Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

How do I rearrange words?

Moderator: SansEspoir

Deleted User 2031

How do I rearrange words?

Post by Deleted User 2031 »

For example when I translate "I don't have apples" it would be "Jeg har ikke eple"

liv
Norway

Re: How do I rearrange words?

Post by liv »

I am not sure I under stand quite what you mean. Maybe another example? One thing to keep in mind is that Norwegian does not use the "do" phrasing as English does (except in a few cases). Ikke will usually follow the verb.

Deleted User 2031

Post by Deleted User 2031 »

I do not understand when ikke goes after the apple or whatever it is and when it does not.

weerwater

Post by weerwater »

John3:16 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 1:44 pm

I do not understand when ikke goes after the apple or whatever it is and when it does not.

Another section on the DuoMe site contains the Tips&Notes for the different DL-courses.
The Tips&Notes collection on spelling and grammar for Bokmål is one of them.
The 'Notes' on Bokmål wordorder, how to arrange the words in a clause, is part of the "Conjunctions"-skill of the course.
Just follow this link: https://duome.eu/tips/en/nb#Conjunctions. It contains the position of 'ikke' too.

anamorphism

Post by anamorphism »

ikke is a so called setningsadverb, which are probably the most difficult words to place correctly in clauses for native english speakers.

i'd recommend reading through the articles under the Setninger [Sentences] section here: https://grammatikk.com/, in addition to reading the duo tips that weerwater linked to. here's another page explaining some of the same stuff: https://www.ntnu.edu/now2/5/grammatikk

if starting a standard main clause with a subject, then ikke is generally going to go right after the first verb in the clause, like liv mentioned: jeg spiser ikke nå.

unfortunately, things quickly get more complicated.

if fronting a non-subject portion of the clause, and the subject is a pronoun, then ikke is typically going to come after the subject pronoun: nå spiser jeg ikke.

but if you want to emphasize the pronoun (perhaps someone asked you if y'all are eating and you want to say that you're not but the person or people you're with is/are), then the ikke is going to come first: nå spiser ikke jeg.

this is because unstressed pronouns don't tend to like to come at the end of clauses in norwegian.

and if the subject is a name or noun (not a pronoun), then ikke is also going to come first: nå spiser ikke hunden/liv.

and then it's going to come before the verb in subordinate/dependent clauses: du vet (at) jeg ikke spiser nå.

and then it can come before the verb in imperative clauses: ikke spis nå!

and then i think it can also come before the verb in certain situations when you're focusing on the verb and not a direct object, but i'm not 100% on this. i know that bare is used in this way. maybe liv can correct me if i'm wrong.

• jeg spiser det ikke. i am not eating that.
  • jeg spiser ikke det. i am not eating that (but i'm eating something else).
  • jeg ikke spiser det. i am not eating that (but maybe i'm drinking it).

but, yeah, as you can see, there's really not a simple answer to your question.

Return to “Norwegian (Bokmål)”