Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Combining adjectives that go with ser or estar Topic is solved

Moderators: xillegas, Stasia

Cifi

Combining adjectives that go with ser or estar

Post by Cifi »

Well, adjectives describing the martial status can go with either ser or estar, but if I used estar and combined it with a second adjective that would normally take ser, how would I do that?

E.g. Mr Sanchez is single and handsome (https://forum.duolingo.com/comment/31888311). My try el señor Sánchez está soltero y es guapo was rejected, but in the discussion they say there are solutions with estar, so would it rather be el señor Sánchez está soltero y guapo?

Native: :de: Intermediate: :uk: Lower intermediate: :es: Beginner: :fr: Absolute beginner: 🇬🇷
(If there are errors in what I'm writing in either language, please do correct me - I'll never take it as offense or something like that.)

EranBarLev
Israel

Re: Combining adjectives that go with ser or estar

Post by EranBarLev »

No, "El señor Sánchez está soltero y guapo" is definitely wrong. You can't say "está guapo".
I think "El señor Sánchez está soltero y es guapo" should be accepted. Just report it.

🇮🇱N 🇬🇧C1 🇪🇸B2 🇵🇹B1 🇫🇷B1 🇸🇦A1 🇷🇺A1

gmads
Mexico

Re: Combining adjectives that go with ser or estar

Post by gmads »

Cifi wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:37 am

Mr Sanchez is single and handsome [...] el señor Sánchez está soltero y es guapo was rejected, but in the discussion they say there are solutions with estar, so would it rather be el señor Sánchez está soltero y guapo?

There are two aspects here... being handsome (guapo) is something one is or not, it is a physical attribute that does not change (speaking in general terms, of course), however, being single (soltero) is just a status, something that can change.

Physical characteristics usually go with the verb "ser" (soy tranquila, es alta, es inteligente), and temporary states usually go with "estar" (estoy contenta, está enojada, estamos cansados). This of course is not an actual fixed rule, it depends more on what one intends to transmit. For example, the following first sentence would convey the idea that the woman spoken about is beautiful by nature, while the second one could transmit the idea that in that moment, because of the way she dressed, she looks terrific.

• ella es una mujer hermosa (she is a beautiful woman)

• ella está hermosa (she is beautiful)

Given that DL forces us to use literal translations... one usually ends up with sentences that would never be used in the target language.

I would translate the sentence, "Mr Sanchez is single and handsome, " as "El Sr. Sánchez es guapo y está soltero," first remarking the physical attribute and then his marital status.

:hash:  ㆍespañol ㆍSentenceDiscussion

🦎  Amazonia is now becoming a carbon source.  🦎
Elysium - Master of the rainforest

🇲🇽 :us:  ·  :it: 🇧🇷  ·  :ru: 🇦🇪

Return to “Language”