Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

På kontoret henger han av seg dressjakken. Topic is solved

Moderator: SansEspoir

weerwater

På kontoret henger han av seg dressjakken.

Post by weerwater »

I was just reading an interview )*, and was distracted by the wording of this specific line.
I have not met this way of "taking off ones jacket" before.
I would have used 'ta av' and not 'henge av' here I think.
Ordboken does not recognise the combination of 'henge' and 'av' either.
Could this wording have been 'invented' by the author at the spot, to shape a certain
personal style of writing? Or is it an error? I'm curious...

What would be the correct way of describing this?

)* Kjetil Lund (NVE) in DN-Magasinet: "Den optimistiske byråkraten".

Olav
Norway

Re: På kontoret henger han av seg dressjakken.

Post by Olav »

It is correct.
han henger fra seg den gule oljejakka (Gro Dahle Inflammasjon 138 1995)
https://naob.no/ordbok/henge_1

liv
Norway

Post by liv »

probably henge fra seg is the most common way of saying it but I think some people combine ta av seg and henge fra seg and get henge av seg... You can see it used so it is fine.

weerwater

Post by weerwater »

Olav wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 9:02 pm

It is correct.
han henger fra seg den gule oljejakka (Gro Dahle Inflammasjon 138 1995)
https://naob.no/ordbok/henge_1

Thank you,

I understand from this, that the verb 'henge' (hengte/har hengt) can be used to take off some cloths.
So the verb 'ta' is not the only possibility here.
Should I read/understand this phrase to mean that 'heng fra seg' is
-- a comprimated way of saying two things (to take off your jacket and hang it somewhere) in one phrase, or
-- is it typically (only) used when it concerns hanging cloths like jackets and coats but not for trousers and shoes?

Now the combination in the quote from Gro Dahle, is not "henge av seg". It's henge fra seg.
So the author of DN should have used 'fra'?

(Edited this last part. It crossed Liv's response. That response makes this part of the question redundant.)

anamorphism

Post by anamorphism »

don't know what you mean by comprimate (not an english word), but it seems to be used in the same way as to hang up in english. taking off the article of clothing is implied, but the focus is on the hanging it up part.

it also seems to be used in the same figurative sense as in english. it has the meaning of putting what is associated with what you're hanging up behind you, quitting that thing, etc...

• Haabeth henger fra seg ordførerkjedet etter 26 år som heltidspolitiker. Haabeth is hanging up his mayoral necklace after 26 years as a full-time politician. (he's not going to be mayor anymore)
  • Henger fra seg hijaben: – Det fins ingen bedre dag å ta denne beslutningen. Hanging up your hijab: There's no better time to make the decision. (stop following doctrine of wearing a hijab)
  • Kvinne-bryst er ikke et klesplagg som man henger fra seg i en garderobe. Breasts aren't a layer of clothing you can hang up in a closet/wardrobe/locker.
Last edited by anamorphism on Wed May 11, 2022 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Olav
Norway

Post by Olav »

-- is it typically (only) used when it concerns hanging cloths like jackets and coats but not for trousers and shoes?

You could perfectly say "jeg henger fra meg buksa", but I, for one, very seldom hang my shoes.

weerwater

Post by weerwater »

anamorphism wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 5:27 am

don't know what you mean by comprimate (not an english word), but it seems to be used in the same way as to hang up in english. taking off the article of clothing is implied, but the focus is on the hanging it up part.

Usually I get away with creating 'new' foreign words from Dutch ones ;-)

To my luck Norwegian does indeed know the verb 'komprimere'.You did understand what was intended.
And your answer gives great information Anamorphism. Thank you.

anamorphism

Post by anamorphism »

ahh, compressed. combined or shortened might be a bit more natural sounding in this context though.

Return to “Norwegian (Bokmål)”