Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Accusative verbs Topic is solved

MarjanZahedi

Accusative verbs

Post by MarjanZahedi »

Could someone please explain to me if there is a list of verbs that needs to be in a accusative form in the sentence. Sevmek is the only one that I know.

🇮🇷 🇺🇸 🇹🇷

DmGabin

Re: Accusative verbs

Post by DmGabin »

I don’t think that there is such a list, because such verbs are way too numerous. Consult a dictionary. Well, one more to learn: unutmak = to forget:

MarjanZahedi

Post by MarjanZahedi »

Thank you DmGabin

🇮🇷 🇺🇸 🇹🇷

MarjanZahedi

Post by MarjanZahedi »

Thank you

Last edited by MarjanZahedi on Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

🇮🇷 🇺🇸 🇹🇷

O.Zoe
Greece

Post by O.Zoe »

Oh, so that's the infamous Tarkan! Tarkan yakışıklıdır. :p

🇬🇷 N :gb: C1 :de: B1 :it: A1

MarjanZahedi

Post by MarjanZahedi »

Thank you DmGabin for the song, it’s beautiful and I hope soon I will be able to fully understand the meaning. Tesekkurler

🇮🇷 🇺🇸 🇹🇷

@.bdllh
Netherlands

Post by @.bdllh »

Let me give you some examples

Bilmek, anlamak, duymak, görmek, hissetmet, öngörmek, açıklamak, özlemek, istemek etc.

Danika_Dakika
United States of America

Post by Danika_Dakika »

@MarjanZahedi --
I want to make sure I understand which question you are asking, because I think you got an answer for (A), but not for (B).

(A) Which verbs "take" the accusative for their direct object -- instead of some other case?

• Yes, a good dictionary will list which case to use for which verb to get which meaning. Some online dictionaries do not, but my favorite does.
  • You can find lists for different cases posted on various sites, but they are usually limited to a few examples. Since the ones that can take the accusative is such a longer list, you might do better to look for lists of common verbs that take other unexpected cases instead.

(B) Which verbs very nearly always "require" the accusative case for their direct object?

Bad news: There is not a list. We know about sevmek, but the reason we use the accusative with it is not really a rule -- it is about what the verb means. It is hard to say you "love/like" an indefinite thing. Even when you love/like that thing generally, you are really saying that you love every instance of it, and that is sort of specific too.

I love gardens. --> Bahçeleri seviyorum.
I love a parade! [which really means you love any and all parades] --> Geçit törenini/törenlerini seviyorum.

Good news: There are not many verbs like this. Besides sevmek, the only verbs I can think that behave sort of like this are unutmak (already mentioned) -- because you cannot forget something that is indefinite -- and beklemek (sometimes?) -- because mostly you wait for a definite thing or a completely generic thing. Not an exhaustive list obviously, but a different way to think about it!

--Danika_Dakika

Duolingo Mod, TR Image <> EN Image

David680268
Germany

Post by David680268 »

MarjanZahedi wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:08 pm

Could someone please explain to me if there is a list of verbs that needs to be in a accusative form in the sentence. Sevmek is the only one that I know.

Maybe let us just make our own?

beklemek = to wait

Here is a sentence from Duolingo:

Hostesi bekliyorum. = I am waiting for the flight attendant.

Return to “Turkish”