Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Goodbye Topic is solved

Siobhan688078
Wales

Goodbye

Post by Siobhan688078 »

Hi there, I don't know whether anyone will take any interest, but by the end of this week I will have pulled the plug on Duolingo - I can't stomach any more demotions to the Obsedian league although I put my profile on private and put a lot of of time and work in that I can ill afford at the moment, correct answers not being "accepted" by the Duo robot, more tedious going through the same old rubbish with squeaky voices and no grading or any grammatical progression with languages I only want to keep going while I can't travel (Yet). So I'll be archiving whatever I think is important and from next Monday onwards, you can find me on Proboard's Italian Club or on Life and Language hosted by HeyMarlana, also on Proboards. Shame it had to come to this before I had taken every language to the level I wanted, but I've had enough and can't afford to waste any more time with a language app that I new was dead when they announced the forum closures. Take care and farewell

Siobhan

Last edited by Siobhan688078 on Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Corinnebelle

Re: Goodbye

Post by Corinnebelle »

You can always post here, there's no stipulation that you must be doing Duolingo to be part of Duome. But if you wish to say goodbye, I hope you find the things you need to continue your learning progress. Duolingo is just an introduction to languages, I hope you can take things to the next level! :)

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Siobhan688078
Wales

Post by Siobhan688078 »

Thank you for your reply, I wasn't sure how much this forum and Duo were connected, so I will carry on posting occasionally here. Being a highly qualified and experienced teacher of Business English and Foreign Languages for years, I am well aware of what levels you can reach using Duo and also its limitations. As you said yourself, Duo is great for starting out, especially if you haven't got the time to practice your target languages person to person and I would still recommend it for beginners, especially for the more exotic languages that otherwise you would have to invest a lot of money and time just to get your head around the basics. All the best with your own language learning! O

wayfarer

Post by wayfarer »

I don't care at all about leagues (Obsidian or otherwise) but I do agree that Duolingo is just not worth the trouble any more (if it ever was). In some ways I would even say it's counterproductive to the goal of learning a langauge to a decent level in a reasonable timeframe.

I haven't been back there in months. I pop in here fairly regularly and will continue to do so. I wish this place were more active, and busier with lots of participation, but maybe it's still early days.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Siobhan688078 wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:05 pm

Thank you for your reply, I wasn't sure how much this forum and Duo were connected, so I will carry on posting occasionally here. Being a highly qualified and experienced teacher of Business English and Foreign Languages for years, I am well aware of what levels you can reach using Duo and also its limitations. As you said yourself, Duo is great for starting out, especially if you haven't got the time to practice your target languages person to person and I would still recommend it for beginners, especially for the more exotic languages that otherwise you would have to invest a lot of money and time just to get your head around the basics. All the best with your own language learning! O

Yes, drop in anytime! You are always welcome here!

Duolingo has been quite good for Hebrew for me.

Thank you! I am almost finished the Hebrew tree!

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Stasia
Poland

Post by Stasia »

[mention]Siobhan688078[/mention], as [mention]Corinnebelle[/mention] noted, there is no direct connection between this forum and Duolingo app. Yes, we were born out of the ashes of the old Duo forum, but this forum aspires to be a lot more than just a replacement of Duolingo forum. We are creating here a space where speakers of different languages can interact much more easily than on the old Duolingo forum, and I'd say that our ambition is to not be limited to Duolingo languages, but to be a home for other languages as well.

As [mention]wayfarer[/mention] noted, these are still the early days so we still need to bring in more people who are speakers or learners of more languages!!

Native: :poland:; Fluent: :es:, :us:; Getting there: Image; Intermediate: :fr:; Beginner: :ukraine:

zerogrqvity
United States of America

Post by zerogrqvity »

Oh wow! I'm so sorry about that! May the best in life come down to you.

And we will always respect your decision! Your opinion matters, everyone's does! We will miss you. :heart:

👤♠ ㄥєт 𝓪𝕝Ⓛ ʸᗝᑌ 𝒹ᗝ в𝕖 𝐝Øⓝᗴ ⒾⓃ ⓒό𝓝ᖴι𝔡ⓔ𝓝𝐜𝓔 🎈🍫

Native: 🇺🇸 Learning: 🇯🇵 🇪🇸

Siobhan688078
Wales

Post by Siobhan688078 »

zerogrqvity wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:18 pm

Oh wow! I'm so sorry about that! May the best in life come down to you.

And we will always respect your decision! Your opinion matters, everyone's does! We will miss you. :heart:

Thank you very much for your kind and warm words. As others have pointed out, there is no connection with Duo as such, so you will definitely see me around in this forum, especially as I'll have a bit more time from next week onwards... 8-)

Siobhan688078
Wales

Post by Siobhan688078 »

Stasia wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:38 pm

@Siobhan688078, as @Corinnebelle noted, there is no direct connection between this forum and Duolingo app. Yes, we were born out of the ashes of the old Duo forum, but this forum aspires to be a lot more than just a replacement of Duolingo forum. We are creating here a space where speakers of different languages can interact much more easily than on the old Duolingo forum, and I'd say that our ambition is to not be limited to Duolingo languages, but to be a home for other languages as well.

As @wayfarer noted, these are still the early days so we still need to bring in more people who are speakers or learners of more languages!!

Have been dabbling with Occitan, Basque and Lithuanian on clozemaster, so watch this space... 8-)

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]Siobhan688078[/mention] Cool! Duome hopes to expand to new languages, so that will be interesting! :) I notice we have Quechua, I think this is a forum not related to Duolingo? Hebrew also has a Biblical Hebrew section for classical Hebrew and ancient Hebrew, not quite the same as modern Hebrew. Meanings change over time.

duome

Post by duome »

It is technically possible and very easy to add new language codes (Lithuanian, Basque, whatever) and fill the existing database with new sample words and sentences (+translations) to have simple typing or reading practice sessions with them. Then we can expand it to be something more. It's up to us.

https://duome.eu/practice/type/it

Siobhan688078
Wales

Post by Siobhan688078 »

Fantastic. Just tested your listening an typing practice for Italian, it reminds me of clozemaster and is very much my cup of tea! If you need any help with Occitan or Basque input, give us a shout! 8-)

Siobhan688078
Wales

Post by Siobhan688078 »

Hello there again. Thought I'd give you an update, as I have just had to leave clozemaster behind, too, because of restrictions they recently introduced to how many sentences you can do per language with the free version (30 per language). I find this really irritating, especially as up to now I could practice as much as I wanted (which is important to me as I need to sit an A level Welsh exam, for example) and I was never a great fan of this type of pushy sales tactics where you take away the toys after a while...
I am doing a bit of memrise at the moment, but wouldn't be too surprised if they went the same way.
I would be really interested in your own experiences with other language learning apps...O

GeezerTheGeek
United States of America

Post by GeezerTheGeek »

I gave up on spoken responses with Duo. I never could figure why what I was saying was wrong. Fortunately, Duo allows you to turn off "Speaking Exercises" in the profile settings, so I did that. I've heard that Rosetta Stone is the best for learning language phonetics so I'm planning to try that app after I feel that I have progressed far enough with Duo.

Siobhan688078
Wales

Post by Siobhan688078 »

Thanks, my friend who's still on Duo did the same thing as it was holding up his practicing routine and I had to go through it with him to understand what was he was doing wrong. Has Rosetta Stone got a free version? With the current cost of living crisis in the UK I've had to suspend quite a few direct debits to charities that I support, so I don't want to start paying for an online app at present.

Siobhan688078
Wales

Post by Siobhan688078 »

Just found this really useful website:

https://effectivelanguagelearning.com/l ... se-reviews

I'm going to make a pot of coffee and have a good read through 8-)

IceVajal
Germany

Post by IceVajal »

[mention]Siobhan688078[/mention], I live in Germany and here many public libraries offer Rosetta Stone. You only pay the annual fee for the library to get access to RS.

N :de: - B2 :us: - Beginner :ru: (Busuu: B1) - :netherlands:

Siobhan688078
Wales

Post by Siobhan688078 »

IceVajal wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:25 pm

@Siobhan688078, I live in Germany and here many public libraries offer Rosetta Stone. You only pay the annual fee for the library to get access to RS.

This is a really good idea; our local library here is also pretty well stocked and I'll have a look on Monday. 8-)

b05aplmun.ca
United States of America

Post by b05aplmun.ca »

IceVajal wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:25 pm

@Siobhan688078, I live in Germany and here many public libraries offer Rosetta Stone. You only pay the annual fee for the library to get access to RS.

I'll just add that in the States and (I believe) in Britain, there isn't even an annual library fee for the public libraries. You just need to sign up for a library card.

IceVajal
Germany

Post by IceVajal »

[mention]b05aplmun.ca[/mention], even in Germany it varies, but usually there is an annual fee. I paid 22€ for one year, so it's a good deal. Kids pay less as well as unemployed.

N :de: - B2 :us: - Beginner :ru: (Busuu: B1) - :netherlands:

Dana_Dany Danuta
Poland

Post by Dana_Dany Danuta »

Hi, [mention]b05aplmun.ca[/mention]!

In Poland, there are also no fees for borrowing books from public libraries.
When enrolling in the library, you only pay for a library card, but it is a very small amount. :)

Native language: 🇵🇱 Duolingo levels

Be smart and write poems. :D

Return to “Random Thoughts”