Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

lo suficiente/suficientemente Topic is solved

Moderators: Stasia, xillegas

choosie27
United States of America

lo suficiente/suficientemente

Post by choosie27 »

Came across these in my practice on the reverse Spanish tree

• No estás lanzado el balon lo suficientemente fuerte

• Tu automóvil no es lo suficientemente grande o sí

• Yo no pude correr lo suficientemente rapido

• Yo no estudié lo suficiente

I hadn't come across the lo suficiente/suficientemente usage before and I didn't use the "lo" when translating into Spanish. Duolingo accepted my answers. I did some digging later and came across this explanation
https://www.espanolavanzado.com/uso-de- ... ientemente

My question is whether in the "Lo" in the lo suficiente/suficientemente usage is optional? Is it like the redundant IO pronoun that can sometimes be dropped but that native speakers rarely do? To me this isn't an intuitive construction to remember and unlike the redundant IO pronoun I don't know that I'll get much practice to internalize it.

Please do correct any errors I make ....and I make plenty but I also learn plenty from them :D

Explorer
Portugal

Re: lo suficiente/suficientemente

Post by Explorer »

"Lo" can be optional. It is a redundant pronoun that adds emphasis to the sentence.

It is correct to say: no estás lanzado el balón suficientemente fuerte, tu coche no es suficientemente grande, yo no estudié suficiente, etc

https://www.lawlessspanish.com/grammar/ ... -pronouns/

Notes:

• Suficientemente is placed before adjetives (fuerte, grande, rápido, etc).

• Suficiente qualifies the intensity of an action/verb (estudiar, trabajar)

🇬🇧 🇪🇸 🇵🇹 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 | Learning: 🇯🇵 |

Cifi

Post by Cifi »

[mention]choosie27[/mention], nice to meet you here!

[mention]Explorer[/mention]: So you wouldn't use suficientemente with verbs or suficiente with adjectives?

And both can have lo, but it's optional?

Last edited by Cifi on Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Native: :de: Intermediate: :uk: Lower intermediate: :es: Beginner: :fr: Absolute beginner: 🇬🇷
(If there are errors in what I'm writing in either language, please do correct me - I'll never take it as offense or something like that.)

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

Cifi wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:55 pm

And both can have lo, but it's optional?

It's optional BUT in some cases it sounds natural to use it.

For example:

-Hijo: ya estudié suficiente

-Madre: ¡No has estudiado lo suficiente!

You can drop that lo. It's not necessary but it adds some natural emphasis to the mother's statement. She actually thinks his son isn't prepared enough.

🇬🇧 🇪🇸 🇵🇹 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 | Learning: 🇯🇵 |

Cifi

Post by Cifi »

Native: :de: Intermediate: :uk: Lower intermediate: :es: Beginner: :fr: Absolute beginner: 🇬🇷
(If there are errors in what I'm writing in either language, please do correct me - I'll never take it as offense or something like that.)

choosie27
United States of America

Post by choosie27 »

Cifi wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:55 pm

@choosie27, nice to meet you here!

Likewise, good to know you're active here and your comments/questions are always very helpful. I'm glad to have this space for discussions but I miss the active Duolingo sentence discussion space - its convenience and immediacy are heard to beat :D

Please do correct any errors I make ....and I make plenty but I also learn plenty from them :D

Return to “Language”