Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

"to develop" in Turkish Topic is solved

David680268
Germany

"to develop" in Turkish

Post by David680268 »

Hi all,

Duo wants me to translate the question

"Has Turkey really developed in the last ten years?"

I looked up the word "to develop" in my dictionary and found a range of options. I picked "kalkınmak"

"Türkiye son on yılda gerçekten kalkındı mı?"

Duo wants "gelişmek":

"Türkiye son on yılda gerçekten gelişti mi?"

Is my translation wrong? I could not find anything in the sentence discussions.

Thank you all in advance!

DmGabin

Re: "to develop" in Turkish

Post by DmGabin »

I think, your phrase is fine [1] (by the way, the Justice and Development Party of Turkey is Adalet ve Kalkınma Partisi in Turkish). But Duolingo rejects synonymous words and expressions in quite many instances. That’s life.

[1] Here is a sample:

YENİ MESAJ / ORHAN DEDE
Bugün 2012 yılının son günü, yarın yeni bir yıla giriyoruz. Türkiye 2002 yılından bu yana Adalet ve Kalkınma Partisi (AKP) tarafından tek partiyle idare ediliyor. Bir yılı daha bitirirken herkes şu sorunun cevabını merak ediyor: Türkiye gerçekten kalkındı mı?

https://muratyky.wordpress.com/2013/09/ ... ale-geldi/ :

David680268
Germany

Post by David680268 »

DmGabin wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 3:11 pm

I think, your phrase is fine [1] (by the way, the Justice and Development Party of Turkey is Adalet ve Kalkınma Partisi in Turkish). But Duolingo rejects synonymous words and expressions in quite many instances. That’s life.

Thank you very much for your kind help! I am fully aware of the problems Duo has with synonyms. Over the last two years or so, I have sent quite a lot of suggestions for German sentences that should be accepted while doing the 'reverse' Russian trees. Closing down the sentence discussions was a really stupid decision because Duo is wasting all the knowledge from native speakers. Computers simply aren't very good at certain tasks.

Danika_Dakika
United States of America

Post by Danika_Dakika »

What's are your favorite Turkish dictionaries? I'm always on the look-out! ;)

There's one aspect of kalkınmak that catches my eye. Kalkınmak looks like it would be a reflexive form of kalkmak. It sort of makes sense how you could start with a meaning of "to get up, rise up, stand up" -- add the reflexive voice to make it "to get oneself up, raise oneself up, stand oneself up" -- and end up with a verb understood as "to make progress, to develop, to advance."

Sometimes these formed words take on a whole new life and wander far from their original meaning, and I cannot say whether that is happening here. But even if that did happen, there could still be tucked inside kalkınmak a sense of self-development (pulling yourself up by your bootstraps, perhaps?), and that might seem strange in certain sentences.

Kolay gelsin,
Danika_Dakika

Duolingo Mod, TR Image <> EN Image

David680268
Germany

Post by David680268 »

Danika_Dakika wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 12:41 am

What's are your favorite Turkish dictionaries? I'm always on the look-out! ;)

I use the German dictionary pons.com. German is my native language. I guess I should figure out how to add a flag to my account and upload an avatar, but I am too lazy. They appear to have an English version of the site, but this does not include an English to Turkish dictionary. You simply get Turkish <-> German instead of Türkisch <-> Deutsch. I doubt that really helps. :lol:
The dictionary offers all the information that I need. It has cases associated with verbs, irregularities such as şehir -> şehrin (instead of şehirin) and example sentences.

Danika_Dakika wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 12:41 am

There's one aspect of kalkınmak that catches my eye. Kalkınmak looks like it would be a reflexive form of kalkmak. It sort of makes sense how you could start with a meaning of "to get up, rise up, stand up" -- add the reflexive voice to make it "to get oneself up, raise oneself up, stand oneself up" -- and end up with a verb understood as "to make progress, to develop, to advance."

I actually had the same idea - I read about reflexive and passive suffixes more than a year ago, so I still have a vague understanding of them. I looked up "kalkmak" and it means something like "to depart" (for a car, train, ship etc.), or to get up (from bed). So the idea of some kind of movement away from a starting point is clear, but I couldn't really make the connection to "to develop".

Thank you again!

Danika_Dakika
United States of America

Post by Danika_Dakika »

I have heard such great things about the Pons dictionary that I regret knowing so little German!

David680268
Germany

Post by David680268 »

Danika_Dakika wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 1:29 am

I have heard such great things about the Pons dictionary that I regret knowing so little German!

Most of the times I use leo.org, but it does not have Turkish, at least not yet. The other two resources that I use regularly are Context Reverso - for example sentences - and wiktionary. I am sure that you already know these. A few days ago, I corrected an exercise on Busuu by someone from Kyrgyzstan, as far as I remember. Her name was жазгуль, and I wanted to know what it meant. Obviously, гуль is the Turkish gül, but I learned that it means "flower" in most other Turkic languages, whereas it means 'rose' in Turkish (where çiçek is the word for flower). Wiktionary also tells me that the word is of Persian origin. жаз turned out to be the Kazakh or Kyrgyz version of the Turkish word 'yaz'. So her name was "summer flower", or maybe "spring flower", which is quite pretty. I also frequently look up the Turkish words that do not follow vowel harmony, as these are mostly Arab or Persian loan words. An example is 'hareket', which is of Arabic origin. I don't know any Arab or Persian and I am unlikely to ever learn one of these languages, but I find these things very fascinating.

Danika_Dakika
United States of America

Post by Danika_Dakika »

For words-in-context, you might want to also check out Glosbe https://glosbe.com/ . I think it relies on similar resources to Reverso, but I generally get more results, and can expand the search based on the stem of the word, which is hugely valuable in Turkish.

Wiktionary is surprisingly good for etymologies, but if you ever want to go deeper on a word, you'll like Nişanyan Sözlük https://www.nisanyansozluk.com/ . It's entirely in Turkish, but you get an amazing sense of how words are connected. [Since it's written formally, Google Translate handles the text pretty well!]

The rest of my favorites are on our "Resources" page on Duolinguists https://duolinguists.wordpress.com/2022 ... ources-tr/ .

-Danika_Dakika

David680268
Germany

Post by David680268 »

Danika_Dakika wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 6:47 pm

For words-in-context, you might want to also check out Glosbe https://glosbe.com/ . I think it relies on similar resources to Reverso, but I generally get more results, and can expand the search based on the stem of the word, which is hugely valuable in Turkish.

Wiktionary is surprisingly good for etymologies, but if you ever want to go deeper on a word, you'll like Nişanyan Sözlük https://www.nisanyansozluk.com/ . It's entirely in Turkish, but you get an amazing sense of how words are connected. [Since it's written formally, Google Translate handles the text pretty well!]

The rest of my favorites are on our "Resources" page on Duolinguists https://duolinguists.wordpress.com/2022 ... ources-tr/ .

Thank you very much for Nişanyan Sözlük, that looks interesting (and a bit intimidating :lol: ). I am also glad to find G.L. Lewis' book "Teach yourself Turkish" on your list of resources for the Turkish learner. It is the first book on the Turkish language that I bought. Actually the seller cheated me out of my money as he clearly stated that he was offering the 'new' edition from 1988 (or so), but all I ever got was the edition from 1953! :lol: This book is absolutely awesome, but one needs a very steep learning curve. There are a lot of exercises at the end of each chapter, and I used to post my solutions on Busuu. I got a lot of very kind help from Turkish native speakers there.

@.bdllh
Netherlands

Post by @.bdllh »

It doesnt sound good if you use the verb kalkınmak for human beings. There is no "kalkınmış insan".
However it is fitting for the countries. “Kalkınmış ve kalkınmakta olan ülkeler."
So the translation is supposed to be accepted bye DUO.

David680268
Germany

Post by David680268 »

@.bdllh wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:06 am

It doesnt sound good if you use the verb kalkınmak for human beings. There is no "kalkınmış insan".
However it is fitting for the countries. “Kalkınmış ve kalkınmakta olan ülkeler."
So the translation is supposed to be accepted bye DUO.

Thank you very much for your explanation!

Return to “Turkish”