwkami, jabłkami, wiśniami…

Enzfj2
Ukraine

Post by Enzfj2 »

@Dana_Dany Danuta
Bardzo lubię Polskę, czuję się w niej jak we własnym kraju. Kilkakrotnie prejechałem własnym samochodem w poprzek tam i z powrotem, byłem w Warszawie i Krakowie, niestety nigdy na dłużej niż kilka dni, przelotnie w Poznaniu i Gdańsku, także w Zakopanem, Wadowicach, Częstochowie i Juracie/Jastarni/Helu.

Wróćmy do jedzenia, ten temat jest bezbrzeżny :)
Polskie słowo 'pierogi' dotyczy zasadniczo trzech rodzajów potraw ukraińskich będących ciastem z nadzieniem:

• вареники — ściśle tego rozmiaru i kształtu, co pisałem powyżej, gotowane w wodzie lub na parze wodnej;
  • пиріжки́ (lp. пиріжо́к) — różnorakich kształtów, pieczone lub smażone na patelni czy w głębokim oleju, ale takie, co mieszczą się na talerzu;
  • пироги́ (lp. пирі́г)— większe ciasto pieczone, co musi być krojone na porcje.

Warenyky jako takie rzadko są robione z mięsem, gotowane ciasto z mięsnym nadzieniem występuje najczęściej w postaci dań innych kuchni narodowych. Poza tym, mogą być faszerowane wszystkim, co się tylko da wyobrazić.
Prawie wszystkie mogą być podawane ze śmetaną, nawet te z ziemniakami, chociaż do tych na słono bardziej pasuje tłuszcz ze skwarkami i smażoną cebulą.

Enzfj2
Ukraine

Post by Enzfj2 »

Returning to the video 2 ^^^
Part 4

ква́шена капу́ста — sour cabbage. It is not a standalone dish, usually a starter or an addition to the main course. Despite the name, it's not as sour as the German Sauerkraut. It is the very old traditional way to conserve cabbage during the winter and a source of vitamine C first of all. The cabbage is cut in stripes and fermented with salt in barrels, now people make it in big glass jars. Sometimes they add a little of carrots or cranberries to give it better color (otherwise it's grayish) and taste. Usually is served with a bit of sunflower oil and, perhaps, fresh onion.
Also it is the base of тушко́вана капу́ста — a simplified version of Polish bigos, mix of sour and fresh cabbage stewed with various kinds of meat and/or mushrooms, with addition of spices, possibly dried plums and other vegetables. Just stewed cabbage without meat can be filling for varenyky or пиріжки́ (small fried or baked pies).

вінегре́т — actually is not a traditional Ukrainian dish, but a Soviet one. The origin of the name is somewhat murky, because very little to nothing of vinegar is used. Prepared of boiled beetroot, carrot and potato, and salted/pickled cucumbers cut in small cubes, beans, onion, perhaps sour cabbage and/or canned green peas, and dressed with oil. Recent variations can include capers or even seaweed like wakame.

Dana_Dany Danuta
Poland

Witam, @Enzfj2!

Muszę przyznać, że bardzo ładnie piszesz po polsku, trafiłam tylko na jedno słowo, które źle napisałeś, a mianowicie: 'prejechałem' - tu zgubiłeś literkę 'z', a powinno być: "przejechałem". Powiem Ci, że ja, jak szybko piszę, to też gubię litery i nazywam to ''zjadaniem liter'' he he :)

Miło słyszeć, że byłeś w Polsce, że Ci się podoba i że czujesz się jak u siebie. Świetnie!

Natomiast temat pierogów jest bardzo dobry, bo ja lubię pierogi i chętnie spróbowałabym jeszcze wasze: вареники, пиріжки́ (lp. пиріжо́к) i пироги́ (lp. пирі́г).

Dziękuję za informacje na temat "kapusty kiszonej"- która często gości w naszej kuchni w postaci: bigosu, kapuśniaku, surówki, smażonej i ugotowanej np. do pierogów.
U nas niektórzy ludzie jeszcze kiszą kapustę, ale chyba mniej, niż kiedyś i raczej do słoików, tak jak pisałeś.

A sałatka "вінегре́т" - wydaje mi się całkiem dobrą sałatką i muszę ją kiedyś zrobić, według Twojego przepisu.

Я знайшла 2 чудових рецепти цього салату, один українською, а інший російською з польськими субтитрами. 🙂

Delicious & EASY Beet Potato Salad - Ukrainian Salad Recipe (Vinaigrette)

ВИНЕГРЕТ Классический / Очень Вкусно, Просто и Полезно ❗

Enzfj2
Ukraine

Post by Enzfj2 »

Cześć, @Dana_Dany Danuta
Spodziewam się, że wkrótce spełni się twoje marzenie i będziesz mogła przyjechać do Lwowa i spróbować to wszystko.

Pierwszy filmik został zrobiony prawdopodobnie w USA: angielski napis na opakowaniu z folią, cebula nazywana 'shallot', ogórki 'pickles', szerokie mikrofalówka i kuchenka z tyłu. Stąd groszek mrożony, a nie konserwowy, który prawdopodobnie ciężko dostać w Stanach.
Pomysł z pieczeniem warzyw zamiast gotowania jest dobry, też tak robimy w domu, tylko buraczki owijamy indywidualnie, marchewki po dwie-trzy, a ziemniaki doskonale pieką się bez folii; wszystko obiera się po pieczeniu. Nigdy nie dodajemy ocet, kiszone kapusta i ogórki dają dość kwaśności. No i polewamy olejem słonecznikowym, nawet gdy mamy oliwkowy.

Do drugiej recepty też mam zastrzeżenia: nie ma marchwi, a buraczków musi buć znacznie więcej. Chociaż obydwie mają prawo do istnienia.

Inny składnik: fasola, może być z puszki, i nawet występować zamiast zemniaków. Koperek według gustu, może być pietruszka lub liście kolendry.

Enzfj2
Ukraine

Post by Enzfj2 »

Comments to the video 2 ^^^
part 5, the last

холоде́ць — meat jelly; traditionally made of not the best kinds of meat, with more bones and connecting tissue, boiled for several hours to get most of collagen into the stock, also can be made of fish; nowadays people often just add gelatine. Due to long preparation time, it is prepared rather for special occasions. it is considered that the best stock is made of rooster or old hen, even for the fish variety, older recipes use pork legs (trots) or shanks. The stock can be made clear with onion and carrot, gelatine added when necessary, poured on the meat separated from bones, perhaps cooked separately, and refrigerated to solidify into jelly. Usually boiled eggs and carrots are added, and decorated with parsley and slices of lemon. Served with grated horseredish (хрін, з хріном).

Ки́ївський торт — Kyiv cake is an emblematic product, which should be 'protected denomination', but Ukraine doesn't have such law. The original recipe belongs to Kyiv Confectionary Factory Roshen, what other confectionaries make under the same name is definitely not the same. The body is made of whipped egg whites, like meringues, with cashew nuts, it is fluffy and crispy at the same time. Definitely worth it to try. Can be bought in proprietary Roshen shops.
The chocolates shown in the movie are also made at the same Roshen factory, the name is Вечірній Київ (Evening Kyiv), dark chocolate with a whole hazelnut.

Dana_Dany Danuta
Poland

Cześć, @Enzfj2!

Bardzo ładnie piszesz po polsku, czasami myślę, że masz polskie korzenie, albo gdzieś już uczyłeś się mojego języka na poważnie! Twierdzę tak, ponieważ ludzie często piszą, że język polski jest bardzo trudny, ale to wcale nie jest prawda, bo jak to mówią: " dla chcącego nic trudnego" i każdego języka można się nauczyć, jak się bardzo chce! prawda?

Kiedyś, gdy będzie już to możliwe, będę chciała koniecznie odwiedzić ten Lwów, ale muszę jeszcze trochę poczekać, aż będzie to możliwe do zrealizowania.

Zauważyłam, że lubisz porównywać te przepisy i podpowiadać co jest lepsze. Zgadzam się z Tobą, że ocet tu jest zbędny, jak dodajemy kiszonych ogórków, czy kiszonej kapusty, bo są dość kwaśne.
Dziękuję Ci, za te dobre podpowiedzi kulinarne, będę je wprowadzała w swojej kuchni.
Powiem Ci, że ludzie starają się poprawiać, polepszać wszystkie sałatki na swój sposób i stąd wychodzi różnorodność tej samej sałatki z różnymi składnikami i smakami, ale może to i dobre, bo mamy później większy wybór do wypróbowania. :)

Enzfj2
Ukraine

Post by Enzfj2 »

Witaj, @Dana_Dany Danuta
Jakoś zrobił się z tego wątku mini-czat, więc przerzuciłem się na prywatną skrzynkę.

Davey944676
Great Britain

Post by Davey944676 »

Just to go with the diminutive Ковбаска sausages, it seems that Poland has a river of that name spelt in the Polish way Kiełbaska - so they have "The Little Sausage River". Brilliant! :)

https://uk.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ковбаска

Dana_Dany Danuta
Poland

What are British names for sausage?

Have you ever wondered where the name came from?
One of the quirks of the English language is many nicknames for things. In the UK, for instance, sausages are affectionately known as 'bangers', as in 'bangers and mash'. Great! 😏🙂

Davey944676
Great Britain

Post by Davey944676 »

Dana_Dany Danuta wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:59 am

What are British names for sausage?...Have you ever wondered where the name came from?

I can't think of any general name for normal sausages apart from "bangers". The name came from the popping noise when frying. :)

We do have a square block of sausage meat called "Lorne sausage" which is sliced and fried. We also have "black pudding", which I suppose is a ""blood sausage".

Oh, and we have "Cumberland sausage", which has a generally more chunky texture than most British sausages and comes in a coil instead of individual "sticks". :)

Return to “Ukrainian”